ARE YOU READY!?

Page  <12345>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 6:15pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Lures

The saying goes Lures catch.....fisherman first.

If your trolling artificial lures you'll need a couple.
Probably ten is enough, ok fifteen, maybe I need..

Lures are a representation of a bait source or food source if your the predator.

Some old mantras remain the same, "match the hatch".
Not only do we consider size first, as a lure is a silhouette suggesting size, colour becomes a small component but action is a better contributor as it suggests distress.

Lures come in size and shape, heads are small to large with different profiles and faces which determine the movement or action of the lure in the water. Add skirts and the dimensions and in part the action changes.

I would have to be a charter skipper with more than one lifetime to evaluate the possibilities of which lures are best.
If we consider the amount of brands and sizes and shapes and even more colours there is no guaranteed lure combination or those businesses would of gone out of business long ago. So no one lure is a qualified guarantee.
But we can ascertain from them all some basic facts.
As above, size and action are the commons.

Dragging your lures in the right place at the right time with an action that creates a reaction from the predator is our goal and our highest chance of success.

As I believe action and size are the most important I also believe that to allow the lure too be at its best, we need to set it appropriately.
Meaning the right position in the wave face, the angle of line being trolled from the riggers or rod, the choice of line weight. The latter I believe is a very important component. I'm quite comfortable in recommending as light a trace or windon as you are prepared to go. I also believe that fluoro carbon maybe to stiff so consider supple trace as an alternative.

As lures are a huge subject. I suggest more time in focusing on what is the most likely prey in the area your working. What is the range of actions I can use in this size range. Colours to me are a latter, but in the theme of hatch, colour should represent that area while taking into account the light conditions, the sea conditions.... you see the options can still be generated.
So try and be confident in your evaluation of likely prey first and make your best call.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2018 at 12:27am
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Fished with a skipper who would reskirt lures on the run if a fish had a look at one and turned its nose up at it, Re-jig of the colour/size and next fish would crash it(maybe). Another well reknown skipper turned skirts 180degrees and would often run a full pettern of these pacifics for a solid return, Had a hooker on a tease and switch trip that we could not replicate the colour with what we had on board and ran all other lures as close as possible to it, with frequent switching out. End result was 12 out of 14 bites to the one lure in 5 days. Next few trips only raised a couple of fish. It was the perfect match for that bite, in that place, in that time and has never raised fish in substance again. The fish were absolutely crashing this lure and were tricky to switch such was there focus on it. Colour plays a part on its day no doubt, just as much as size, action, and position do. Say for example a black/purple hooker. At the time you raise a fish on a medium swimmer, it comes up has a look and turns away. Was it size,colour, action or position that raised it? Fact is that something wasn't right on the day even though the fish was interested. A change of any of the first three or multiples can result in in a 5/4/3 day. Popular spreads catch a lot of fish because they get a lot of splash time and rightly so, but don't be afraid to chuck in a wild card, and change it frequently.

Run your lures that you have confidence in by all means but play that wild card regular and change it out regular when you stumble on THE ONE for that day you wont regret it.

Sorry Matt, but colour counts as much as all else.

On a bonus note lure aquisition is a hobby in itself just make sure you run em!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2018 at 7:06am
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Terrafish,
Great response.

Lure fishing is a fascinating variety of results and techniques.

Your real time observations are why it is so.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2018 at 7:14pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Livebaiting.

You have some excellent opportunities livebaiting.

With livebaits you can catch them before hand and there are
some go too's like jack macs and koheru. There is also kawhai, trevs, maomao, leather jackets, skippies, albies, squid, mahimahi and if legal kingfish..

A tip I learnt from Mrs Matt Watson as an example of livebaiting was if you catch a skippie, then deploy where you caught it.

Livies can be trolled very slowly from riggers with hands on line with enough slack to feel the bite before the take.
Or deployed while stationery.

I believe you can also never be concerned about the size of your livie when deployed.
An example would be that dirty big bait deployed for a snapper and an undersized comes up with most of it hanging out of its gob.
I'm saying don't be concerned about the size of your livie big or small.
Why, because a low energy snack wether large or small is a winner for a predator who is living by hunting while he expends the least energy to do so.

When releasing your livie for certain doom consider your hook style and placement.
Is the position for stationery or while your trolling. Have you mastered the art of needle work and keeping your livie alive and in pristine condition before released to certain yum cha.
Keep the hook with the gape as clear as possible and in a direction that will actually hook up, forward.

