By Hokey New Zealand, It's in the bag. Mokau

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (19) Likes(19)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: By Hokey New Zealand, It's in the bag. Mokau
    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 9:55pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes I stole that line off Selwyn Toogood.

With the forecast looking perfect for a fish off Mokau, I made contact with Geoff. He was keen and chomping at the bit to guide me on to my first 20lber. Friday morning arrived at 3:30am and on the road by 4:15. I was greeted at Mokau by Geoff and Heidi with a fresh coffee and an outstanding omlette.
On the beach and ready to launch the little Mac just after 8am. Flat seas in front of us and anticipation building head off. We motored out to Geoff's number one outgoing tide spot about 20m deep.
After 3 1/2 hours and only a few pannies and baitfish caught we heading down the coast during the slack low tide period. As we got close to the area to be fished we could see lots of gannets gathering on the surface.
Straylines and sabikis out, the wait was on. Some fresh kahawai was caught and things are looking good. With 2-2:30pm approaching and only a few snaps in the bin, time was against us to nail my first 20lber. While waiting for the straylines to show some interest I thought I'd ask Geoff a question. "Geoff, do you just take that big fibreglass snapper off your wall every so often and post a pic on the forum for the rest of us to drool over." "No, definitely not, they should be coming through soon".
It was now 3:30pm and the big baits were getting some attention. 4kg, 5kg, 6kg, a couple around 7-8kg coming in. Chunks of bait were getting thrown over the side to keep them around. Geoff's rod picks up a screamer and a battle takes place. After several good runs a good fat 20lber + pops up. A bit of a tangle in the net with line and hooks. Geoff was wanting to release this one, so a bit of a team work was needed to get him free. " We'll get a photo too" says Geoff. Before the camera could be organized, my line goes on a quick but short burst, maybe 10-15m of line peeled off and then stopped. " Okay, we'll get this photo before you release it". Too late, my reel is going for it again. Over the side, Geoff's big snappa went and I was hooked into a goodie. " Does it feel heavy" "Not sure yet, he definitely doesn't want to come off the bottom" I said. After getting him up a few meters and turning his head back down to the bottom several times, he was starting to tire. As it started to come up through the water colum I turned down the drag, as I wasn't going to risk losing this one. More head shake's and tail beats later, a short but fat stocky snapper arrived at the side of the boat. " It could be the one" said Geoff. Once in the boat, it was looking at least 20lb, maybe a bit over. Time to crack open a celebratory beer that was brought along for this very occasion. High fives and a few woo-hoos, it was time to head back in. We went to the local butcher's shop for an official weigh-in and it pulled the scales down to 10.26kg or 23lbs. Mission accomplished.
For those of you that haven't met Geoff before, his enthusiasm and excitement for catching big snapper is like no-ones I've met before. Thanks again Geoff your a legend, a day I'll never forget.

Geoff will Post some pics soon, as there on his camera.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 10:01pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice work boys!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 10:13pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great Report Craig! Pics of P.B!Beer

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 11:19pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Congratulations mate and a nice looking specimen to. You do realise that you can never do that again tho! You can only ever catch your first 20lber once. Everyother one is second +
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 11:27pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Well done Craig (and Snapper Geoff), great write up too.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 1:26am
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice fish, looks like a healthy specimen, very deep. Good to place a tick in the 20lb box.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 12:41pm
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Awesome work Kitno and skipper Geoff!

Easier than getting the Manukau Carrot aye mate
"Team Skunk 10th equal Grunter Hunter 2020"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clifftastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 1:09pm
Clifftastic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great write up - cheers!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote vr4king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 2:47pm
vr4king View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Sensational.....Must get my ass up there this summer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 6:54pm
Muzzfishing View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Wow shes a beauty, another Mokau monsterThumbs Up

A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 8:32pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Hi Kitno

Congrats on a great fish, and one of the best posts ever!  Liked
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 8:40pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well done, mate. Great report. It'll be hard to settle for a Tauranga pannie in the dark this summer, you'll be itching to get back there!
Geoff, you deserve a lot of recognition for your willingness to share your knowledge, your special part of the world, and your sheer passion with forum members.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 9:06pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

Well done, mate. Great report. It'll be hard to settle for a Tauranga pannie in the dark this summer, you'll be itching to get back there!
Geoff, you deserve a lot of recognition for your willingness to share your knowledge, your special part of the world, and your sheer passion with forum members.

If I had to do the math on catching this fish, it would probably be 90 Geoff, and 10 me. Maybe even more for him.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 9:09pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by skunk skunk wrote:

Awesome work Kitno and skipper Geoff!

Easier than getting the Manukau Carrot aye mate

The mythical Manukau carrot.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 9:32pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Congrats bro - wicked fish. Big ups to Geoff - say mo more!!! And another great report on the Mokau fishery.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 9:32pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great report I loved my trip out with Geoff also - to busy working now Cry

Those Mokau Snaps .... amazing.  Liked
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 5:34am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wow, response to Craigs Post has been Awesome Guys! If there was still Maui Jim Sunnies give away for most likes of the month, I'm sure Craig would of won!                                                                           Have made some great friends from Forum Members coming here to have a crack at a twenty pounder. Its something i enjoy doing, as long as they never get a real monster knocking me off my perchLOL Yep, sometimes it still blows me away on the Fishery here and my methods working. if i was to fish deeper where most boats go using legers and artificial baits my catch rate on the bigger fish would drop dramatically. Beer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote the demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 6:12am
the demon View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice !

Always a goody for weddings since you quoted The mighty selwyn .

Telegram reads, you should of taken the money !!!!! , not the bag
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2018 at 11:30am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Snappa Geoff Snappa Geoff wrote:

Yep, sometimes it still blows me away on the Fishery here and my methods working. if i was to fish deeper where most boats go using legers and artificial baits my catch rate on the bigger fish would drop dramatically. Beer

I reckon you're right too Geoff
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jackel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2018 at 5:05pm
jackel View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice work lads, cool report and a solid fish into the 20's!! Liked!!
Page  12>