WTB Braid 80lb-100lb

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote go fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WTB Braid 80lb-100lb
    Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 8:51pm
go fish View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Chur

Looking for 80lb - 100lb braid thought id check on here before going to the shops cheers
Tin can tricky stick clan
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DenimViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 10:22pm
DenimViper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

What brand ya after?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote go fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 10:32pm
go fish View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Jerry brown
Jigging master
Gosen

Anything that can do the damage at the 3 kings
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DenimViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 12:58am
DenimViper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Check NZ jigging buy sell FB page. Chris Wong was selling some JB but it's unmetered
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Structfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 9:20am
Structfab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I've got a bulk spool of Daiwa Saltiga Boat Braid -PE8 -100lb -metered
....how much you after? approx 1000m left
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Colombo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 10:26am
Colombo View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

At the Kings I would suggest you go with very high quality PE 8 and PE 10. YGK or Varivas 10x would be my preference. With the best line and all precautions (grommits, knot sleeve, chain knots) I have been plain bust off. Have your drags serviced, take all precautions. Also a learning after a few trips is that 180lb / 200lb nylon is better than fluorocarbon. The fish put too much pressure on flourocarbon such that it’s brittle nature causes it to shatter.

Don’t take any chances up there - you will end up regretting it.

Good luck & enjoy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Structfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 10:41am
Structfab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Colombo Colombo wrote:

The fish put too much pressure on flourocarbon such that it’s brittle nature causes it to shatter.
Good luck & enjoy.
I'm having a hard time taking this seriously....what brand FC leader is "shattering" under tension??
apart from casting braids, I think the only benefit of the high end braids is the thinner diameter to achieve slightly more capacity on smaller sized reels. 100lb JB, Gosen or Boat braid will be just fine. Never been busted off the PE8 Boat braid @ 3 kings or Ranfulry Banks. I wouldn't trust cheap chinese braid tho
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote go fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 1:55pm
go fish View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

How much you looking for to part with it
I have a saltiga 6500 with a spare spool that im wanting to fill up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Structfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 2:07pm
Structfab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by go fish go fish wrote:

How much you looking for to part with it
I have a saltiga 6500 with a spare spool that im wanting to fill up
$150 + postage from coromandel.
should be enough for 3 x fills of a 6500

or/ possible trade for high end stickbait approx 100g

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Colombo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 6:33pm
Colombo View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

The flouro was Yozuri 170lb.

Hooked the kingfish at 70m. Was early in the session so my gear was fine. Fishing with JM Enchanter Special rod and PowerSpell PE7 with drags perfectly serviced. Skipper advised the reef was at 90m. After escalating drag pressure I had been unable to stop the fish after it took 3 colours. Sunset the drag and it pulled really hard and then bust. The flouro came up literally shattered from around the grommit. The deckie said they’d seen it happen before several times and preferred clients to use heavy nylon. We all switched to 200lb nylon and had no more leader failure that trip, including catching a 42kg kingfish. All happened aboard Enchanter.

I have fished Daiwa boat braid plenty and never had a problem with it. I personally wouldn’t pay all that $$ to go to the Kings and then save on braid. Can end in tears. Also for the puka & Bass drops I think the thinner braid is an advantage.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote ChrisW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 9:32pm
ChrisW View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

The flouro was Yozuri 170lb.

Hooked the kingfish at 70m. Was early in the session so my gear was fine. Fishing with JM Enchanter Special rod and PowerSpell PE7 with drags perfectly serviced. Skipper advised the reef was at 90m. After escalating drag pressure I had been unable to stop the fish after it took 3 colours. Sunset the drag and it pulled really hard and then bust. The flouro came up literally shattered from around the grommit.

If you were fishing 20m off the bottom and fish took out 3 colours (30m), he took you through the reef.  Any leader - FC or nylon will come out shredded.  The other times when using nylon, the fish were smaller or you were probably just lucky.

All I use during the last 12 years going to the 3 Kings and Ranfurly is FC.  Nylon just cut itself off at the solid ring with heavy fish.  This was all before the Ring and Grommet became available. 
give it death!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Structfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 9:53pm
Structfab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by ChrisW ChrisW wrote:

If you were fishing 20m off the bottom and fish took out 3 colours (30m), he took you through the reef.  Any leader - FC or nylon will come out shredded.  The other times when using nylon, the fish were smaller or you were probably just lucky.

All I use during the last 12 years going to the 3 Kings and Ranfurly is FC.  Nylon just cut itself off at the solid ring with heavy fish.  This was all before the Ring and Grommet became available. 
agree with this analysis. Fishing where I'd set my PE7 drag @ strike, and then to go to sunset with intact 170lb leader ....that set would be at the bottom of the ocean
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Colombo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 9:54pm
Colombo View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yes I would have reached that conclusion myself except for the fact that the flouro was splintered and at the curve of the grommit - not cut. Like I said, the guys on Enchanter said they’d seen it several times before.

Anyway - do what makes you happy. If you want to use 170lb Yozuri flouro I have a virtually full roll I am happy to sell for half the shelf price as the only useful thing I can of doing with it is clearing salt from my tell-tale...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Colombo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 10:02pm
Colombo View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Chris ask your mate Roy as he was right next to me when it happened, he saw it all, and he heard what the Enchanter guys had to say, and we all switched to 200lb nylon after that, and we caught massive kingfish that trip - largest I had went 42kg and we practically did not see one under 30kg.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Colombo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 10:08pm
Colombo View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

There it is boys - half price - put your money where your mouth is.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Structfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 10:10pm
Structfab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Chris ask your mate Roy as he was right next to me when it happened, he saw it all, and he heard what the Enchanter guys had to say, and we all switched to 200lb nylon after that, and we caught massive kingfish that trip - largest I had went 42kg and we practically did not see one under 30kg.
do you know what your strike drag was set at?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Structfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 10:13pm
Structfab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

There it is boys - half price - put your money where your mouth is.
that's 130lb by the way......but perfect for the Kings. Bargain
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Colombo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 10:16pm
Colombo View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Great! It’s yours for half price. PM me and we’re done 👍
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Colombo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 10:18pm
Colombo View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

No not really - I use the highly scientific “pull test” - what I can tell you is that the fish was super strong, had massive head shakes, and was unstoppable on that flouro.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Structfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 10:22pm
Structfab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great! It’s yours for half price. PM me and we’re done 👍
haha...I've already got stacks of FC and mono leaders thanks. Bargain for Go Fish if he needs some for his trip. I only got involved in this discussion cause I have braid he may have wanted
Page  12>