2 vhf aerials one vhf

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote otdrmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2 vhf aerials one vhf
    Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 10:54am
otdrmn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have mounted a vhf aerial on the T top of my centre console to give better range when out wide. There will be times that I want to remove this top and run naked and use the old aerial position on the centre console itself.
Without having to change plugs at the back of the vhf each time can I wire these in series and use a disconnecter on the T top aerial ?
What if any are the potential pit falls of doing this?

Thanks in advance

G
The 4 R's ~ Rods, Reels, Rifles, Rooting
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 12:42pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not really. You get all sorts of potential losses that will mess with radio performance. What you could look at is a coaxial switch that will let you switch between antennas. Mount the switch in a convenient location so you can unplug the top coax when needed. You could also just use a coax joiner mounted in an easy place and swap the cables over like that without the switch. You will get some signal losses but only small ones if done right.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2018 at 9:30am
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

At Burnsco last week I spotted back up VHF antenna packs.  Basically a little pouch containing a telescopic antenna (like a car aerial) with a cable and plug. 

I bought one as spare.  Might be suitable for your occasional use scenario when you remove the T top?