How crucial are 'bite times'?

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How crucial are 'bite times'?
    Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 10:02pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

All you experts out there: do 'bite times' trump tide conditions, and are they what decides your fishing time? For example, the bite time for yesterday on this website was rated 'excellent' from 6-8am, but low tide was at 7am (Auckland). 

I have usually found fishing an hour either side of low (or high) to be fairly poor - as the current slows, so do bites. "No run, no fun" and all that. So I wouldn't normally have many expectations of decent fishing either side of the low.

Though first light and last light (the 'change of light') times are also traditionally favourite times. If the bite times say no good at dawn, is it a waste of time?

Your thoughts?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote strx7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 10:06pm
strx7 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

generally speaking for the east coast, 'bite time' and low tide always coincide.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dukeas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2018 at 11:30am
Dukeas View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I use a book printed annually in nz. Called "solar tables" it's bite times based on many things, sun, m I have a fishing diary since moving to Northland in 1990. At first I took note of best catches, and time of day. I find them probably 80% accurate myself, particularly for snapper catches, using bait and burley.
Others in my club scorn it, and I think soft bait fishing may be different.
In this book, it writes that all species of animals, birds have a time when they are more active.
I think a diary is very beneficial, many successful anglers keep one.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2018 at 11:47am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My anecdotal experience is to completely ignore "bite times". It may be related to the fact that I only use lures, so fish don't have to be feeding to get caught, they might snap at a lure out of annoyance, territoriality or just curiosity.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2018 at 1:50pm
Titanium
Titanium

Interesting stuff, guys. I guess for every 'bite time' devotee there's someone with another system they follow.

I've read so many reports, books and mag articles where the fisho has noted that fishing usually dies off leading up to, during and after slack tide that it's influenced the times I plan my trips around - if possible.

I've often read or heard that in winter there's usually a very short 'bite time' at dawn and dusk; or the likes of Paul Senior of Ocean Angler say in a video report that the "bite time's been in the afternoon lately" or similar. 

Strx, I see you're certainly correct. I'm quite surprised the 'major' bite time each day is across low slack water.

MightyBoosh, I get what you're saying. I find myself mostly fishing softbaits these days and I guess there's always a chance of a reaction bite. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2018 at 2:32pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Also, what decides fishing time? Work and weather, nothing else!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2018 at 2:56pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I agree with the MightyBoosh. You go when you can and make it happen!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ROCKSTARS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2018 at 7:16pm
ROCKSTARS View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Muppet has hit the nail on the head,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hogdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 8:54am
hogdog View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I find when soft baiting that 2hrs before low on change of light is best, this seems to be when snaps are actively feeding and are high in the water column, however you can still catch fish through the day just need to put more work into it and follow/find patches of fish
99% of my fishing is over sand
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shilo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 9:29am
Shilo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Not a believer myself.  Have found "bite time" is solely location dependant as some spots fish better at low, others at high, or on a full moon, time of year, etc.  Different spots have different "bite times" and it is a matter of hitting those spots as many different times as possible (even keeping records) to learn what location fishes best at what tide or moon phase etc.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 9:54am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Was out on a day charter trip out of Mt Maunganui for terakihi and a full moon that night. Maori calendar said 11-12.30 bite time.
Started fishing about 09.00 and no one had even a nibble.
Skipper said they are there on his sounder.
As 11.00 approached a few fish then all on for 90 minutes and nearly everyone got  limit bags.
Then the switch was turned off.
Has to more than coincidence!
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 10:15am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Bite times don't do it for me. I have a lot of different places where spots fish differently for different stages of the tide. I have to admit though there are times when the bite times have coincided with a hot bite.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 10:18am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

like MB and muppet above
 If you fish by bite time you will rarely get out.. and that if you are in a position to go out on any weather window  day of the week..
 In saying that I have always checked a bite time app.. which incidentally is near to the same as that on this web site...

The only consistent factor.. more often than not is when the bite time finishes so do the fish...
 As to the bite time period being time correct, excellent, good bad....have not seen any consistency....

Knowing your area, the tide, the currents.. or lack of... the worm shellfish beds, the reefs and gutters in them, water temps, one can go out any time of the year and be assured to bring home a feed for all crew families.
And If one knows how to fish basics.. watch the rod curve , not the water where nothing to see..good technique to baiting the hook, right sinker weight, good knots.

If you are not catching/ binning, dont bother to look to bite times to sort your issues.. it will not patch or fix the basic issues.

Mark Twain said " Luck is directly proportional to the effort put in"

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 10:22am
feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yea Fishb8, right place, right time, having said that I never look at bite times, if the bar is workable then I go fishing.

Cheers
The only bar to frequent is the Kawhia Bar
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 12:43pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

For those that believe this stuff, when you're off work and the sea is flat, do you check the fishing calendar, and say, nah, fishing is bad today, think I'll stay home and mow the lawn LOL  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 1:40pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

True but I do look at tides when planning game fishing trips ahead of time.
Same as snapper trips planned months ahead.
When marlin fishing, best bite 'seem' to be just prior to the low tide.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 5:56pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MightyBoosh MightyBoosh wrote:

For those that believe this stuff, when you're off work and the sea is flat, do you check the fishing calendar, and say, nah, fishing is bad today, think I'll stay home and mow the lawn LOL  

I totally agree, if the circumstances align in terms of family commitments, weather etc I never consult one of the Maori or other 'good'/'bad' calendars to see if it's worth the effort. Any day out fishing is a good one as far as I'm concerned and I trust my ability to get a few fish.

But it's interesting to hear what emphasis people place on the bite time calculator (I think developed by the late, great Lethal?) in terms of the best time to focus their fishing effort within a certain day.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 5:59pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by hogdog hogdog wrote:

I find when soft baiting that 2hrs before low on change of light is best, this seems to be when snaps are actively feeding and are high in the water column, however you can still catch fish through the day just need to put more work into it and follow/find patches of fish
99% of my fishing is over sand

Paul Senior has often said/written that's the time he finds lure fishing in the Auckland area the best. Not that what he says is the be all and end all, but interesting.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 6:19pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We fished two hours before low this morning in the harbor - got a feed but nothing to write home about. Probably says more about me than any pattern as such. Plenty of people I know and respect put a lot of faith in to bite times etc so I believe there probably is something in it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 8:52pm
Titanium
Titanium

Nice one, mate. I was at Narrowneck with the family and some friends today. Some Pasifika boys came in from the Rangi Channel to drop off a bin of fish for a big family gathering on the beach - mostly in the 30s, but one nice fish of about 45, and a monster kahawai - must have been close to 60cm.
Their gear was agricultural to say the least, and the Johnson on the back of their old Sea Nymph looked as trustworthy as a Donald Trump speech, but their family would have been happy.
Page  12>