ARE YOU READY!?

Page  <1 2345>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 8:44pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think he means the shank or entire hook is in an entire plane.
Or ir lied flat the hook would be flat to the surface over its entire length.

I have no problem with this style.

Which is why I predominately use gamugatzu hooks.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 9:18pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

There are a number of 12/0 offset circles available. Finding one with a slim profile maybe a little more challenging. The slim profile circles are more likely to be inline circles (non offset) as recommended by the Billfish Foundation.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 11:16pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Using an offset circle is pretty close to just using a J. They just show less visible damage on their way into the corner of the jaw. Fair few places in the world where offset circles are frowned upon for that reason.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 11:47pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mattoo is correct - filing it won't help.
I will post a pic maybe tomorrow of the two types to make it clear.
Not sure why one is frowned on. I find circle hooks much better. Every hook up has been in the corner of the gob. Better than a fish swallowing a J hook, and the hook up rate is better for the angler. Why would there be a problem with offset hooks? They work for me,and thats what counts. In my world anyway.
Regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 12:56am
Platinum
Platinum

"Why would there be a problem with offset hooks?"

Alan the belief is that an offset circle when swallowed will still gut hook as compared to an inline circle that will not or at least is less likely to gut hook. That is why offset circles are frowned upon by the Billfish Foundation.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 8:24am
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The offset circles can and do still get snagged down the gob, just not as solidly. Then tear out and relocate in the corner.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 3:14pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Right, yes thinking on it, it is sort of a cross between J and circle.I can't think of anytime the offset 10/0 has actually snagged inside the gob. Always in the corner from memory.
But it does seem to me that it is a 50/50 call as to which direction the circle is lying as to whether it is going to snag the corner. If the circle is facing away from you (angler) it would seem you are destined to drag it out backwards - ie backside of shank leading the way - rather than circle side.
Regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 3:27pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

OK, 10/0 offset in front, 12/0 flat circle in rear. I try and avoid marlin so am targetting mahi/YF with the 10/0 on livies. You can't always choose what jumps on your line (once caught a marlin on a garfish on my skippy rod). But I don't recall hooking a marlin with the 10/0.
The other pic is another variation on the straight(flat) circle hook up. New technique. The fish has never adequately explained how it hooked itself in the head on a circle hook with a livie.
Regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote reel crayze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 3:48pm
reel crayze View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

OK, 10/0 offset in front, 12/0 flat circle in rear. I try and avoid marlin so am targetting mahi/YF with the 10/0 on livies. You can't always choose what jumps on your line (once caught a marlin on a garfish on my skippy rod). But I don't recall hooking a marlin with the 10/0.
The other pic is another variation on the straight(flat) circle hook up. New technique. The fish has never adequately explained how it hooked itself in the head on a circle hook with a livie.
Regards
Alan

Man you live a tough life, lol "I try and avoid hooking marlin"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote waynorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 4:11pm
waynorth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

...the hook will not be upright in the fish's gob. It will be lying/squashed flat. If it has the back of the shank to your rod side, it seems there is a good chance you can pull it out without a bite. 

Something I've wondered about too Alan. I remember one article where the author said that for this reason circle hooks should always be snelled to the leader with the leader exiting on the point side of the hook eye, rather than knotted or crimped, so the offset lever action, small as it is, rolls the circle so it is facing the right way - point towards the rod.

Regarding the length of the bridle, the explanation Nathan from BAF gives in this video makes a lot of sense if you aren't worried about being IGFA compliant.  
treat fish like fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote waynorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 4:14pm
waynorth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by reel crayze reel crayze wrote:

Man you live a tough life, lol "I try and avoid hooking marlin"

Yes classic comment there Alan !

It's a bit like one of my favourite lines from Zane Grey: "We started fishing north towards the Cavallis, and by lunchtime we hadn't caught a single marlin". How disappointing. Confused
treat fish like fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 7:13pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Oh - thats funny. Well it is logical as far as my situation goes. 90% of time I am solo. A marlin just wrecks my morning. I am usually looking for something to take home to eat. Never taken a marlin home. So no use to me. And by the time I have wrestled it to the boat for the privilege of getting my hook back, I am often that buggered I can't be bothered carrying on. So for the sake of a day going to plan, I do try and avoid them.
Then my mate turns up last week and we can't catch one for love nor money. I promised I won't snag one soon after he went back.
Thanks for the tip Waynorth - will check it out. There is more to the circle hook than meets the eye I suspect.
Spent 4 hrs trying a new plan for mahi today with zero result. Spent the next hr nailing some YF on poppers.
Regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 8:52pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by waynorth waynorth wrote:

... I remember one article where the author said that for this reason circle hooks should always be snelled to the leader with the leader exiting on the point side of the hook eye, rather than knotted or crimped, so the offset lever action, small as it is, rolls the circle so it is facing the right way - point towards the rod.

