Navionics App update Huge

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Navionics App update Huge
    Posted: 15 Dec 2018 at 9:30am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Navonics are obsoleting Navionics boating app ..
 And upgrading it to Boating HD Marine and Lakes version.

I have upgraded on android 4.2  android 5 and android 8

Seem a little confusion by some to be able to follow instruction on google apps.

1/ update.
leave the google apps window there
2/ once updated , hit open
3/ it will open, maybe a little slow, "loading" also maybe little slow on older android versions, then will "unpack items"  little slow then ask you to "lets go"
 4/ Hit ok
 5/ will once again ask you to download off line maps.. select area and download. I select the whole of the Nth Island.

You will notice that you now have 2 installs of navionics.. the old version and the new HD version.
You can now safely uninstall the old version.

Routes, tracks, note,  settings, are all there.
 Even the "you have 12 days to renew subscription "
 I have not checked that the lowrance is still "connected"

Just in case .. I had backed up all the navionics device,  files on each of the androids.. have not needed them.

A very well coded for a complex update 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2018 at 10:04am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

PS 
 I just tryed to update another old phone in the draw... Google apps did not show navionics in the updates.
 So
 I went to the new HD app, loaded it.
 It asked me to log in.. did.. all my routes, notes, tracks , settings uploaded.
 It then told me it noticed another older version on the phone.
 So while still downloading off line maps on the new version.. I followed instruction s and opened the old version, which then asked if I would like to trannsfer all my stuff to the new version..
 Did so till asked "open app" did so to see the off line maps still downloading and finish.
 Everything there
So uninstalled the old version 

All good.
 Old phone can go back in the draw for now.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2018 at 11:06am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great app have kept as a backup to chart plotter for years.  Thanks for the update.
Cheers john
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 7:47am
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'll have to check mine.

They had to change because of a virus that they could not remove.

Big cost to them for sure to make such a huge change.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 7:59am
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just changed mine .
I'm using Apple.
All went smoothly.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 8:18am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not knowing much about their product. Does make me wonder about the navigation devices available today.

Once maps etc are downloaded,do you need continuous wifi to navigate or just to update??

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 8:32am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

They had to change because of a virus that they could not remove.

My understanding is, it is a part of the consolidation of different apps for smart phones and tabs  by Garmin (who acquired navionics a little while back) And also consolidating the separate apps for the different map sets of different parts of the world.
And also upgrading the code more in line with todays computing and display power of smart phones....which can be noticed rather significantly on older android 4 and 5 units.

Plus throw in the the added communication between a now lot of brands and near all models of sounders/gps of both blue tooth and wireless, with the added ability to multi communicate between several at the same time..

If one has stayed up with the last 3 or so upgrades since garmin acquired navionics, it is noticeable that the boating has been moving to include a lot of the HD versions, which then places it well for the transfer of user data, be it synced between units or navionics servers/stored log in data.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 8:39am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Once maps etc are downloaded,do you need continuous wifi to navigate or just to update??

Nope  just a unit that has gps sensors...
ie some of the older tab 'readers' never had a gps sensor...
 If you go into .. Android.. settings / location and see the GPS greyed out and cant turn it on then ther is no gps sensor.
 Navionic would check your unit on install and if the gps could not be turned on would tell you and not load on the unit.. "incompatible.."

Wireless .. thats when you are connected to the internet you can update the downloaded maps for off line use  every few days.
 And on older versions (maybe the newer version) could transfer the appropriate files from the device to another, to transfer maps, tracks , routes , settings data etc....Wink if the internet log in sync was not working.
 Which it has been rather intermittent in the last few weeks leading up to this huge update.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 5:07pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

pjc,

I have been using navionics for I think 6-7 years now.
I have it on my iphone and iPad.
I just use location services within Apple that works until I get out of an area with no reception otherwise I can track myself.
I'm also able to use the charts wether I'm using location services to have as an investigation tool for a trip or a second to my furuno.
I think its an excellent tool that I have used here and widely overseas. I just buy charts for that location.
I have only had two problems. The first was I quickly used up all the available space for my marks.
And the virus that has been plaguing my navionics for a year or so now.
I'm hoping the new one has no viruses.
All my marks and tracks are there so, so far so good.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 5:48pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks,the only electronic device I have much experience was a chart plotter using c map,found I had to shut it down and restart on occasions as it show us on top of the nearest land at times. Still like using hand held gps with paper chart and sounder.

Will look at navionics,better still get the young fella to do it,hes very tech savvy.

Just not sure on downloading things as sometimes unknowingly get redirected to foreign muck
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 7:49pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

pjc.
if I can use it, you will piss in.
You use the forum and that's way more complicated.

Expand your skills, it's quite rewarding.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spin king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 7:56pm
spin king View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just updated it, seems a lot smoother. Turns out we will be paying 3x the price for renewal though
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 8:26pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have just also updated, without knowing really what I am letting myself in for.  Lets see

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 8:40pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Where did you see 3x the price, spin king.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 8:44pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MATTOO MATTOO wrote:

Where did you see 3x the price, spin king.

After updating a banner appeared at the top tell me my subscription was about to expire and to renew would cost approx. 3 x the price I renewed at last time.
$36.99
So yeah, it is a lot more expensive.
However, always thought the cost was a bit light for what we were getting.
Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 5:28am
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks V8,

Missed that, my subscription was updated prior.

Though your right, $ 36 is still bang for buck for me.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 8:50am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Damn should have updated subscription befor hand...

On the "virus" issue
 No it is not a virus but rather some virus detectors identifying some programs after going thru code as have a low rating.. 
This is not uncommon on installer/ update programs

Or in other words the parameters of the virus detection is rather over agressive.
 This can be sorted by
1/ configure the virus detection program to be less aggressive.. usually can if have the full paid versions.
2/ Turn off the detection part while upgrading/ installing.
3/ add the program to a white list.. which is why they have a 'white' or exception function.

Both mcafee and nortons have been like this for a good 20 yrs... basically over kill default settings or incorrect configuration.

It is NOT a virus.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 11:49am
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

" Not a virus"
And yet, my email discussions for the last 6 months with navionics would suggest otherwise.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 4:06pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Called "reputation" or similar name depending on what scanner you use...?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 4:23pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sounds like a compromised device or wonky AV to me :/
Page  12>