900lb and released

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 900lb and released
    Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 9:22pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 10:11am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bloody hell what a fight!Shocked
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Norseman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 4:02pm
Norseman View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Holy Crap!!!
"Nothing is so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength." St. Francis de Sales
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote White snake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 4:29pm
White snake View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Matt Watson legend mateđź‘Ť
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 5:06pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Lord suffer me to catch a fish. Just one like that would be fine!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 6:32pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Oh my god,
I want to be on that rod and yet I don't.

Great vid.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 8:25pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not wanting to take anything away from what was an amazing feat but early on in the clip during the hooking of this fish Matt did the initial winding and I would presume hooking of the fish then passed the rod to the angler surely if this was a record fish was had it been weighed would have disqualified itself. Just seeking some clarification.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote churbay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 8:29pm
churbay View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Holy **** that was epic.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 8:15am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Incrediable endurance. Interesting the comments made on YouTube learnt a bit from that also.

Personally I’d rather spear a flounder than fight a fish for that long! It would have killed me.

Top effort lads
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 8:31am
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Tzer,
I think you'll find matts comments in a number of his missions suggests he has little interest in chasing records.
Likes the challenge and results from his and his crews efforts.
He also makes the point that for these larger fish he likes the use of circles to achieve the full experience of a hooked and undamaged fish.
Just his style really.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 9:31am
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

EPIC....
Tight lines
PE Pete
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KikBac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 7:18pm
KikBac View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Tzer Tzer wrote:

Not wanting to take anything away from what was an amazing feat but early on in the clip during the hooking of this fish Matt did the initial winding and I would presume hooking of the fish then passed the rod to the angler surely if this was a record fish was had it been weighed would have disqualified itself. Just seeking some clarification.

Quite right Craig, Not to mention switching anglers at the 18 min mark would definitely disqualify the catch.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 7:29pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by KikBac KikBac wrote:

Quite right Craig, Not to mention Matt touching the mainline at the 17 min mark and then switching anglers at the 18 min mark would definitely disqualify the catch.
As Matt explains the switch was to try to get fish up and released,as said he if he thought the fish was done he would of pushed Dan. Not knowing the rules around gamefish I suspect they just wanted to release in a unharmed manner asap due to the time .  Not a fan MW but all credit in this case,hows that evinrude,running 25hrs non stop??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 8:48pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Simply awsome.
Ha yeah. Im not sure what Matt was more happy with..... Battling a monster for that long or the fact his Evinrude ran for 25 hrs. I bet if he had a Yammie on the back it wouldnt of even got a mention.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 9:26pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by KikBac KikBac wrote:

Quite right Craig, Not to mention switching anglers at the 18 min mark would definitely disqualify the catch.

I have no problems with switching anglers towards the end as I think Matt had (correct me if Im wrong)  mentioned that this now would have disqualified the catch under IGFA rules but it is initial hooking & passing of the rod to the angler that concerned me, now what would have happen if the angler had managed to fight the fish and land it, would Matt still have disqualified the catch. Now under know circumstances am I accusing Matt of any wrong doing, Im simply putting it out there based on the opening segments of the video.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 10:26pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Tzer you are correct, the fish would have been disqualified when Matt took the rod from the rod holder and passed it to the angler. Other than that and the change of anglers there are a few other actions that also may have DQed the fish. It certainly appeared that Matt supported the rod close to the tip soon after he dumped the leader for the second time at the 12hr mark. I also suspect he handled the double at some time, another no no.
No records have been claimed so well done to the boys, great effort.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 7:47pm
Coutta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Whether one, two or three people touched the rod that was a bloody incredible effort and piece of footage.  I could not help but feel sorry for the original angler.  Doubt if I would have gone anywhere near as long as he did.
I have one comment however.  At the end I didn't go much on Matt's spiel on circle hooks and him saying that anyone who has landed a sword on a swallowed J hook has not caught a sword.  Not everyone has Matt's knowledge, experience and resources.  Most would give their left one to catch a fish a third that size and a lot would like to keep it and eat it as Matt has done on a lot of occasions. Could a bit of elitism be coming in here  Also, correct me if I'm wrong but on the "shorts" of the bait rigging part I could have sworn Matt was holding up a bait rigged on a J hook?  Again, great effort.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 8:30pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Coutta,

You clearly recognised the effort of all including that angler who was able to hold that rod for that time, epic.

I believe Matt is just projecting and displaying his style of fishing based on his terminal tackle techniques.
It's a choice all anglers can make.

And there is truth around the fact that a circle hooked fish no matter what species is a tougher adversary than a gut, gill or similar style hook up that deteriorates the fishes physical condition during the fight.

It's only a style and the reward of anyfish caught of that immensity no matter how hooked or fought is an impressive result as you pointed out.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 9:16pm
Coutta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yep, understand where you are coming from Mattoo but his choice of words could have been better.  I realise there was a bit of adrenaline flowing after such an epic fight but I believe he was wrong in saying anyone who has caught a sword which swallowed a J hook hasn't caught a sword. I'm not anti Matt Watson or trying to start an arguement and as I've said I admire that particular effort. He just could have been a bit less disrespectful of anglers who lack his ability.S**t, I haven't even caught a marlin yet let alone a sword.