1st Tuna/Marlin trip for the season

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1st Tuna/Marlin trip for the season
    Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 12:57pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Had my first trip out wide last week looking for Tuna and Marlin, was just a recon mission to see what I could find, had a few exciting moments though the day!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 9:08pm
shad View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Great effort Coxie  , we landed our first albies for the season off port Taranaki on the Sat 29th. We paddled out and found blue water at 50m , no surface action , landed four tuna between three kayakers , between 70 and 80m Smile
LOVE THE FREEDOM

SHAD
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 9:44pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks Shad. You say you paddled out to 80m in a kayak?!? just how far are you talking distance wise? It's a fair hike to get that deep up these ways
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 11:21pm
shad View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

We did a 35km paddle that day , paddling between 4-5km/hr, 80m is about 12km offshore, most outings we are looking for surface action and birds working , sat was quiet , there was lots of bait sign showing on the sounder but nothing else .It was our first outing  so our bodies felt it the next day.Ouch
LOVE THE FREEDOM

SHAD
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 3:20pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Another great video..
9L at the pump?
 For a trip wide like that how much gas did you use?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 3:28pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice. I wondered if you were going to target game fish this season. I'll have a go just for fun, maybe one or two trips once the water really warms up. I have a plan! 

Where do you store your selfie stick when not in use?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 3:33pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Steps - that was just a small clip of the gas pump, I put more than 9L in. For that trip out to the hundred meter mark with a bit of trolling around I used about 47-48L from memory. 

Mightyboosh - my selfie stick thingy is telescopic so it is only about 300mm long when folded away, I either just leave it sitting in the foot well or put it in a rod holder
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 3:38pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BeastMode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2019 at 7:42pm
BeastMode View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Great video. Cheers 👍
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2019 at 10:18pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by shad shad wrote:

We did a 35km paddle that day , paddling between 4-5km/hr, 80m is about 12km offshore, most outings we are looking for surface action and birds working , sat was quiet , there was lots of bait sign showing on the sounder but nothing else .It was our first outing  so our bodies felt it the next day.Ouch

Crikey Shad! I bet your shirts need longer sleeves after that. Great vid there coxie, as always
Best gurnard fisherman in my street