kona blues

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote segador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: kona blues
    Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 8:55am
segador View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Had a awesome trip to kona last month,we set the boat up first day and got straight into it the day after we got there 
DAY 1
Currents more favoured the grounds this day so we turned right out the harbour and drove along the 1000 north heading to a spot called the top corner,once we arrived there we were stoked to see tonnes of bait on the ledge always a good sign,we started working our grid,by 1 o'clock we had our first shot a nice blue marlin of around 200 pounds smashed the bonze btk on short rigger,he started jumping rite off the bite and went mental but that didn't last long as he jumped himself off buggerOuch nothing else doing the rest of the day 

Day2
maintenance day
Day3
The currents had changed and were coming from the south so we turned left out the harbour and headed for my favourite place to fish in kona REDHILL,once we got there we line up a trail that runs down the hill,we have caught lots of fish by just working this spot in front of the trail,first pass on the trail run i see bryan toney come past in front of me as I'm admiring his awesome boat i see a huge explosion on his rigger,wholly crap he's hooked a nice one right in front of me,the fish starts tearing the ocean apart then nothing i think he's dropped it i said to karma,shore enough it come off so we both started working the area for a while with no more action at about 1 o'clock i see black barts old boat now called the huntress come through the area i was working and shore enough he bloody hooks one just travelling south lucky bugger,so bit of a frustrating day but sometimes its just not your turn
Day 3
with yesterdays action we were amping to get back to the trail so got up super early so we were the first boat there,we turned in off the 1000 and were doing our first pass on the trail and boom i watched a nice blue of around 150 pounds smash the the bonze ultimate on long corner wicked bite and what a show he sped across the surface back into the spread then did a massive backflip then started coming back up our wake at the boat luckily i was already doing a turn on him so avoided collision,he tore up the ocean some more then sounded and just sulked the rest of the fight after 15 mins we had him boat side sweet first fish of the trip

we let him go and he swam away healthy,we worked the area till around 3 with no more action we decided to go in for a quick snorkel at captain cook monument as it was bloody hot,we set the lures again for the trip home and just before we got back to the harbour off kaiwi point the bonze ultimate on long corner goes off again,this time we had hooked no rat a 400 pound blue comes flying out the ocean and goes bazerk what a site looked awesome as the sun was just setting,my wife karma has become a great angler doing it all on 80ws and standup,we got her to the boat in 45 mins took some quick pics and she swam off healthyBig smile

day 4
back down to redhill and started working the same area what a awesome day not a breath of wind,we stayed on the trail till around 11 with it looking pretty quiet i started doing a few passes further north,karma noticed some birds just sitting on the water,so we went over to them just as we get there i look back see a big whole open up behind the bonze ultimate on long corner the rigger goes off but no noise from the reel so i race down grab the rod and hold lure back into position,i waited a while for him to come back but no luck i put it back in the clip and turned to get back to were we had the shot,just as i turn i look back and there he is chewing on the same lure again but this time he eats it good and the tiagra ratchet comes to life,i set the auto pilot and start clearing gear as theres only 2 of us theres no one on the wheel,as I'm clearing the long rigger i watch the fish start grey hounding straight at us,I'm getting pretty nervous but luckily he changed angles 1o meters from the boat and started jumping along side us what a site,with the boat doing 8knots he still overtook us and was outta there geez they can move,we got the gear cleared pronto and started backing down on him and got him in pretty quick a nice healthy 250 pound fish ready to fight another dayBig smile

we re set the gear and had 2 more shots that day one on the bonze scorpion and one on the bonze violator but were both crap bites with no hook upAngry
DAY5 
was a blank no action at all
was another awesome trip the weather didn't get over 10 knots the whole week can't wait to get backThumbs Up

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 1:11pm
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Always a pleasure reading your reports Troy.  Awesome fishing bro!!  Keep it up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 6:26pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Fantastic, thanks for the report.
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 10:02pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah that's looks like a great place to visit. Nice report. Like boat too.