Basic home made fish cure recipe

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Crusader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Basic home made fish cure recipe
    Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 8:50am
Reel Crusader View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I brought my Bradley up to the BOI for summer to learn how to smoke fish properly and boy what a learning curve! Plenty of advice online but I have started with advice from this forum and what looks like great advice on salt/sugar curing from an article by Joe Dennehy in Bay Fisher (google it).

Many "recipes" start with the Bradley Maple Cure, but I understand this contains nitrites plus it seems expensive for what must be basically salt and sugar with nitrite and flavouring added? Or am I missing something?

I'm sure it does the trick but I would prefer a home made approach to both keep cost down and to avoid adding nitrites to the food I eat and share with my whanau. What home made substitutes/curing recipes do people here use?