A couple of Kings off the sand - Muriwai Magic

Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A couple of Kings off the sand - Muriwai Magic
    Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 3:47pm
nzfishwhisperer View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

With a S - SW wind at 15knts forecast I got hold of the sis to se if she was keen to head up Muriwai beach for the day, low was around 6.00 so the plan was to head to the end and fish wright through the tide. It was going to be a long day but for me it's just about getting a line wet and always love getting the sis out in the West coast elements. We normally fish the main beach as we have a couple of nice low tide spots, but with the 2.5mtr swell the spot was going to be around the hook.

We headed off just before light and made our way out to the beach, I've been driving this beach for over 25yrs but have traveled it much longer. I use to come up here with the old man and friends in the late 70's setting our kontiki and doing a bit of surfcasting, we spent many a nights up Muriwai - it really is a part of my sole.

Crossing over the dune we headed North, the sun was up and as usual this time of the day it was magic. We came across no other traffic and as we neared the end we came across a little seal, at a distance the sis got a couple of quick pics - it's great to share these special moments with someone that doesn't get to do this often. Moving on we came across a few whale bones from a whale that came a shore a couple weeks ago. It's quite cool sometimes what you come across on the wild West coast.

We reached our spot around 7.00 and we set in for a long day of fishing, your pretty much stuck here until the other side of the tide. The plan was to fish from low to low, I don't fish this area often but I know it can hold some nice fish and a few different species. Those special times of the day before and after light would be the best times for Snapper but with Kahawai, Trev's, Gurnard and who else know what cruz this area looking for food.

We had our first baits in on a person-less coastline just after 7.00, I just love it - no one else around and the anticipation of what could be mooching around....

As usual there were plenty of Kahawai around, some of them were of good size. The one thing I love when taking the sis fishing especially off the sand is it don't matter what ya catch there is just a lot of excitement. The bites were far and few between but as the tide rose the bites came on, soon every bait was nailed with in mins by big sea going Kahawai. I didn't really expect much in the way of Snapper as it was pretty shallow and also very bright, but at least we weren't just sitting around. We had a couple of stinger's turn up which is the norm for here and while sorting out a Kahawai my rod loaded up, buckled and stayed buckled. I got the sis to grab it and at a struggle she held on with line stripping non stop.

It looked like maybe it was a big Stingy, a few more solid runs with a couple around 20-30mtrs it still seemed like it was a Stingray. 10mins in and with not much sideways movement it started to look like it maybe something different, maybe a small shark but the longer it held on that two didn't look like the outcome. I started to think could this be a good Kingfish? We do get them sometimes even on baits especially a cube or half pillie. The closer it got the more I could see by what the rod and reel was doing it was going to be a King and a good one at that especially with those solid runs.

Coming in through the waves I could see a big yellow tail come out of the water as it hit the shallows, it was a solid fish alright and an epic catch from the beach. This was my sisters first ever King and it was going to a solid PB for her - I estimated it to around 17kilo but it may have even hit that magic 20kilo for her? With a quick couple of pics she was keen to send it on it's way and it was just as epic to watch it slowly disappear the same way it came in. What an epic catch and she was stoked - this is what my fishing's all about seeing the excitement and smiles my little adventures give.

A few more Kahawai were caught then I hooked up to something solid and it looked like maybe we were going to have Kingfish number 2 - there were a few gannets working the coastline so the place seemed full of baitfish, this is why these guys were hanging around. It was another solid King around that 20kilo man it was pretty cool catching them on the surfcaster.

We also managed a couple of Trev's and a nice Carrot - there was plenty of fish around but no Snapper which I didn't mind to much. We left on the bottom of the tide again it was a good 10hr fish with constant action....

Will be back again to try for some Snapper maybe an overnight is needed to be there for those magic hours.

Tight lines

Fish Whisperer REEL KIWI Fishing #lovemyfishing

Here's a little movie I put together of our epic day on the coast

A pic of some of the whale bones Cool

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ROCKSTARS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 7:55pm
ROCKSTARS View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Great report and great video guys' well done.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 8:28pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fantastic surf casting well done.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 9:08pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wow really well done Approve
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 9:34pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That looks magic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 4:53am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice Jase! Looks a great spot. On the Whale backbone is the public allowed to dismantle and take a few vertibrey home? Be great garden pieces. Beer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 9:30am
nzfishwhisperer View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Yes was an awesome day alright and the Sis was over the moon...

Hey ya Geoff - yes they would, we use to have one when I was a kid which we found up Muriwai....

Left these ones where they stand for Tangaroa to take Smile- I wouldn't put them in the car as the hour drive home would turn to 3 from stopping every 5mins for a chunder Dead 

Tight lines guys and have a safe Xmas and HNY