ARE YOU READY!?

Page  123 5>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ARE YOU READY!?
    Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 4:30pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

As the season draws closer and the anticipation of mega beasts ignites our passions for glassy seas, long sunburned hours of fuel burning torture begin. Our expectations of glory and bragging rites drives us to distraction until that first bait and lure are wetted and then the fever begins.

Everyone whose not a fisherman couldn't give a hoot.

But to satisfy our fishoholic imaginings of titanic battles with the tasty, the toothy and the downright pelagic beasts that will soon be preying on our local wildlife with fervour, ARE YOU READY!?

Yes we can hoof it, some of us are lucky, it seems to be that the more you know, the more you realise how much effort is required.

In that vein I ask you to proffer your experience and expertise to pass on to those who are beginners or those of us that just need a reminder cos the list is so long.
In basic form, we need the car, trailer, boat, gear and more gear and ****e well add some more gear, don't forget the bling and did you keep the instructions on how to use that tool.

All yours....
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 6:45am
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Scary sharp hooks.
Whatever hook or style of hook.

Something I learnt was they need to be scary sharp, it's taken me some time sharpening hooks to get close to scary sharp. They don't come off the shelf like that as I've learned.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 5:26pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Those wheel bearings will either make or break your trip.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 6:57pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Last years line needs removing.

Wether mono or braid the trolling length you use needs to be replaced.

Generally the first 20 - 50 metres.
Remove this section. It may have too much wear on the roller trollers or the clip points you use.

Your not replacing the whole spool just the weathered and potentially worn zone.

Gear failure is not an option.
Failure in equipment is poor management by a novice,
Lessons learned are painful.
Better you restrict them to unfortunate circumstances.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mangre 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2018 at 7:03pm
mangre 2 View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Lots to think about as a captain of your waka.  have a good season.
Beautiful is better than ugly, Explicit is better than implicit, Simple is better than complex, Complex is better than complicated.      http://oceanmobilemap.blogspot.co.nz/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 5:20pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

SSTs,
Not a must but....
This can be a very useful tool.
It's not just SSTs, its chlorophyll, temps, currents and sea heights.
All these factors are indicators to bait concentration, prospective and real time.

The ocean is a big place and we only hunt the coast of a small area.

You can burn fuel, catch a tan, have a feed and drinks.

But like any good fisherman putting yourself in the right place at the right time will improve your chances.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 5:37pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Crutch strap!!

Ya what, I expect some of you are thinking.

I'm talking lifejackets.

A recent upgrade for me via a Coastgaurd Information evening covered some fascinating info.
Based on some recent boating disasters where some parties survived. There info on there ordeal backed up data and guidelines currently used in many other countries.

The crux of the matter, bar one style of lifejacket generally worn by small boat sailors, sees most lifejackets when used presented a common problem.
They rode up so presented a problem for the user, they had to hold with one hand the lifejacket to stay down and they had only one hand to swim.
This has proven to be fatal, more often than you might think.

This is where the crutch strap is vital.
Many countries have lifejackets sold compulsorily with crutch straps.
Here they are not. Some brands do have them.
But there are crutch straps that can be retrofitted to most lifejackets available here.

Consider this as an uncomfortable but vital lifesaving addition to your current items.

If your a bar crosser, you should definetly have one.

They definetly don't fit the fashion accessories bling list.
But they can help save you and your family and your mates.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 8:02pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Drink lots of fluid - and I don't mean alcohol. I never take even a beer on my boat. Nothing against those who have a cold one on way home, but on my boat, nope. Dehydration is a big factor in a long day. Suncream - lots.I have 3 lots of nasty bits on my skin cut out in last 3 yrs.
Good attitude. A good day on the water is a good day whether the reel scrams or not.
I'm about to have my last day in Vtu for the season - 3 am start tomorrow. had a mate over for a week. On plane home today.
Will try and post some pics.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 8:33pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Alan L.

The Tuna Clock.

Have you ever used the tuna clock to fight tuna!.

