Honda Service Costs?

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dive'n'fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Honda Service Costs?
    Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 7:58am
dive'n'fish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi,
Just was interested to hear what others experiences had been with service costs.
Just had my motors first service where engine oil and gear box oil was changed as well as greasing a few bolts.

Got a bill of $360 which seemed a lot for a quick oil change so was keen to hear what others experiences were?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 8:18am
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What size engine?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dive'n'fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 8:19am
dive'n'fish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

100hp
When I brought the motor the dealer indicated a cost of $200- 250 for the first service
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 8:50am
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Probably a little high. ~ $300 would have been more like my expectation. $250 on a good day. Service costs for outboards are generally pretty high across the board though. If that was the 20 hour service I would have thought engine oil, filter, gearbox oil and an inspection. So 2 hours labour another 30 mins for prep and clean up plus some parts would be ~$300. Most shops seem to be around $100/hr for labour now so it adds up quickly.
Next time you go in for a service ask them what the estimated man hours are for the 100hr service on that engine and what they will be doing. Check that against the owners mtce guide. Very unlikely on a new engine that they will find anything out of the norm so the estimate and real bill should be very close.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 10:31am
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ask them what they charge per hour. Eye popping rates out there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dunwurkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 5:03pm
Dunwurkn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Honda bf150 20 hour service $628.

3.25 hours labour at $95 ph plus gst.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 6:27pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Dont the manufactures list times to do different jobs in the buleetins for dealers/ franchis workshops?
 In most cases the time is a little on the high side thu, at least for automotive..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Surfski guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 6:41pm
Surfski guy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

BF 60.
Just under $500 for 20 hour service.

New Hilux is $295

I think we’re gettinf ripped off
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 7:02pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What does the invoice say they did and replaced Surfski?Would be interesting to see the details as a 20hr service isn't usually that big.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 7:19pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Here is a Honda service guide. Try and find $500 in that for a 20hr service. This is what you should make yourself familiar with and check that the mechanics are following. Doing anything more 'just to be safe' etc is a waste of time unless there are special circumstances.

I service our outboards and I reckon I could cut out a 20 hour service in about an hour if in a hurry and 2 hours would be pretty fair if you were being really extra thorough like you might want them to be. Parts are engine oil (not filter), gear oil, and a couple of oil plug seal washers. Maybe $60 - $100 depending on engine size etc.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raging Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 7:54pm
Raging Bull View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt
Big Sexy

I was quoted $3000 plus what ever else they found from the 1 out of 5 agents that replied to me when I asked about a 1200hr service for my BF225.

I did the following myself

Thermostats
Exhaust manifold anodes (+gaskets)
Valve clearances
HP Fuel Filter
Oil
Oil filter
Fuel/Water separator
Replaced some rusty bolts with stainless
Valve cover seals
External anodes
Gear box oil
Cowling cover seal

$800 in parts and some data for YouTube!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2018 at 4:19am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Interesting ,so outboards are not like cars,first service free?wonder if you could negotiate a free first service or pay for parts and free labour?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RogueOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2018 at 5:52pm
RogueOne View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

New ones aren't, and you need to get it serviced by a dealer to keep the manufacturers warranty.
Fish City replaced my Mercury 150 impeller and plate at the 20 hour service without asking even though no nicks/dings or scratches - total $620.00 instead of about $300
When i asked "why" and how come they didn't call me to check and "why replacement when no damage" their service manager replied that the "technician wouldn't have replaced them unless he though they needed it" Angry
Haven't (and will never) purchase anything else from them again but have to let them do service as only dealer close-ish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 8:48am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This conservation comes up every couple yrs here.
Tagit comment above

