Gulf Harbour A--Holes

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gulf Harbour A--Holes
    Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 4:34pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12163008

Hibiscus Coast residents are devastated after a beloved kingfish was caught and killed by two men at Gulf Harbour Marina.

A post that has been shared on many Facebook community pages, including the Hibiscus Coast, explaining the "barbaric" slaying of the iconic 1.2m kingfish known as Murphy, which happened on Saturday November 17 at about 3.15pm.

Two men, said to be "European" were seen being dropped off from a boat at the commercial Z pier and then spearing the fish from the pier.

The post said the men were seen gutting and gilling Murphy near the Discovery ferry area.

Many residents have left comments on how angry they are about the death of Murphy.

"Oh no.. our son loves visiting and feeding 'his' fish and was so excited to see the "great big kingfish"... what ass****!!," one person said.

"What pathetic boys they are. Obviously not capable of catching anything in the wild. Those fish in the marina are so tame. They bring so much joy to families watching and feeding them! Hopefully these low-lifes are held to account for their actions," another said.

"These protected fish become great breeding stock as well as education for children and onlookers. Murphy may yet have his say with upset tummies when eating him! RIP Murphy!" an upset resident wrote.

Gulf Harbour Marina is a free viewing spot where thousands of families enjoying feeding the fish.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wanda_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 12:03am
Wanda_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So, the herald has let its aspiring  fishermen readers ,that were not already aware, that there are some very tame kingfish at the marina ripe for the taking ? 

Murphys law ?

If you think you are too small to make a difference,try sleeping with a mosquito in your tent.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 2:11pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Never heard of a tame Kingi. Signs should have gone up around the marina to explain Murphy - these guys might have just seen a opportunity without knowing the story.

Sad ending to a fish that delighted the community...
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 3:59pm
Big Manly Yaka View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Fishing is prohibited in the marina, plenty of signs about.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 4:56pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Big Manly Yaka Big Manly Yaka wrote:

Fishing is prohibited in the marina, plenty of signs about.

+1
Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 6:04pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Pair of idiots.

Does the signage specify spearing though because you could see how krunts like that would use it as an excuse.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote filthyoar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 6:09pm
filthyoar View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Do any marinas permit fishing in them???
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 4:30pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

With fishing being prohibited! Has any action been taken against these people? Are they identifiable?
If no action has been taken why not?

Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 1:05pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

From Facebook;

The following email was received this morning....

To the members of the Hibiscus Coast community and Gulf Harbor Marina,

It has recently been brought to my attention that you are seeking a person who has speared a Kingfish at Gulf Harbor Marina.

I wanted to share some words with you and ask that you understand how this event occurred. 
The extent of this event has only just become apparent to me through an acquaintance, as I do not use social media. So, this clearly needs to be addressed properly for all concerned.

After a day of fishing with friends I was dropped off at an unknown dock to be picked up, and the boat proceeded to head back to its berth at another marina. I'm not from the area and have never been to the Gulf Harbor Marina before.

Coming ashore from the ocean there was no apparent signage that indicated the Marina’s request for no fishing. After arriving on the dock from the sea, I spotted the kingfish and speared it, not realizing that it was a feeding ground.

I have fished my whole life, growing up as a New Zealander, and the ocean life has been a great part of my childhood memories. If I would have known that this is where people come to feed the fish and that the Marina requested no fishing, I would have in no way carried out the same actions.

This was not an act with malicious intent. The truth is, I am just a person who made a foolish mistake and I am sorry that my own ignorance caused upset to the community. Looking back now, I see how, in that moment, I made an uninformed decision and I regret that deeply.

I have always tried to live by the integrity of the ocean, and the marine life that sustains our ecology and nourishment. I am truly sorry to all the people this has affected, and I wish that it hadn't happened. This incident was an error in judgment and I sincerely apologize for any upset that this may have caused.

Respectfully, l will be more attentive when acting in the future to adhere to the requests of the Marina and the surrounding community. If you would like to speak further, I am happy to discuss with you. The public deserves a sincere apology and I hope that they can understand that mistakes happen.

Sincerely, 
<Name Withheld>

The Marina has decided to withhold this persons name. We thank the community for highlighting this issue and identifying the person concerned.
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 1:52pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hmmm ^^^ wonder how many lemonades he had first and now regrets his actions,hope he choked on it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 1:55pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fair enough- he sounds like one of us who respects the ocean and the communities along side it. Just a mistake. Sh#t happens.
He actually sounds a good bloke full of remorse.

I’m good..
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 2:17pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fair enough at the end of the day you could just anchor off the marina and berley them out right....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 3:09pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

impressed that the bloke owned up and explained his actions .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 4:09pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Reckon it would take a tonne of guts to write a letter such as that & even more so to have signed it.

Undoubtedly it was a very regrettable occurrence for which the writer appears to be genuinely remorseful however there has at least probably been a positive off shoot inasmuch as a lot of attention has been focussed on the event, which hopefully will lessen the likelihood of a repeat occurrence. 
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 4:17pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Herald said there were two of them. What about the other one. 

Or did herald get that bit wrong.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 5:03pm
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The other one was his mum,she wrote the letter lol
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wanda_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 8:53pm
Wanda_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Man who killed iconic kingfish 'Murphy' shares heartfelt apology letter

He approached a local MP to offer his apology.

If you think you are too small to make a difference,try sleeping with a mosquito in your tent.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barbary B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 11:16am
Barbary B View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

From Facebook;

I was dropped off at an unknown dock to be picked up, and the boat proceeded to head back to its berth at another marina. I'm not from the area and have never been to the Gulf Harbor Marina before.

Coming ashore from the ocean there was no apparent signage that indicated the Marina’s request for no fishing. 

Whatever - but what marina are you allowed to fish within? 
"Look ahead, look astern, look to weather, look to lea
Look down along the coast of High Barbary..."
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Weemandan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 12:33pm
Weemandan View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Good on him for writing a letter, had some time to make up a sincere story.... just happened to be dropped off at just the right place with a spear?.... was he out fishing with a hand spear from the boat for the day and was taking it home??
Maybe he didn’t know..... and just MAYBE all those coincidences are legit.....