Interested in Salmon fishing in Alaska

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Roland56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interested in Salmon fishing in Alaska
    Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 11:52pm
Roland56 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I have been fishing for Salmon on the Rakaia in March 2017 and in March 2018. No success in 2017, a sea run dark one in spawning mode we let go again and two landlocked ones in Lake Heron in 2018. That was all.

And a few salmon in the canals in Twizel. But only escapees.

So I am planning one more salmon fishing trip to Alaska in July 2018. Five weeks, June 30st to August 4th would be the idea. To catch salmon in Alaska is by far easier than in New Zealand since the numbers of salmon in the rivers are much higher. On a good day in the Kenai river there might be more than 50’000 Sockeys that cross the fish counter in Soldotna near the river mouth. They need one million (!) sockeye a year in that river to keep the population stable. And thousands of king salmon cross that counter as well.

We would fish for King salmon in the Klutina area, Sockeye (red salmon) in the Kenai and Klutina, pink salmon in Valdez (just for fun, they are not so good eaten).

Maybe Halibut and silver salmon on a charter in Homer (but that’s pretty expensive!). In some rivers there are greyling and Dolly warden to be caught on the flyrod.

Sometimes we had to pay attention to the bears. But they are not interested in the fishermen, only in the fish.

I had such a lot of good talks and discussions on the rivers and in campgrounds with Kiwi fishermen during my trips in NZ the last two years that I would gladly give something back. We are two persons on that Alaska trip. The 8 birth 31 food motorhome we might rent offers enough room for four persons. So if there is any keen salmon fishermen interested to go on a Alaska trip in July 2019 please get in touch with me.

You had to organize the flight from NZ to get to Anchorage. I will fly out from Switzerland since I stay in Switzerland during the Kiwi winter. And the we stay in a motorhome together for that period and share the cost. The cost in Alaska for that trip might be around 3000 NZ$ per person (motorhome, food, smoking of salmon, fishing licence…) plus the flight from NZ to Alaska. You can also bring your partner if she is really into fishing and not into shopping, and all weather prove!

So if there is anybody interested please get in touch with me. My mail is [email protected]. My phone 021 168 24 99. I am currently touring and fishing on the north island. Next week with the fly rod for kingfish on the flats in front of Ferguson park in Tauranga. From February to Mai then on the south island.

Roland

Fishing is not a matter of life and death, it is much more important.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 8:11am
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sockeye in the river behind the Soldotna campground with 'drag and snag'. 30 minutes to catch a limit of the best fresh water eating fish you will find. Reverse trolling the Kenai for big Kingsin the guided skiffs. Got one at 70lbs and dropped a bigger one in a snag. Released some 30's and 40's as well. I think the sizes are smaller now though.

Cross the Russian river on the 'current ferry' and try some true 'combat' fishing just to say that you have. Think the Togariro peak season on steroids x 2.

Awesome places to visit and fish. And the scenery is a life time memory.
We hired a float plane and dropped into a remote river so we could raft it for a week. Moose, bears, and 9 different fish species. Fishing on another planet.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote david236 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 8:36pm
david236 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Tongue Wow! Memorable event...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gulfgreyhound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 1:32am
gulfgreyhound View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

FWITW: Go to the visitors center in Soldatna and ask for Bill Farrell. He's a friend of mine and it will blow his mind to have a Kiwi  ask for him. He can and should give you some info on the fishing. Tell him Art Harris said to look him up. He's a great guy and may take you out with him.
The trouble with some people is that when their not drunk their sober. Yeates,