Electric boat winch advis please.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electric boat winch advis please.
    Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 4:41pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Need a new winch.

I had a superwinch, no more, I killed it.

Anyway I'm pulling up 3.5 - 4.5 tons.

As much as I liked the superwinch the replacement 9000 model is a larger and twice as powerful as my last.

The RC30 Powerwinch maybe an option.

I like a remote, can't get by without solo.

I do prefer non wire.

12v.

Are there other brands that are tried and true.

I have no experience with the RC30.
Or any other brands.

Input welcome as I have done some research and have not yet come to any conclusions.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Apex Predator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 2:54pm
Apex Predator View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I had a super winch 9000 on my 9m. It is still going after 9 years.
I think they make a narrow spool version which would help the boat to pull up straight.
The contacts in the control box gave trouble once or twice but clean up and lanocote fixed it.
After 2 years I dismantled the unit and had the drum zinc sprayed and it is still in good nick now. I also replaced the wire rope with 10mm dyneema and that is still there also.
It had a wired plug in remote with 5m cable but can go wireless for a price. If u have a superwinch wireless kit already would it work on a new superwinch also.
True story- friend of mine had the cheap Chinese version on his Conrad 9m and I saw the winch literally explode on retrieval so would never go there myself.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 5:24pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Apex,
Appreciate your response.
I had good service out of mine also.
I killed mine, but the winch was fine.

When you mention Chinese brand was there a particular brand.

I'm currently looking at a Runva 11xs as a replacement.
It was mentioned to me today and I've had a look at one.
Has potential.

Remote was cheap and nasty though. Expect short lifespan on that.
However I kept the " come up " remote.
Better product by far.
I will probably wire it to replace.

I have learnt that current winches in the 10.000 lb plus category really require a higher cca rating then declared in spec sheets.

And as an upgrade for many of these winches I will have to increase the mounting footprint.

I have also found that although many are ip67 rated the truth is that you have to dissasemble and marinise all the components even when they say suitable or specially created for marine applications.
Generally hocum.
Zinc plated steel fittings, screws, bolts or brackets are not marine environment friendly in any universe.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Apex Predator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 1:28pm
Apex Predator View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Sorry I can’t recall the brand, just my mate smugly criticising me for spending over 2x the price on a superwinch and then the look of total disbelief when his exploded a year or so later.
I forgot about the wiring - that was expensive heavy cable from the front of the car to the back with big Anderson connectors and an isolator under the bonnet. The alternative was to fit another battery on the trailer and would have been cheaper. At full load the winch drew 180A or so.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2019 at 6:00pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I went for the runva.
Install underway.

I'll let you know what I think over time of its performance.

Does require a fair amount of marinisation.
Will upgrade the wireless remote.

Price was good.
And overall feedback has been mainly positive.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 3:33pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Used the runva for its first retrieval today.
The boat sheer shot up the trailer.
Twice the speed and seemingly no effort.

B.. dy good start.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Yacht Crazyhorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 5:26pm
Yacht Crazyhorse View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Are you serious!? 3.5 to 4 tonne? How big is your "ship"? Nothing short of direct driven ( as in geared to a 20hp engine) or hydrolic windlass is going to lift that weight in a direct lift. That's got to be 200m of 10mm chain anchored in 100m of water?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keithal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 7:50pm
Keithal View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Yacht Crazyhorse Yacht Crazyhorse wrote:

Are you serious!? 3.5 to 4 tonne? How big is your "ship"? Nothing short of direct driven ( as in geared to a 20hp engine) or hydrolic windlass is going to lift that weight in a direct lift. That's got to be 200m of 10mm chain anchored in 100m of water?

Your kidding right??
He's bought a new winch for his TRAILER
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Yacht Crazyhorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 8:39pm
Yacht Crazyhorse View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

riiiight had a bit confused there!