Here is a Honda service guide.....
 When I brought my 1st engine 2nd hand 2S I wanted a full check over and service.. regardless.. was about $750.
  Before the next service came up I got a coppy of the FULL manufactures service and repair manual..
Most of rec fishers will be very hard put to do a full 100hrs before the next 'annual' service.
20/ 30 mins each way.. thats 3/4 to 1 hr running per trip...
 last yr we managed 34 trips, yr before 28.. and there will be very few who even 2 1/2 of that..
So next service I did most of the basic stuff for a 50hr service, which left timing checks etc...
 Yet althu I only asked for certain things.. the f things like the fuel filter and pump impeller still got changed...
 Did I pay for it .. no.. because I got it listed on the work sheet.
 This sort of stuff is prevalent right thru the industry.
 Get yourself the manufactures service / repair manual and only pay for the scheduled stuff the manufacture specifies.
 There are exceptions... 
eg They should ask  if travel in shallow waters often.. ie kick up sand/ mud that is very hard on pump impellers..

And PS  I still have a very good  relationship over the yrs with the workshop/ franchise owner, workshop manager and staff.

If you use a workshop that gets upset when fuel lines not checked , replaced, point out spring U bolts not torqued up 21lb rather than 65lb.. point out non scheduled as per manufactures specs  taking place get another workshop.
 This applies not just to boats, but cars everything else to.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 11:51am
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It has been discussed on here before but I will repeat it.

Some shops will do more work than is required by the service manual. I once had a ~$3000 estimate for a friends twin engine service reduced to $800 by showing him the service manual and how he was paying for what was a 400 hour service every 100 hours.
Spark plugs and impellers are the usual suspects. Some shops will change these every 100 hour service when the real service intervals are much longer than that. Filters (fuel or oil) are also often changed more regularly than needed. It is easy money for the shops. Usually you get told 'better to be safe' or that 'it looked like it needed replacing' etc. 
Best thing is to look at your previous invoices and make a note of where everything is at in service hours vs the manufacturers service guide. Then get your service guy to do what the guide says and only do anything extra if it is cleared with you first. IF something like an impeller or spark plugs suddenly need changing early, ask what is wrong with the engine that makes that necessary.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Durban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2018 at 7:07pm
Durban View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Raging Bull Raging Bull wrote:

I was quoted $3000 plus what ever else they found from the 1 out of 5 agents that replied to me when I asked about a 1200hr service for my BF225.

I did the following myself

Thermostats
Exhaust manifold anodes (+gaskets)
Valve clearances
HP Fuel Filter
Oil
Oil filter
Fuel/Water separator
Replaced some rusty bolts with stainless
Valve cover seals
External anodes
Gear box oil
Cowling cover seal

$800 in parts and some data for YouTube!

You should have also have cleaned or replaced the IAC filter as well because if you do not and it gets clogged you develop idling problems .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Durban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2018 at 7:12pm
Durban View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

The manual does specify to check and or adjust the valve clearance on a 20hr service they also do specify that not all models have to be done on the 1st 20hr service and the 100hp is not mentioned so you have to do it on this model
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2018 at 9:50pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by RogueOne RogueOne wrote:

New ones aren't, and you need to get it serviced by a dealer to keep the manufacturers warranty.
Fish City replaced my Mercury 150 impeller and plate at the 20 hour service without asking even though no nicks/dings or scratches - total $620.00 instead of about $300
When i asked "why" and how come they didn't call me to check and "why replacement when no damage" their service manager replied that the "technician wouldn't have replaced them unless he though they needed it" Angry
Haven't (and will never) purchase anything else from them again but have to let them do service as only dealer close-ish.

Dealer or authorised service agent..
Try Kings Marine..
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 3:51pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This does bring to mind, that just changing the oil and filter, looking at the spark plugs, gearbox oil and water pump, isn't enough..the perils of did servicing are that things like internal anodes get missed..
Something brought this to my attention recently, so I'm gonna have to check them now..
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RogueOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 4:41pm
RogueOne View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Big -Dave Big -Dave wrote:

Originally posted by RogueOne RogueOne wrote:

Dealer or authorised service agent..
Try Kings Marine..

This was an authorised Mercury service agent Cry
Kings don't seem to be an authorised mercury service agent.
Page  12>