New to lures.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ebra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to lures.
    Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 9:02pm
Ebra View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Picked up some lures, ticers and small silver pilchard style, from over in Sydney and wanting to use them over here.

My local spot doesnt hold big fish butI love pulling anything out.

Yet to chance my arm with these lures but does anyone know what species will take them? Kahawai I know are greedy but will anything else be tempted by a flash of silver?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 10:16pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Everything worth catching, but make sure they get to the bottom.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ebra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 8:49am
Ebra View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks Boosh. A weight running directly above the lure or above the leader and swivel?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 11:53am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi Ebra, without knowing the weight of the lures or depth of water you're fishing in, it's hard to say, but ideally we're talking about light tackle when it comes to small jigs, so no extra weight required. By light tackle, I mean small spinning reel, 10 to 20lb braid mainline, and a similar strength leader, usually fluorocarbon, but could be mono. No swivels - worth a Google on braid to leader knots. Also worth Googling assist hooks, you'll snag up a lot less, and land more fish than using the trebles that probably come with those jigs.

If you don't have a light setup with braid on it, you can still use heavier more traditional rods/reels, but your casting distance will be limited and it will be harder to work out when the lure touches the sea bed.   

If you have any more questions, ask away. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ebra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 12:01pm
Ebra View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I would assume a few meters of water, its off the ledge at Pt Chev in Auckland. Not the best spot for fish but I have always caught something. 

The lure is 10g and i'm using exactly what you suggested, 10lb mainline and about the same for the leader. I am wondering if it will even sink to the depth that I need it to.

Thanks for answering all my questions too. Have been fishing for a few years but mainly just for sport, always want to try new ways to catch fish and test myself.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 4:06pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

10g is very light, but if the water is only a few metres deep and there isn't much current, it might be OK provided you can cast far enough.