Lake arapuni

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bbavs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lake arapuni
    Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 9:20pm
Bbavs View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Anyone fished arapuni off the shore? Is it worth giving a go? Any advice would be appreciated, Cheers in advanced...�£
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonyg26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 12:43pm
Tonyg26 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Ive been people catch them on spinners casting off the Dam.
http://www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonyg26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 12:43pm
Tonyg26 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Seen*
http://www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 10:57pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Definitely. Below the Maraetai dam where it enters the top of Lake Arapuni is renowned for big trout. I have seen a huge brownie that would have been well into double figures cruising right against the concrete wall. i have got rainbows around 7-8lb a few years ago when i fished it regularly. At times, you'll see thousands of smelt/whitebait, hence the trout. Due to the lack of back room, use a spinning rod with a small ball sinker, 1m 8-12lb trace and a popular smelt fly. Stand on the concrete structure accessed from the carpark, cast up/across as far as you can, left the rig drift downstream, keeping in touch with the fly. Bang. or no takers, wind in fast when the line reaches directly below you. I never saw a fish caught on the wind in. They typically take at about 3/2 o'clock if 12 is directly below you.
You'll snag the bottom a bit, but it's worth it.

don't leave valuables or fishing gear obvious in your car, there.

Also way down at the bottom of the lake off Arapuni Dam face, same rig into the deep still water. And the road bridge nearby that crosses the outlet of Arapuni, cast upstream and the fly drifts back towards you. But you need a way to land the fish (locals use some genius net contraptions).

Also, I've fly fished the shoreline of the lake, out over the obvious weed beds with a nymphing rig, got some nice fish. But not as productive as the top or bottom of the lake.

Get hold of a Fish & Game brochure on the area.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 12:49am
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sorry T.K I think you mean Lake Waipapa. A well aimed cast up into the tunnels and then get slack line out and rod tip up with a bunch o worms or fly(red rabbits are great) and get slack line out of water and rod tip up as high as possible, can see some fantastic fishing. Also if you are really keen there is a ledge on the left(eastern) side that you can fish off, BUT it is not for the faint of heart and would be recommended to find someone to show you the way, AND do not fish it if generating a lot of power. Also if fishin around waipapa there is a tributary little further up from damn that fishes great at night with big black marabou flies.

Down at the other end before it enter the arapuni dam itself you can fish off the old river course dam. As T,K says 1/4-3/4oz lead(+1m odd trace to fly) depending on water flow. You have to bounce the bottom and stay in contact with your gear so cast well upstream and across. Make yourself a bridgenet to land your fish. This is basically a basket on a rope which you need a mate to co ordinate for you(or any other present angler).

Last note.

Learn to tie your own flys because if you aint losin em, you aint catchin em!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 10:07am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by terrafish terrafish wrote:

Sorry T.K I think you mean Lake Waipapa. 

Learn to tie your own flys because if you aint losin em, you aint catchin em!!!

Apologies, yes I was forgetting Waipapa sandwiched below Maraetai.

Totally agree on that last point. I always tied a bunch of silver (mylar tube), orange and green (sparkle chenille) rabbits  before hitting the tailrace at the top of Arapuni. I always added an eye on the heads of mine with some Twink and a dot of indelible black felt tip, just think it is an extra little touch which can make a difference.

As i said, you can't be afraid to lose flies as that's where the fish are.