Shore jigging anyone tried it?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SHIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shore jigging anyone tried it?
    Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 6:10am
SHIN View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi all 

Just started casting Lure of the rock.

Fished surf casting most of my fishing life.

wanted to do something bit different and decided to have a go at  

shore jigging. Got my self 11 foot lure rod max lure rate 40g with 

6000 daiwa freems LT. 

I was wondering if any of you tried shore jigging and had success.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 6:38am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Yes, have tried it and it works well, just need to use the right sort of micro jigs and watch where you fish. Foul bottoms are not good for snags
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Polar_Kiwis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 8:48pm
Polar_Kiwis View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by SHIN SHIN wrote:

Hi all 

Send me a PM when you are going. I'll come try too...
Here fishy, fishy fishy.... Nom, nom, nom
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 11:26pm
Pico View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by SHIN SHIN wrote:

Hi all 

Just started casting Lure of the rock.

Fished surf casting most of my fishing life.

wanted to do something bit different and decided to have a go at  

shore jigging. Got my self 11 foot lure rod max lure rate 40g with 

6000 daiwa freems LT. 

I've just bought a very similar set up for shore jigging and light land based stickbaiting (11foot rod and a 5000lt reel). Will have to wait until I'm back to NZ at the end of the month to have a play with it. 

I've mucked around a little bit with some microjigs from the rocks before . Mainly just catching livies, but have caught the odd trev and snapper. 

A mate of mine has had a bit of success catching snapper and trevs on jigs on west coast surf beaches.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wheremy20lbsnaps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 1:44am
Wheremy20lbsnaps View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I haven't had any success with it, caught a kahawai that's pretty much it.  kahawai takes on anything anyways.  

But from what I know you will need to find somewhere that is deep, theres a video from Digital fishing NZ.  He fish off an Island and also I have mates went up to BOI fish off an island too.  keep us posted how you went, I would like to give it another go.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SHIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 5:08pm
SHIN View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Anyone kin to go out try jigging please pm me let's organize time.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 0nlanders_Nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 6:03pm
0nlanders_Nz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Kabura slider jigs are mean for john dory, we do alot of land based fishing , and we do bait and jigging just gota mix it up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rockyshore Korea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 10:09am
Rockyshore Korea View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi,
Even if I am from far away country in South Korea, but I am definitely enjoying shore jigging.

In my opinion, the key for shore jigging is casting distance and timing.

Around sun rise and sunset, this is high fish activity time which predator fish feeding themselves.
You need to observe intently the surface of water.
If there is boiling phenomenon which small fish jump out of water in the course of being chased, that is good sign.
(There maybe King fish or Yellow tail or Bonito or Spanish Mackerel)
Cast your metal jig 30~60g to the spot (over the spot is better).

Usually, big fish hunt bait fish far from the shore (usually more than 50m upward), so long casting is really important.
I suggest to use good PE line maybe 9 braided (less friction) and thinner line works better for long casting.

Besides having proper gears and tackles, there are a few things really important to know to catch fish through shore jigging.

1. Target water level
If there is boiling, this is obvious sign that fish are near the surface.
Then you can just target top water.
But in case you don't see any sign, you need to let your metal jig hit the bottom and check basically all levels of water to find out on which water level fish are.

2. Action
Super fast reeling, Jerking and Stay(falling) make sure you mix all those method.
Usually, predator fish are really fast.
Some of them swim at 80km/h speed.
They feel interested only fast swimming thing.
So, you will have to reel in really fast sometimes and give various action to your metal jig to attract them.

You may already have studied and known this though I summarized them just in case.

Let me share one of my videos I posted on my youtube channel.

If you need English translation, I can make it.
(Most of my viewers have been Koreans)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Polar_Kiwis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 11:44am
Polar_Kiwis View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cool. What is that small live bait tank you are using?
Here fishy, fishy fishy.... Nom, nom, nom
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 12:40pm
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This one?

A king on the bricks is worth 5 in a boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rockyshore Korea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 5:50pm
Rockyshore Korea View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Polar_Kiwis Polar_Kiwis wrote:

Cool. What is that small live bait tank you are using?

Do you mean the big rubber container where I kept my fish?
That is actually Fish dust container that I use for what we call here ISO float fishing.

You can see me how I use in my other video.
(This one has English subscript)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SHIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 6:02pm
SHIN View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi there looking back on post just want to ask how your shore jigging been?

Did you have some success and did you find some deep ledge to fish off?

Kind regard