Ok I did it - ate a cuda

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (5) Likes(5)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ok I did it - ate a cuda
    Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 5:00pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I was cutting one up for the cray pot and noticed this one only had worms toward the tail end. So cut off a couple of fillets. The bones are weird almost running diagonally along the fillet - Picked through those and put it in the pan. Drum roll......it was good. Tasty and browned up the outside and flaky white inside on heat - will do it again if I cant cut around the worms again.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 5:19pm
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Now go eat some hiwihiwi rock cod. It tastes good,just a lot of work getting the bones out.
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KikBac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 5:30pm
KikBac View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Barracoutta are in the QMS with a TACC of 33,000 tonnes per annum. So someone must eat it. Due to its white flakey flesh, I suspect a lot of it ends up as surimi / crab sticks.
Beer: the most important meal of the day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 5:44pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Full kudos RD to actually try it and find out for your self.

Not only that but survive long enough to post up a fair and honest report  Thumbs Up

Over the yrs, not just fish stuff, the number of things that people comment/ believe, the old wives tales.. and have never taken the time .. or nouse to find out for them selves.

Now as to the worms..
Do they or would they ACTUALLY survive the process of cooking?
Any lava or eggs that may or may not actually exist, survive, and if did so what would be the result?

And taking further, would regular cups of tea  prevent worm infection as does will most common gut worms?

And if all that was ok...wounder what they would taste like.. huhu grubs ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 6:09pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I've tried them a few times, not recently though. They taste ok and they smoke up ok
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 6:25pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

In a lot of countries, coutta would be regarded as a fine sporting and eating fish. The worms are a bummer though. I ate some frost fish recently, that had some worms in it, just discarded those bits.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 6:29pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I actually tried it after a conversation with my old man that eats absolutely anything no matter how old - he has even eaten maggots he pan fry’s And said when he grew up in the whopwhops they called it Maori rice and it tasted best from eels hanging from the cloths line. I grew up with brain he had just whipped out of a sheep and spread on toast like banana - pig trotters any part of a animal, from jars of pigs eyes etc etc.. anyway he said what’s wrong with eating barracuda in NZ? He says his family kept them and pulled the worms out and used them like fish spaghetti so I guess they do no harm (well maybe to a normal person). So I built up the courage and picked around the worms hahaha - I would eat cuda again for sure.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 6:56pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Hehe I've heard of maori rice. Not that keen to be honest. When I first moved out rural my in laws came over for lunch. I made my mother in law a sandwich made from live huhu grubs. We actually served cooked huhu's for my last big party. along with Kentucky fried rabbit, goose, wild turkey etc etc
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 7:27pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Hehe I've heard of maori rice. Not that keen to be honest. When I first moved out rural my in laws came over for lunch. I made my mother in law a sandwich made from live huhu grubs. We actually served cooked huhu's for my last big party. along with Kentucky fried rabbit, goose, wild turkey etc etc

Many peoples all over the world used to deliberately cultivate maggots as a source of protein.
It is an age old practice.
Our modern sensibilities stop us from eating them now.
Wonder how Vegans would view maggots and the eating of?
Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 8:10pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I must try it sometime Reel Deal. As Steps mentioned, there's a lot of old wives tales out there. One that springs to mind is that big snappa are no good for eating, bollocks. Smoked or pan fried they're great.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 8:41pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I don’t think big snapper taste bad at all, it’s just the fillets are too thick to cook nicely, so maybe that’s how the story came about? Obviously, you can slice the fillets thinner.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 9:25pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yip them old wives tales!! My first lesson on them was when young fishing raglan wharf an old man told me to use kawhia bait as kawhia dont eat kawhia as we were fishing for snapper - Had a big crowd around a few years later fishing off rafted boats and declared my knowledge of put kawhia on as kawhia wont eat it...we all caught a kawhia. Just caught up with a friend the other day after many years and he reminded me of it. I’m still spinner of the year it seems haha.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 9:29pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

V8 - Coupe I’d imagine the Vegans would be ok with maggots and bugs as unlike meat production its not bad for the environment- doesn’t hurt advanced animals and is probably good for you.
But like some meat eaters, some vegans wont be able to stomach it.