Consider the line weight of the trace and will it restrict or make the movements of the bait unusual to the predator.

Did you take the right gear to catch your livies, do you have the tools of livebaits tanks and tuna tubes to care for your friends.

Are you prepared with appropriate sized pre made live bait rigs so time is not wasted.

Live baiting is one of the most successful techniques of Gamefishing for Marlin as an example so being prepared is a win.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hodder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 4:39pm
Hodder View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Fish don’t eat warm water.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 7:45pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Indecision,

A fishermans curse.
There are a multitude of times that many of us are guilty of.
Being indecisive about what's in front of our face.

When we plan a mission to reward ourselves with epic results and stories of bragging history we often fail in recognising what's in front of us, or become distracted from our plan or fail to commit to our goal as treats on our path distract us.

If we plan to target a species in a zone that has been researched we should target that with our best endeavours.

The problem of distraction arises when we see something thats maybe worth a look.
It may very well be, but if evaluated properly it may be of no value.
Recognising the difference does help.
But driving away from goodsign is also a mistake.

A common mistake is seeing good sign but leaving it to pursue our mission.
If you find good evaluated sign, then work the crap out of it, not for half an hour but maybe a whole day if the sign remains positive.

The challenge is our ability to recognise an opportunity or distraction.

If the zone has bait that shows predator marks it's of interest.
Let's say there are birds there, do you recognise the birds and what they feed on. These are clues.
Are there good temps, upwellings, convergence of currents. Was the chlorophyll charts developing in this area for days prior.
Is the sea bed terrain an influence in this area.

If we want to piss time and gas away we will ignore these signs of opportunity and distraction and muddle on.
But the fisherman in the main will identify these situations as yay or nay.

What will you next time out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mangre 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 8:40pm
mangre 2 View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Whats the Plan...  Awesome Matoo.  Don't worry about what everyone else is doing, process of elimination in so many ways
Beautiful is better than ugly, Explicit is better than implicit, Simple is better than complex, Complex is better than complicated.      http://oceanmobilemap.blogspot.co.nz/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 6:34am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes, Mattoo is on to it. You should always have a well researched plan, unless you own a gas station and time is no issue. But random results are just that. The satisfaction is when the plan works. But the difference between a good skipper and an average one, is being able to switch the plan - based on good decisions about what is front of them. Knowing when to make a change. Comes with knowing the water - the wildlife that inhabits it. Being able to recognise when things are better than normal.
I have friends come over to Vtu to fish - usually a week, so we try and make each day count. A plan for each day, made the night before, based on how the day went. And I always like to have a week or so fishing, before they arrive - to get a feel for what is going on. Hard to describe. But the plan does not begin with a blank sheet of paper. It is based on how the fish are behaving at the time.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 5:46pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well the time has come to finish this post for me, for some phew maybe a term used.

This one sided conversation was meant to be a conversation to stimulate the sharing of knowledge for those who come behind us, and those of us still learning, and a brush up reminder for the forthcoming season for those of us now long in the tooth, from those who used to frequent this forum.
Don't get me wrong forums can be a very good tool as this was when I first joined. it still has the structure to be so.

The forum is not as used by keen and experienced fisherman as it used to be, I can understand the burnout or progression to faceless and basically useless avenues such as Facebook. " My Post I'll have a dig if I want to".
I also recognise that the sharing of information has led to a polethera of boats taking up ramps, car parks and sea space.

It was recently pointed out to me that there are more robots using this site than actual beings.
Oh well maybe they'll learn to fish as well.

But truely I'm gunna put my plan into action, I've done all the above I think.
The fish are here in case you didn't know.
I'm now in the last stages of some late prep and planning for more time on the water than recent years.

It doesn't matter to anyone but yourself if your a first timer a go for gold group or a keen tas game fisherman. It's really about what effort you want to put into this exciting once a year influx of tourists that are good on the tooth, brilliant in mates stories, epic in tas and a bloody good use and experience of our great little islands.

I wish all of you the best of luck for the season, and for me more .

