Uniden handheld VHF in Auckland

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mysto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Uniden handheld VHF in Auckland
    Posted: 06 Jan 2019 at 10:27am
Mysto View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I got a Uniden handheld Marine VHF for Christmas.
I tried it at mother in law's house in New Plymouth with their weather channel 20 and it seemed to work fine.
Now I'm trying it out at my backyard in Te Atatu Peninsula in Auckland but even with sql at 0, I'm not getting a clear reception of ch19 and just a little better reception of ch64.
Anyone using these in Auckland and happy with it? 
Do I really get on the water to try it properly? 
Thanks!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2019 at 10:54am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mysto, marine vhf is line of sight comms, maybe drive somewhere up higher than where you live and see if the reception improves, I am sure it will.

Meaning you live too far below the line of sight or are shielded by objects, even hills. You may even need a long external aerial mounted on your house/garage but even then not guaranteed.
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2019 at 1:24pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Uniden are a great little set,when they say water proof,B/S shower proof only,and yes as Catchelot said,line of sight,if I stand on the garage roof works fine but on the ground no,Papakura.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mysto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 11:01am
Mysto View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks guys. So it should work on the water then?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 7:55pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My uniden works fine on water not so good on land not made for city use - usually Rx ok but Tx not so!  don't forget to get a call sign see coastguard website for details. 
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mysto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 1:57pm
Mysto View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

My one actually doesn't work that well on water either.
Weather channel is a mess with a lot of interference.
Local channel is OK, but man Coastguard radio is impossible to understand with all the distortion.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 2:00pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Take it in and get it checked whilst it is under warranty.You do have the squelch set just above the background noise level?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 4:09pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Radios work far better over land than water..
Asmentioned above need line of sight
Te atatu is rather bump landscape
An example from home on the sthern edges of greater Auckland I can do a radio check to coast gurd in Auckland.. To which even they where surprised.
But in the mouth of the Waikato River nothing to anywhere including coast gaurd Manukau.. So require cell phone and even that depends somewhat on position and who you are signed up with.
Move just outside the bar. Few 100 Ms and everything good

Do the Vhf coarse, get a call sign and you will be a legit user and learn all about this... Correct format calling up.. Order of call sign etcAnd calling for a radio check.. Send and recieve
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SaltyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 4:32pm
SaltyC View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Both 64 and 19 repeaters are on Sky Tower so I would be very surprised if you had trouble with either on Te Atatu Peninsular anywhere above ground!

With the two radio masts at Lincoln Rd and Waiatarua transmitter so close you will however have a lot of noise if you don't get the squelch set correctly to just remove the background noise and no more. Also make sure you have the radio set to I (international).

If you are still having trouble after that then definitely get the radio serviced as Tagit says.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mysto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 11:32am
Mysto View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yeah, the squelch is one step above the noise. Even at Kauri point reception is not ideal. 
I'm definitely not relying on this radio for emergency comms.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dagwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 12:43pm
Dagwood View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Seems odd. My Uniden works fine in Howick.

Hasn't been changed from International channel setting to USA by chance?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mysto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 1:15pm
Mysto View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I'll have a look and see where that setting is.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 1:53pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

you have tightened the arial??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mysto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 11:33pm
Mysto View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

It's molded in. Not detachable.