They say insects and bugs is the future food.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 9:44pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cannibalism will be the future LOL 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KikBac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 9:45pm
KikBac View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by MightyBoosh MightyBoosh wrote:

I don’t think big snapper taste bad at all, it’s just the fillets are too thick to cook nicely, so maybe that’s how the story came about? Obviously, you can slice the fillets thinner.
An old uncle told me as a kid it was his job to get a snapper for dinner. They were thick in Tairua harbour feeding on the pipi bank with their tails sticking out of the water, all you had to do was flick one up on the bank with a stick. As they had 8 x mouths to feed he was told to get a 10lb snapper (no fridges in those days!) If the fish he bought home was too big for the family to eat in one sitting he got walloped with said stick.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 9:57pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Kickbac my wife’s mum told me stories of Tairua harbour that were similar and she has a photo posing with snapper. Every cast resulted in a 10 pound plus snapper. Sadly they would fill up the boot of their old car and drive the windy gravel road back to Hamilton and dish the fish out to the street
They would pick the fish size they would cast to...thought the story maybe old school exaggeration but your story makes me re think that,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 7:36am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

One that springs to mind is that big snappa are no good for eating, bollocks. Smoked or pan fried they're great.

Yep .. do find that pan fried best on the day.. next day curries, stir fry.. they do firm up a little in texture next day.
 I have not quick smoked, good sized fillets are smoked 5 to 6 hrs. Find smoking on the day results are not as good as smoking next , or following day...

I think like you RD we where brought up on all that stuff, not the rice thu..
What I could not stomach thu was the sweetcorn fermented in the creek.. cant rem what called now.
 We used to have sheeps brains for breakfast.. and wish could find the reciep my Mum used.
 They got think boiled, then where soaked over night.
 Then cooked in hot oven tray with bread crumbs till all golden brown.

A lot of these old recipes using stale bread dont work anymore thu.. the wheat we have since the 70ss is different, higher in gluten as well... breed by a canadian , gross shorter.. less rain damage , heavy cropping and ant why can use.. it goes mouldy before it drys and goes stale.
I recon it has a lot to do with gluten intolerant stuff.

Kidneys.. brain food.. high iron and minerals..we had evening before a big exam or sports day.. slice throw in a pan boiling water, bit butter little pepper whatever.. dont let all the juice dry out.. cook right thru.. just.. dump on a couple slices toast and soak up the juices..
Still regularly have as a quick 'junk food' snack.

Isn't it funny how animals , primitive societies, 1st thing they go for is the high protein/ mineral parts.. liver , kidneys , heart , brain, and meat next to the bone... yet our precious modern know all society would rather have a bag of unhealthy chips or a cream bun ...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 9:49am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

My brother was visiting from Cairns a few years back & we were enjoying a few bevies whilst picking away on a still warm freshly hot smoked bluenose head. The conversation turned to a reminisce of when we were young kids & used to be horrified by the sight of our grand dad, having simmered a large pot of big snapper heads proceed to scoop the eye balls out with a spoon then swallow them with great relish.

We must have had a few drinkies by then as when he pointed at the bluenose saying "If I try one, will you try the other" & with false bravado I answered "OK" presuming he was bluffing.

However I watched in disbelief as he scooped an eye out then slipped it in his mouth, chewed on it for a couple of seconds then let it slip down his throat.

We grew up never to welsh on a dare once accepted so realised I was now committed to my side of the bargain albeit in great trepidation, realising the longer I delayed doing so, the worse it would be.

Consequently I followed suit & we both agreed afterwards that the experience was nowhere as bad as we thought it would be, in fact would not object to a repeat performance some time.

The taste was quite enjoyable in fact but it was the texture that surprised the most as was super delicate, almost glutenous & not at all marble like as we expected.

Anyone else tried them ... if so what did you think ?
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 9:50am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hey Steps. That's exactly what the orcas did to the great whites off south Africa.hunt in a pod then go for the liver.left rest to wash ashore on discovery last night.now there appears to Bea white shortage so they now go for 7 Gill sharks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 10:19am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sry Bazza.. tried the fish eyes, and neverfound it pleasnt experiance....but not bad enough to pull someone else into a dare thu..
 Favourite is gutting a fish on the boat, the heart and/ or liver, still beating...if a fan of oysters go for it.
 And they are very nice lightly fried in a little butter, along with row.
 or smoked on a bit off oiled mesh in a little spare space in the smoke.
Another excellent 'junk food' 
Page  12>