Bream Bay - Fishing only getting better

Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote grantdixon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bream Bay - Fishing only getting better
    Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 12:14pm
grantdixon View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Bream Bay is fishing exceptionally well at the moment for both snapper and kingfish.

The only blot on the landscape is the purse seiners who have been dealing to the bait schools in the greater Bream Bay/Hen and Chicken Islands region for weeks now. As a regular to the area, the damage that is being done to bait population is considerable. But don’t blame the big fishing companies, they are only doing what they are allowed to do under the Quota Management System – chasing the last dollar. The ones we need to direct our attention to is Fisheries NZ’s policy makers.

Last weekend conditions were perfect, even if the moon phases and bite times weren’t and when they came on there were some great snapper to be had.

Instead of following the pack fishing in close from Ruakaka down to the Waipu river mouth, wife Faith and I took the new project boat, a Billfish Buccaneer 735, out from Marsden Cove to some of the deeper foul (50m) off Bream Head. We only fished for a couple of hours and the bite, when it came on, was fast and furious. Faith was fishing baits – Top Catch pilchards and squid – and kicked my butt in both numbers and fish size. We kept six snapper to five-kilos, more than enough for our needs given we were heading out again Sunday.

This day I had brother-in-law Bob Ohlson with me along with mate Tony and his son Sami Orton. Leaving from Mangawhai we went to the 30m mark off Bream Tail – known locally as The Fingers’ – where we found the snapper in good numbers. The bigger fish were up off the bottom in spawning mode and we caught an even amount of male and females which bears this out.

Tony got the best fish at around 8kgs with the average being in that 2-3.5kg bracket.

I dropped my ‘fish of the day’ after the trace failed at the jig head. I use a Rapala knot, sometimes called a Lefties’ Loop – to create a loop attachment to the jig head. This does create some wear where the mono rubs against the hook eye and this is where I came unstuck.

The moral of the story is to re-tie your knots regularly, especially after fighting a decent fish.

Other anglers told me the fish have moved from close to the beach to around the 15-20 metres mark of Ruakaka-Urititi beaches.

The one thing that is not present in any big numbers yet are the gurnard. Normally a sucker for orange/gold inchiku or slider lures - especially when baited with a sliver of squid - I haven’t caught many so far this spring. Last year they were prolific in the 30-40 metre mark and a great size. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 1:23pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Can only agree about the quality of fishing, but don't tell everyone LOL

I've had some very short fishing trips lately, as in under an hour because the fishing has been so good! 

Shame about the purse seiners Cry
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 2:27pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Such a great looking snapper in the photo.

Apart from Blue Mackeral what else do the seiners target in bream bay.

If Pillies ,then what do they do with them all.

Depletion of baitfish has the ability to change fishing pattens that are familiar to us.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote Troutzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 3:06pm
Troutzilla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

[QUOTE=grantdixon]

The only blot on the landscape is the purse seiners who have been dealing to the bait schools in the greater Bream Bay/Hen and Chicken Islands region for weeks now. As a regular to the area, the damage that is being done to bait population is considerable. 

Faith was fishing baits – Top Catch pilchards and squid

Does anyone else see the irony in this??? Confused

It aint no use if it aint chartreuse!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 4:41pm
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I only fish with micro jigs now partly because I do see the irony in killing fish to catch fish.

Admittedly a big part of it for me is the pleasure in casting and working my lure and taking fish on light gear.

I find it sad that fishing shows promote chopping up kilos of fish to burly up when it's usually not necessary...

Its certainly snapper season with short trips the order of the day in doubtless bay as well.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 4:56pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice report, Grant. Looks like a mint day out on the water.

As Troutzilla and Garry have hinted at, I guess we can all look at ourselves if we're using locally sourced pillies. I like to support Salty Dog as it's creating jobs out of Hikurangi, which has been hit hard by various industry desertions over the years and would be a ghost town without Salty Dog. But the pillies have to come from somewhere, presumably including Bream Bay??

Re the knot failure - I had the same thing happen on a trip recently with my best fish of the day, and have now switched from Lefty's to Mustad Fastach with no discernible drop off in takes on the softbaits in the shallows. Added bonus is you don't keep shortening the leader (still re-tied after each trip, but not several times a trip).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 6:35am
Platinum
Platinum

Good Point Tamure kid. I have been using jiffy clips for a couple of years now and have found them excellent.

Not as safe looking as the Mustad Fastach (which I have yet to try) but an excellent option and I wouldn't go back to tying.

I can switch jigs in a second or two and I think the jig being attached to the metal loop has a very free movement in terms of creating action.

I have seen the clips get a bit open after lots of use and also I always check the line end to make sure the
loop in the metal is closed completely when I change them.

I bought a couple of packs of "catch" ones which I think are a bit average but years later I still have tons left and they last and last...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 10:32am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Have a look at the 10 mouth clips from Gofish super strong thin and small.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 10:44am
Titanium
Titanium

Good one.
The Mustad are excellent, I use the 0.1 size for soft baiting. They are a little bit tricky to use with slippery/cold fingers, but no failures so far.

I also have some Ten Mouth ones from GoFish which are good, as mentioned by Muppet. They that same ability to revolve to stop line twist. Again, they aren't as easy to open at sea as they look. But work well.

When I first started soft baiting I used Genie Clips (the genuine ones) but had a failure which I think has been mentioned by others, where the uni knot slipped through the loop you tie the leader to. Lost a stonker right at the boat through that happening. The last-second lunges and changes of direction are when it's most likely to happen. I went through the packet and found gaps in a few of the 'eyes' that 16lb fluoro can fit through. They can be closed with pliers, but now I prefer the ones which actually clip.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 12:00pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The Ten Mouth ones become a bit difficult when your hand skin is soft. A small pair of pliers helps but have never had a hook shook off.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 8:07pm
Platinum
Platinum

It's a small thing but I like the fact that when I travel distance or store my rod which lives on my boat I can take the lure off and the Genie clip easily clips on the hook keeper....

I will grab some of the ones you guys have mentioned and check them out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 10:38pm
Titanium
Titanium

Yip, there are always pros and cons Garry. With the Mustads or Ten Mouths I leave the jighead on until I get home (in the rod clip) or take it off and just wind the clip up until there's only a couple of inches of line off the rod tip.

Good call on the small pliers, Muppet. I'll try that. Being a soft office worker, my fingers struggle a bit with those clips when wet.Every now and then I'll get a jighead on the Ten Mouth easy as pie, and I think 'a ha, now I've got this thing sussed', then I can't get it to do the same thing again!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 5:19am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes agree jigheads are a bit more difficult.LOL

But there is none better for micro jigs etc. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 9:28am
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

I’ve been using the Mustad Fastach clips for quite a while now and they are excellent. Can be a bit tricky getting some jig heads off and on but once you get the knack of getting the angle and twist right it’s easy as. Makes changing weights and lures so quick and you’re not continually shortening your leader every time you do.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 2:26pm
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Grunta Grunta wrote:

I’ve been using the Mustad Fastach clips for quite a while now and they are excellent. Can be a bit tricky getting some jig heads off and on but once you get the knack of getting the angle and twist right it’s easy as. Makes changing weights and lures so quick and you’re not continually shortening your leader every time you do.

x2
You can never have enough fishing tackle