If you see me on the water, stay well clear I'm either hooked up or pissing around. Nothing to see hear,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 7:09am
the demon View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good on ya Mattoo, im sure someone with minimal experience have enjoyed your online tutorial  and those with all the world experience have to . Yes 20 years ago this forum was bloody great in the game fishing forum . Old blue aspargus , lethal ,adam scott,kezza,. they were the good old days . Was about 2002 , there was a right blow up on fish I.D . Pure gold that thread was .
Good luck mattoo , and merry xmas .
Still waiting to here what Mattoo sticks in his lunchbox for the day out,lol
Me ,left over snags and saltn vinigar chips
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RH580ikanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 7:32am
RH580ikanui View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Bloody good read Matt. All the best for the season. Supermodel won’t be doing too many trips due to the current pay cut. Having said that the new pumps are fitted to the tubes, drags all set, hooks sharp engine serviced.
"IKANUI" RH580 SUZUKI DF140
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote otdrmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 12:36pm
otdrmn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sam BJ the 2nd is all tooled up and ready, enjoyed the reminders after a few quiet years .
15kg outfits for me this year should make things interesting (solo)
The 4 R's ~ Rods, Reels, Rifles, Rooting
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 1:04pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think I missed the lunch box thing!?

Supermodel,
Always a free ride on my toy for you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 5:19pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I should like to humbly thank those who took the time to proffer their opinions which were most welcome.

As for my lunchbox...
Still not sure, but in past years I always had a smorsgaboard. I love food.
Now it's a dismal rice cracker and undescript food.
But always stacks of water bottles.

I might add I keep a baked bean free boat as most of my mates seem to process them to fast. And the consequences are horrendous.
I love beans and never had that problem
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 8:57pm
the demon View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

mattoo ,always suggest no bake beans to crew ,its ends up like a thousand sparrows coming out ,and the last one tring to be first!!!!!!!Unhappy.

most important thing for me , coastguard all paid up !!!!
manukau bar crossing has a  watch on you .

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 5:13pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I thought as the season approaches with much anticipation from myself at least I would regurgitate this post.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 6:25pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

"When releasing your livie for certain doom consider your hook style and placement.
Is the position for stationery or while your trolling. Have you mastered the art of needle work and keeping your livie alive and in pristine condition before released to certain yum cha.
Keep the hook with the gape as clear as possible and in a direction that will actually hook up, forward."
Couple of Q's. 
How far clear do you guys run your hook from the fish? Mine is about 2-3" (new terminology that makes it 50-75mm). I missed a livie marlin hookup a couple of days ago. Gave it plenty of rope to hang itself, and the hook simply came free and I am guessing the marlin had a free feed. Bit disappointed for my mate's sake - we put a lot of hrs in for that fish.
2nd Q. I use circle hooks and the hook up has improved a lot since changing. I was beginning to believe they are infallible. At one point I was 100% strike rate.
But it occurs to me since this last failure, the hook will not be upright in the fish's gob. It will be lying/squashed flat. If it has the back of the shank to your rod side, it seems there is a good chance you can pull it out without a bite. I am wondering if this is what happened the other day. But at that rate it would be a 50% statistic and I have been doing better than that with them.
Any thoughts?
Regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 5:11pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Alan,
Q1.

I'm not concerned with the distance, clear gape yes.
I believe it's a matter for the angler to understand his rig and associate the required time after the hit or understanding the strike and knowing how to play the fish for a hook up dependant on ones guesstimate of what fish you've hooked and what the general hook and flight characteristics that fish may have.

Q2.

Basically as above.
If you offer a good rig set up and gain a strike/hit it's up to you to understand the tool you've used and how it is utilised for the hook up.
The percentages of these even when perfect are always modified by the so many variables other than the hook being in the wrong position.
There not in the wrong position if the fish has it in his gob, it's the anglers, skippers responsibility to do what is necessary to optimise the potential hook up.

I believe that's fishing.

Wether for sprats or pelagics, know what and how to catch a fish is the difference that separates anglers from fisherman.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 7:45pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thinking on it further I think there is another twist to the story. I spend a lot of time analysing what went wrong when things don't go to plan. Always something to learn. In this case I notice the circle hook is curved in a flat plane.It is not the hook I generally use, because I am not generally chasing marlin. It is a 12/0. I have some nice 10/0 slim profile circle hooks I like a lot. But can't find them in 12/0. So I was running this 12/0 for a marlin for my mate. When I think back my high %age strike rate has been on the 10/0. That hook is not on a flat plane. It has an offset in the curve. In that case it prob won't matter much which way it is pulled. I think I have worked it out. Need to find an off set 12/0, preferably slim profile. meantime, back to my 10/0.
Got a new cunning plan to try tomorrow. A new Ffish live bait rig. Stand by.
Regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 8:05pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Can you file it to the shape and profile you like Al?
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Page  <12345>