So you want to be a fisherman?

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So you want to be a fisherman?
    Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 6:49pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

OK, let's say you've decided that fishing is your thing. Assuming you have the basics, what are your 10 top picks for what will help you get the best out of your 'chosen thing'?

Here are mine:

1. You must have a bait freezer, if you don't fish baits you need somewhere to store your ice. An Ice maker is just OTT. I have one
2. Take lots of ice. 
3. Get yourself a couple of 90 litre chilly bins if you're a meat hunter like myself. We take one full of ice and another just for fish
4. Build yourself a decent filleting bench
5. Get 3 or 4 or more filleting knives. for years I used a 5" boning knife but a 23cm jobbie saves you lots of spine spikes. I have heaps of knives now
6. Learn to sharpen your knives, they are never too sharp
7. Go to Mitre 10 and get a pair of Fuller pro long nose pliers with the red handles. They will go rusty but won't seize up if you give them a little CRC once in a while. They are great for unhooking fish
8. Buy circle hooks and learn how to use them
9. Get a beer fridge, the biggest you can get. Great for storing your catch and most wives are likely to be happier if you buy a 'beer fridge' than somewhere to keep your dead creatures

!0. Get an iki stick and learn how to use it
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 7:09pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Your wisdom astonishes me at times Obi1. Good advice.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 8:39pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You know I don't buy the whole need for fish filleting station, especially outside or in some garage or shed. For a couple of reasons. One being you spend all that time and money on icing down a fresh fish in perfect nick that really is now going to be filleted on some dirty bench. It should be done in a nice clean kitchen as a chef would do as you are dealing with high value produce. Seen some shocking filleting "benches" in my time I wouldn't put my dog meat on. 

Do us a photo Smudge lets see how bad ass your one is. No cleaning it down before hand just go do it!  LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 8:54pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

For filleting, I have a timber bench and sink outside. I don't fillet directly on the bench. I keep offcuts of ply and seratone sheets, about 600 x 600 that go under the fish. Once they've got a few cuts n scrape's on them, on the burn pile they go.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spudnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 9:08pm
Spudnik View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Do plenty of recon at your chosen fishing grounds. If you didn't catch anything the first time, doesn't mean you won't catch fish on a different tide/conditions/lure/bait/time of day etc.
Buckler of Swashes
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 9:17pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by kitno kitno wrote:

Your wisdom astonishes me at times Obi1. Good advice.

Likewise Kitno. You are a true fisherman indeed.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 9:19pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

You know I don't buy the whole need for fish filleting station, especially outside or in some garage or shed. For a couple of reasons. One being you spend all that time and money on icing down a fresh fish in perfect nick that really is now going to be filleted on some dirty bench. It should be done in a nice clean kitchen as a chef would do as you are dealing with high value produce. Seen some shocking filleting "benches" in my time I wouldn't put my dog meat on. 

Do us a photo Smudge lets see how bad ass your one is. No cleaning it down before hand just go do it!  LOL

Great call Muppet. I will go take a pic now
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 9:24pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Here we go Muppet
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 9:29pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Spudnik Spudnik wrote:

Do plenty of recon at your chosen fishing grounds. If you didn't catch anything the first time, doesn't mean you won't catch fish on a different tide/conditions/lure/bait/time of day etc.

Spudnik, I agree! If you have faith in a spot for whatever reason don't give up on it. I like to give out advice to true your tried and true then try somewhere totally random so you build a picture over years
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 9:32pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Here we go Muppet

I also do some home kill and deer shooting. The ss top lifts off and there is a heavy duty board spanning the whole top for processing those animals. An addition I'm planning is a side tray for the fillets and wheels so it's easier to move top the chiller
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 9:40pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I better add that bench was inspired by Tzer, one of the fussier (in a very good way)guys I've had the pleasure to fillet with. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 10:02pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You say buy circle hooks and learn how to use them.
This has got me going round in circles.

Would you use them on live baits.?

I used Mustard Demon circles on live baits last week as that was all i had.

Managed a 4lb J.D.
But second fish ,much larger, the hook pulled after 40 minutes. This thing kept circling the boat ,but when the line angle changed and was pretty well straight down and trying to get to the bottom toward the end of the battle as it tired ,the hook pulled out. Wrong hook or just the way it happens sometimes.?
Assumed it was a kingi,but not sighted.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 10:09pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by cirrus cirrus wrote:

You say buy circle hooks and learn how to use them.
This has got me going round in circles.

Would you use them on live baits.?

I used Mustard Demon circles on live baits last week as that was all i had.

Managed a 4lb J.D.
But second fish ,much larger, the hook pulled after 40 minutes. This thing kept circling the boat ,but when the line angle changed and was pretty well straight down and trying to get to the bottom toward the end of the battle as it tired ,the hook pulled out. Wrong hook or just the way it happens sometimes.?
Assumed it was a kingi,but not sighted.

There's no magic answer Cirrus it just happens sometimes. you can't predict exactly where or how a fish is hooked. Arron has had a bad run on kings at the moment. A return to circle hooks will see him right. Nothing wrong with the hooks he's using it is just not working for him.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 10:23pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Smudge. So circles should be as good as any hook for livies.
Cant see why not. Pretty sure it was a good kingi. Could feel the tail thrusts,a bit of head shaking,circling the boat , stayed at constant depth and some fast blinding runs at first.
Nothing worse than having a good fish and losing it just before it comes into sight,and therefore not really knowing what it was.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 10:32pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

?////try bridle rigging the livie cirrus. Having a big bait close to the gape of a circle hook doesn't usually end well
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 7:13am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I could add another ten but that would be giving away all my secrets! Spend less on bait and learn how to catch it fresh when your out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spudnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 7:44am
Spudnik View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Originally posted by Spudnik Spudnik wrote:

Spudnik, I agree! If you have faith in a spot for whatever reason don't give up on it. I like to give out advice to true your tried and true then try somewhere totally random so you build a picture over years

Or even a fishing method. I bought some softbait gear a couple of years ago to have a go with, and it took me 6 - 9 months (of sporadic fishing admittedly) to work out how to use it properly and start regularly catching fish with it.

It paid off too because 90% of the time I catch more fish than the bait fishos on the boat LOL
Buckler of Swashes
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 7:55am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A tick in every box, thu will have to upgrade my main fish bin...and have a separate little chilly bin for bait / burley.

Knives.. yep GOOD knives a MUST, espec when have a bin full. And sharpen.. to be able to do so  so that after a filleting 25/30 good fish, the full length of the blade still slices  and sharp enough that still digs in on the thumb nail like a good fish hook.
Convex edge is secret to that.

As to filleting bench.. cant go past  being inside on a cold winters evening....Stainless with good solid chopping boards.
 They are easy to keep clean and the fish up out of crap.. guts etc.. and the height makes side cuts easy.
A discarded neighbours kitchen carcass with bentch on top.
 Cupboards and draws store all your trace making, sinkers/ gear etc

No need to hook up the water taps, far better is a hose from a nearby tap.. as they doing commercial set ups

Also showing collected KY , trev, mullet frames partly thawing to put thru the burley maker (multcher)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 2:28pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I don't keep bait with my catch, I use a smaller bin for the bait
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 5:00pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep so do we.. except my small 25L chilly bin is on its last legs now.. and seems the red shed doesnt stock them any more.

Was ideal.. 3 or 4 burleys in the bottom and packs of bait in zip bags on top
Page  12>