Surf casting setup for an absolute beginner

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tashy_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Surf casting setup for an absolute beginner
    Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 3:40pm
tashy_nz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi everyone, I know this question has been asked before, but not recently. 
I've been rock-fishing with a Shimano BTR 8000D on a cheap 7ft Aquatip rod. 
I'm keen to get a second setup that would allow me to cast a lot further - I've seen people fish off the beach, which is unheard of where I come from! 
Hence I'm in the market for a decent, inexpensive ($150-$200) rod and reel for surfcasting and I'm overwhelmed by the options that are out there. 
Any suggestions would be much appreciated. 
Thanks in advance, Tash.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 4:24pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Go to rebel sports or warehouse buy a 10/12ft 2 piece rod for under $100 and transfer reel over??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 5:04pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Son does a lot surf casting , mostly off the beach.
And nails it near every time..
He has cheap gear...the secret... 'walking' the beach at low tides, espec on very low tides....and know to recognise where the rips , the holes , urrents are when look at the surf from back up on the beach.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 9:23pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good call on the rod, PJC. I have a fairly old Okuma 3 pc rod which is still going strong - you don't need to spend a lot when starting out.
If you feel like splashing out a little, you could go to H&F or similar and get a well-matched combo.
If you do stick with switching over the Baitrunner, which is a good size for balancing with a surf rod, you might want to consider getting a spare spool though. Surfcasting has been transformed by the use of braid, which allows for better distance casting - which can be crucial at some beaches. So you can have a spool with mono for boat fishing, and braid for the beach.
Either way, it's best to add a section of shock leader before the main fishing leader for the surf fishing. It is wound down on to the spool when you cast and can handle the force of catapulting a 4-5oz sinker - a normal straylining mainline of about 6-8kg mono sometimes can't. Nothing worse than a potential world record cast which is followed by a wicked crack and your carefully tied rig sailing off to the horizon, no longer connected to your main line.
Last time i saw that was at Mangonui wharf. The guy looked around pretending nothing had happened, and all the other fishos bowed their heads and thought, been there mate!

Beach and rock fishing done well is a real art, and it's great to watch the experts in action. An open beach is a brutal place for gear, and challenges your routines of re-baiting, dealing with fish etc. 

Above all, wear sensible clothing, have a big respect for the power of the sea, and be safe!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigstrapping Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 10:39pm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tashy_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 10:27am
tashy_nz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks guys! 
I've borrowed a friend's 14ft rod that he doesn't want back till the end of summer and I'll look for a cheap reel at rebel - costs more to get an extra spool for my baitrunner than it would to buy a low-end surfcasting reel. :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rowboat bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 9:02am
rowboat bob View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Rebel sports are not cheap. Try Go fish in Takapuna or Marine Deals. Even better buy second hand off trade me or on this site. I've bought hardly used second hand stuff before for like half price or less. Best tip for surf casting , wind a 40lb shock leader the length of your rod and a couple turns on the reel. It means you can really put effort into the cast without busting off, just make sure that the knot connecting to the main line is at the bottom of the spool , ie so that the shock leader turns don't get snagged on it when leaving the spool.