Rate my setup

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rate my setup
    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 8:53am
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I'm new to SWF, and the old man has been talking big game about heading up north to target snapper in the shallows. 
So I got this as a Christmas present "for my Dad" off Trademe - Which I'm hoping to get some use out of as well LOL

Pics below. 
Rod is a Composite Developments, Downunder Series GIII 9 wt.
Anyone familiar with these rods? 
Couldn't find any info on it but picked it up for $90 so can't complain. 

Reel is a Redington Behemoth, 9/10wt w/spare spool which I got for $330. 
Came with RIO "Avid" series, 350gr 8-9wt Sink Tip. 
Other spool came with Scientific Anglers "BOOST" WF 9F.   

I'm a bit on sure on how best to rig these up in different situations, so any advice would be much appreciated. 
I.e what leader length - does it need to be tapered?  
When is it appropriate to use floating vs. sinking line? 

On fresh water with sinking line I just have a 1m leader of 10 lb mono. Can I do a similar thing on the Salt but maybe 20lb? 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 5:42pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

not sure on CD rods,
Im  not a fan of them personally found them pretty noodly but that was yonks ago,
id hope they were better constructed now,
flooater for Kings and Kahawai with a crease/ popper or streamer.
sinker for snaps trevs,
I like to go a rod length of 20lb fluorocarbon for leader[good quality],
stay away from nylon, slowly degrades, and will fail/wear easier than fluoro.

that's my 10 cents, just remember everyone will have different opinions,
but the things I expect will all agree on is
-Good Knots
-quality leader
-and good quality hooks, that are kept a s sharp as possible[a small diamond file in ya pocket can be the diferrence of a good/bad day]

By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 11:12pm
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks for that, going to try the flats in Tauranga harbour tomorrow morning before work. I only have a couple flies I tied at the moment so will give one of those a crack with a sinking line
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mike.Thomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 1:17am
Mike.Thomas View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You wont need a sinking line much on the flats, you should be able to fish down to at least 5 or 6 feet using a floating line. Most Salt Water flies are fairly heavy. 
Save the sink tip for fishing deep water out of a boat or from very close to a big drop off!
As above, use Flourocarbon, no need for a taper, just a straight nine foot or so of whatever breaking strain you fancy.
The Rod you have is up to the task and a 9# is about right as an allrounder, the reel is a very good bit of kit and will handle anything you are likely to hook!
All the best
Mike
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 10:04am
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Some good advice there from the team.

I must say iv gone away from flurocarbon for exactly the same reasons that Adam (FISHBYFLY) has given.  The stuff never breaks down.  Naturally your going to loose some leader at some point out there, and id hate to think that the stuff is floating around our oceans for possibly hundreds of years causing all kinds of issues. 

Just stick with mono, and change regularly.  We all know the stuff breaks down with UV and eventuality its gone. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 8:09am
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Great advice, thank you very much everyone. I'm trying to sponge up as much info as I can. 

Good point on the fluro Fraser, I do hate to leave anything behind so I might follow your lead on that. Mono's cheaper to! haha