Another Sounder Question

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HuntGatherRepeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another Sounder Question
    Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 4:18pm
HuntGatherRepeat View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Have just upgraded craft and looking for some new sounder/gps tech to allow me to take advantage of the new toy.

Primarily fish out of Whakatane and was previously limited to inshore only by my boat and comfort level. That's sorted and now would like to get in to some deeper water fishing targeting puka/bluenose and getting out for some game fishing. 

While I want that ability to see things deep, the bulk of my fishing will be inshore so don't feel the need for radar and $10K+ in electronics.

Can anyone recommend a package or components that will get me seeing structure at 500-ish metres without going overboard on costs? I'm eyeing a Garmin 952 with 1kw transducer at the moment but have no experience with them. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HuntGatherRepeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 4:48pm
Silver
Silver

Also eyeing a Furuno DB9, looks like there is a 260 and 258 'ducer option.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pompey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 4:50pm
pompey View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I  have had Garmin 7410 with a 265 high low 1kw chirp transducer and it was fine for those depths. I purchased from Bay Marine Electronics for about $5300 on special. Talk to them, they are very helpful.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Level Neville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 8:02pm
Level Neville View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Have been considering a Raymarine Axiom 9'' with 3D imaging included. Furuno DB9 & Garmin 7410 are also on the short list. With 1kw transducer as a later upgrade.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote White snake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 8:41pm
White snake View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi level.ive got twin 12ich axioms and that 3d is amazing.good for 60 meters.after that I switch it over to the lkw.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 9:25pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I am using a Lowrance HDS Gen 3 (18 mths old) with 600W transd (50/200). Can find fish at 600m. Frequently fishing at 350. Bottom fish quite clear. Total cost about $1500
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote White snake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 11:12pm
Gold
Gold

That's good bang 4 buck out of a 600w allan.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 3:31pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Swordfish steve just upgraded his kit.
Did his due diligence and chose a Garmin package.
He seems very pleased.
Give him a pm.

I'm running a furuno with a tm260 and getting ok results.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 5:34pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by White snake White snake wrote:

That's good bang 4 buck out of a 600w allan.
I posted the same query you did - about 18mths ago. Specifically to find something I could fish with at 600m that didn't break the bank.
I followed the advice posted, and am not disappointed.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HuntGatherRepeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 6:40pm
Silver
Silver

Cheers guys. Garmin is looking pretty tempting. Will catch up with Swordfish Steve, awaiting some other details from him once he's back to work.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Level Neville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 7:13pm
Level Neville View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Garmin 9 & 10 inch screens are much higher resolution than there competitors ! Another consideration
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 8:08pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by HuntGatherRepeat HuntGatherRepeat wrote:

Cheers guys. Garmin is looking pretty tempting. Will catch up with Swordfish Steve, awaiting some other details from him once he's back to work.

Sean the basics are; 200khz or the higher frequencies for high definition in shallow water up to 200m.

50Khz deeper water to around 500m but dependant on sea/swell. Meaning rolling boat with a fairly wide cone of the sonar transmission.

And then there is 33, 27, 19Khz and so on for even deeper waters.

Today we have the Chirp broadband that allows a transmission across multiple frequencies and the receiver can differentiate the best signal and in brief provide the best fish targets at great depths without massive power, instead using sensitive receivers and broadband technology across the transducer.
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote White snake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 10:15pm
Gold
Gold

Good info that catchalot.one common thing I hear is that alot of boat retailers dont give very good tutorials on sounder usage when a customer takes ownership of the boat.Things like easy as follow ya nose she be right mate piece of piss when you are on the water.far from it in alot of cases
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 7:06am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

"Sean the basics are; 200khz or the higher frequencies for high definition in shallow water up to 200m.
50Khz deeper water to around 500m but dependant on sea/swell. Meaning rolling boat with a fairly wide cone of the sonar transmission."

The most common combo is 83/200. But my 83 could not find the bottom at 350m. Which is why I changed units. You could just change transducer, but my unit would not accept the 50/200 I needed.  So I upgraded the unit, but did not fit the factory transducer.
Alan 
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gmacx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 1:45pm
gmacx View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

"Sean the basics are; 200khz or the higher frequencies for high definition in shallow water up to 200m.
50Khz deeper water to around 500m but dependant on sea/swell. Meaning rolling boat with a fairly wide cone of the sonar transmission."

The most common combo is 83/200. But my 83 could not find the bottom at 350m. Which is why I changed units. You could just change transducer, but my unit would not accept the 50/200 I needed.  So I upgraded the unit, but did not fit the factory transducer.
Alan 

This is old technology. If your spending the $$ buy CHIRP, it provides significantly better target separation and depth penetration than similar wattage 50/200 transducers like TM260 for a reasonable price. 

Alan, would be interested to see an image of yours at 600m with sign. Most people with a 600w non chirp would be lucky to get a bottom reading at 600m, particularly while moving.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 1:55pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Can take a pic next time I am out there - if we get some sign.
But only get there a few times/yr. 40k out - in a 5.3 tinnie.
need the right day. Last time, saw sign, dropped a line (had a broadbill rig drifting - but dropped another rod). Hooked up almost straight away.
Regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 1:57pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

When I queried 18mths or so ago, some guys did post pics of similar 600W set up  - pretty sure with clear bottom at 600m.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DeKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 1:45pm
DeKay View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sounder/chartplotter thoughts required

I'm upgrading my sounder/chartplotter. I've been using a Furuno FCV620 600w sounder and Garmin GPSMAP 556 for plotting. The plotter is not working properly now hence the upgrade. Both units have been great over the last 8 years.

For fishing wellington, west coast and the trench. Mostly keen on deepwater sounder capabilities including 1kW CHIRP. Need decent charts as well. Combo unit is fine up to 9 inch.

Currently looking at:
GPSMAP 952xs + TM185M $3600
Furuno DB9 +TM260. $4650

My thoughts:
Garmin great charts, better user interface, better resolution

Furuno, great sounder, worse user interface, lower resolution.

Is the Garmin sounder performance similar to the Furuno?

Will be mounted on 5m Fibreglass reflex chianti
Thoughts?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pompey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 2:25pm
pompey View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I just bought a 7412 garmin and a 265lh transducer from Bay Electronics. I was told by them that the Garmin were soon to introduce a new model, new increased price naturally but essentially the same unit. They had limited head units left and were happy to do a good package deal. I would think that with an aerial, card, 7410 and the 265lh transducer you would be looking around $5500. That is a very good set up for the fishing you do.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HuntGatherRepeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 3:08pm
Silver
Silver

So far I've ended up with a 265lh 'ducer that I picked up from a mate. Now on the hunt for a sounder to run it that won't break the bank. They don't make it easy. Seems most of the manufacturers put out their specs differently or require a "black box" to make things actually work. Looking at Garmin and the NSS Simrad.
Page  12>