Cheap Fly Line?

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cheap Fly Line?
    Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 12:52pm
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I'm looking to find an appropriate line for my 8wt, as the 6wt fly line and trout reel isn't quite cutting it. Targeting snapper and kahawai

I'm finding gear pretty expensive though. 
What do you guys do for fly line? $100+ seems a bit over the top for something I'll be ripping up on oysters and getting some rough treatment. 
There's some cheap floating line on trademe/aliexpress but some of it seems.. a bit toooo cheap. 

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 2:24pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

This may well be a 5hit Embarrassed line (and I rarely use floaters for snaps) but... https://www.flyshop.co.nz/product/bargain_line.html

You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 2:40pm
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Snuffit. Snuffit. wrote:

This may well be a 5hit Embarrassed line (and I rarely use floaters for snaps) but... https://www.flyshop.co.nz/product/bargain_line.html

20 bucks seems too good to be true! Yeah I'll need to look at getting another spool and some sinking line too eventually
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 5:12pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Kingaling Kingaling wrote:

[QUOTE=Snuffit.]This may well be a 5hit Embarrassed line (and I rarely use floaters for snaps) but... https://www.flyshop.co.nz/product/bargain_line.html

I got a stone creek line from http://www.flyfishinginxs.kiwi which was actually not a bad floater, and 
 https://www.marine-deals.co.nz/fishing-methods/trout-fishing-salmon-fishing 
 has some good brand discounted fly lines.
The Auckland Swoffer
www.AucklandSwoffer.wordpress.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 9:25pm
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Some reasonably expensive kit needed to make a fly line. There are some cheap fly lines available.

Guess it's similar to buying a $1000 car. I wouldn't be expecting much hey?

Don't get me wrong, i'v bought some cheapie lines in the past. They have all been either given away, or thrown out. And this is coming from a Yorkshireman.

Your best option in my opinion is to look for a good quality fly line on sale.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 2:46pm
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thank you for the advice everyone. Apologies for all the questions. It sounds like I'm better off in the long run to invest in something a bit better quality. 

I just remembered I get a $500 well being allowance through work, which I'm able to spend on sports gear/wholesome lifestyle related equipment or experiences... 

Maybe a new reel, extra spool and a couple of fly lines would be a good purchase! 
If anyone has any specific 8wt fly lines to recommend for sinking/floating I'd really appreciate it. 

Seeing I'll be fishing flats, me ol' reef, and off rocks/ledges. 

For the sinking line I'm really not too familiar, there are a lot of options out there. Sink Tip, Full Sink, different sink rates etc..

Having a bit of a read and thinking perhaps a 8 weight- Sinking Tip- 20-30 ft tip with Type 6" sink rate with Intermediate running line? 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 5:27pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The Rio Mainstream Line is a **** hot floater, and I got 2 11 weight lines from amazon forless than $50.00 each the other day.[freeshipping][arrived in my box before a local order I made!}

for sinkers the most popular is the RIO outbound with the 300gn sinking tip of 30 ft with an intermediate running line.[great for depths to 4metres],
ive been using that for years and usually get 2 years out of a line,

In spring I changed to a tungsten shooting head[there quite cheap] connected to RIO Gripshooter. there bloody good system, gives ya the ability to really probe around deeper water when the shallows aren't working.and ya can change ya weights of shooting heads while out with a loop/loop connection.
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 5:33pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Another system ya might be into that others have been using is a sink tip[about 30ft I think] that ya loop/loop to the end of ya Floater.
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 8:18pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah there is that option - get floating running line and use t-8/t-10/t-14 heads. Used that system a lot around structure
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 10:44am
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice, those are really helpfull suggestions cheers fellas. 

Just found this on Trademe, hadn't heard of this brand before but looks alright? 

Reckons he'll throw in an Airflo floating line too
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 1:00pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Never seen one, but that seller (Garlech) seems to have a never ending stream of top branded kit for sale so I don't think he messes around with crap stuff. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hengemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 1:03pm
Hengemaster View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Only 280 usd new
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hengemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 1:07pm
Hengemaster View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

And the Behemoth is 250 nzd here
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishinmad1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 3:36pm
Fishinmad1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Check out RA Conaghans in Normanby Rd Mt Eden
They have some Cartland fly lines for $20
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 7:04am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

I just picked up two SA 11wt F/I Titan lines from marine deals for $50 each. Thanks to Wolfie for the heads up on that    . But sorry to say- I got the last two

It's good to see that there are some great deals to be found in NZ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 7:39am
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Kingaling Kingaling wrote:

Nice, those are really helpfull suggestions cheers fellas. 

Just found this on Trademe, hadn't heard of this brand before but looks alright? 

Reckons he'll throw in an Airflo floating line too

I have the Allen Trout 2. Every bit as good as reels I have that are 4x the price.
Sea Strike 18' Centre Console - Under Construction....Build Thread here
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 9:10pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

I received my two SA 11wt Sonar Titan intermediate tip lines in the mail. I haven't had much to do with Scientific Anglers lines for a long time so I was very pleased with what I found in the box. The lines look of top quality with strong cores and quite a hard finish on the lines. The fifteen foot intermediate tip is very clear and will be good for line shy fish. There appears to be a minimal amount of stretch in the line and the line came with a climate rating of 'temperate'... perfect! (In my haste to purchase a bargain I completely failed to check the climate rating on the line )

The fifteen foot inter tip should be perfect for my return to boat based fly fishing.

How the line will cast is anyone's guess at this stage. The storm up here was so bad today I barely managed any time out of the house. Judging by its taper profile however I'm sure it will cast fine.

Looking forward to using it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 9:01am
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice one Craig.  On that note, I noticed that Marine Deals also have the Redington predator on sale for $350.  I couldn't help myself and snapped up an 8# version.Tongue  Should arrive today by my estimates. 

Bugger, id have ordered an 8# Sonar Titan as well if Id have seen them.  Looks like they are back to their regular price of $135 now.   

Id love to know peoples preference these days.  10 years ago when I was doing a lot of SWF, intermediate lines were the go.  Now it seems that floating lines with inter tips are more common and more people using them? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 2:00pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yep, I'm addicted to F/I lines. They cover most of my fishing situations and will even get down quite deep if you get your drift right. Even possible to fish a popper off them. That's quite a range.

And well done on getting the Redington Predator #8. Great price! I'm sure you needed another rod
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crochet Cast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 6:40pm
Crochet Cast View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Some really good deals on SA fly lines on marine deals at the moment
Page  12>