I've read the same many, many times. What puzzles me though is that tuna longliners do not rig their hooks that way on the snoods. An acquaintance of mine worked on tuna longliners for many years and he said the circle hooks they used were mostly on solid rings and therefore free swinging.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 8:53pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Lot of stuff says snell like snapper long line knot and if you read all that stuff you’d think physics dictate that. 
Truth is it’s not best practise by guys who sometimes catch 100 marlin a day on livies . Their rigs have small loops knotted on to hook so hook still has movement within small loop. Was shown variation polomar or san diago jam. It was  tricky to tie to get loop small enough with my fat fingers.  Need to ensure knot doesn’t compress and allows movement of hook. I think it is sometimes referred to as a cabo knot. 
I would hazard a guess with heavier leader a simple loop and small crimp would achieve same although stronger hooks like galvanised mustard recurves may be different in level of stickiness and penatration. What I can say is mackerel  rigged this way on a decent lighter gauge 9/0 to 10/0 gamakatsu or eagle claw straight non offset circle have about 100% hook up ratio on billfish provided those on reel apply pressure the right way.
Don’t think those guys I witnessed using this rig miss many fish - and the awards, trophies and their daily catch rates would say they are among best in world at catching striped marlin on baits.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote reel crayze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 7:44am
reel crayze View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by shaneg shaneg wrote:

Lot of stuff says snell like snapper long line knot and if you read all that stuff you’d think physics dictate that. 
Truth is it’s not best practise by guys who sometimes catch 100 marlin a day on livies . Their rigs have small loops knotted on to hook so hook still has movement within small loop. Was shown variation polomar or san diago jam. It was  tricky to tie to get loop small enough with my fat fingers.  Need to ensure knot doesn’t compress and allows movement of hook. I think it is sometimes referred to as a cabo knot. 
I would hazard a guess with heavier leader a simple loop and small crimp would achieve same although stronger hooks like galvanised mustard recurves may be different in level of stickiness and penatration. What I can say is mackerel  rigged this way on a decent lighter gauge 9/0 to 10/0 gamakatsu or eagle claw straight non offset circle have about 100% hook up ratio on billfish provided those on reel apply pressure the right way.
Don’t think those guys I witnessed using this rig miss many fish - and the awards, trophies and their daily catch rates would say they are among best in world at catching striped marlin on baits.

Hook model please ?

Is this trolling live macks or fishing a statioary boat with a meatball sheltering underneath or both ?

Tell me about applying the pressure on the bite please ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 9:11am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes - I wonder about the pressure. I ease the pressure on progressively. So it doesn't whip the hook out. I try and slide it in his gob so it has time to orientate it self and turn the corner. rather than flick out.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 3:37pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by reel crayze reel crayze wrote:

Originally posted by shaneg shaneg wrote:

... What I can say is mackerel  rigged this way on a decent lighter gauge 9/0 to 10/0 gamakatsu or eagle claw straight non offset circle have about 100% hook up ratio on billfish provided those on reel apply pressure the right way. ...

Hook model please ?

Is this trolling live macks or fishing a statioary boat with a meatball sheltering underneath or both ?

Tell me about applying the pressure on the bite please ?
I would be very surprised if the Eagle Claw hooks referred to above are not the L2004 model.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 7:07pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

They are eagle claws I think sold in minervas tackle in Cabo - pretty cool shop,  not sure exact model. They sell a lot of them. Look same as in above link.

Livebaiting from drifting boats with motor kept running to stay over bait schools.

Pressure probably more feel thing and they are generally using softer longer rods like 7 foot seekers. Obviously not striking. Fishing in free spool - then basically engage (drag star or lever ) at right time (probably where skill comes in) to create enough pressure to have fish to run off against drag and pull hook home

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 7:49pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I always fish the live baits in 'free spool'. Once they have run to the depth they want (usually target zone) I put the smallest amount of drag just to hold them there. Don't need 1/2 k of line out. 50-100m will do. Then as soon as they get excited - rod tip going, clicker pulling , I let the drag off and thumb the spool. Watching rod tip all the time. Early warning system. If it twitches, grab reel and let last of the drag off. In my experience YF and mahi are very sensitive to any drag. Marlin less so, but the more stealthy the better.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 8:20pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sounds like you’re lucky enough to get fair bit of practise too Alan.
Here’s few photos been trying to post last half hour.
Page  <1 2345>