Yes it's a real thing.
If you think of the dial of a clock being the circle, tuna and other species fight particularly in the last vertical stages of the fight in a dogged fashion.
However in that circle they do, there are times on that clock face when they hold down and other times when they relax.
So you can hold tension whin they dig and lift when they relax.
There is a sequence to work to, its from .... o'clock too .....o'clock.
I gave you the clock I'll let you seek the times on that dial.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 11:13am
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Check VHF, flares, EPIRB, service engine, service trailer.  - nearly there

New line, new lures, new hooks, new trace - not even half way there on this section.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 1:55pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Funnily enough we landed half a dozen Y/F in last couple of days - will try and post pics. And none circled. We just kept the boat running at a decent speed and hauled them alongside. Much easier gaffing.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 1:58pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I handlined a 50-60 kg Y/F on braid for an hr earlier this yr, after the light rod broke an hr into the fight. It was circling - but I pulled line in everytime it went from approx 9 o'clock to 3'oclock - in clockwise direction. Got 200m of line back and fish to boat this way - trace and gaff in hand, and the trace broke :-(.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 2:08pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 4:54pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Alan,
Life looks tough there.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 6:02pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Very. Had a last shot this morning - before packing boat away for 5-6 mths. Got a mahi and had a decent marlin on - both on a popper. 
They have big fish, warm weather  and cold beer here. What more can you ask for?
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 6:16pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

VHF,

What an important communication tool.
For safety, yarning with ya mates and listening to others catch fish.
Keep that tuned on your local channnel, some guy may be hailing you to give them some room while there fish is rampantly bounding away close to your waka and your mesmerised like a possum in the headlights watching this beautiful leaping Marlin. Meanwhile someone is telling the white boat for the umpteenth time to get the f out of it.
Keep your radio on.

In a safety format have you positioned your aerial as best it can be.
Line of site is the base formula.
If your in a sea state with high crests and low troughs you can see the disadvantage of an aerial mounted low.
So consider a higher mounting point and maybe a taller aerial.
I'll not get into the strength of the system of radios and aerials because I have no sound knowledge here.

Check your radio works before you go out, and do you know how to use it. I thought I did until I took a course.

Another hint I picked up about vhfs in a disaster scenario.

As the waves crashed inside the boat and swamped us grabbing the fixed radio never happened as were just washed out of the boat in the blink of an eye.
We were saved because someone had a hand held vhf on them.

I don't want to be in that situation, but something to learn from for sure.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 7:38pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

As mentioned, EPIRB very useful. However, I have seen some stored in weird places - like lockers. If it is a real emergency - it needs to be right there - not in a locker under some other junk. I have mine on the dash. Everyone can see it - I may overboard - others can grab it easy.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 9:21pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I keep all the essentials in a floating grab bag.  EPRIB, hand held vhf, flares, first aid kit, some food and water, torch, waterproof paper and pencil, coastguard membership card.  Always close at hand and I make sure everyone on board knows that if anything happens someone needs to grab it on the way out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 10:01pm
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Strip and service ya roller guides on ya rods...
The amount of times I've seen guys with mega expensive game combo's with a 1000m of top quality mono with a $100 lure hanging off the end and non of the rollers will turn ..
Tight lines
PE Pete
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 4:31pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It was like the crack of a lightening bolt, I heard the swish of the breeze go past my ear and then my face began to form that stunned mullet profile..... oh crap.

It's happened to me only once I hasten to ad, but many of us have been afflicted with this crappy gear failure.

This is a trailer boat hidden foible.
The winch rope, the hook, the gear.
Wire rope winches, cheap and cheerful and truly potentially dangerous.
Webbing straps or composite braided ropes are now available.
Either way, wire rusts and hardens on creases.
Braid and webbing abrade.

Check this item before you ground that boat with nothing but your wit and ingenuity being stretched to recover your beached whale.
Your now of course are the highlight of amusement and frustration of the other ramp users why you rectify this problem.

On the maintenance side for any of the cable formats, soak them in lanolin as an example before instal or reassembly.
Check the holding clamp on the drum.
Is the locating pin for the winch still there.
There were also some batches of poor quality S/S hooks on the market.
Put the chain on as you drive up the ramp or beach, leave it on until your boat is in the water.
Cos you don't wanna be that guy!
Page  123 5>