Snaps in the BOI

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote The cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Snaps in the BOI
    Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 11:55am
The cook View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Last 3 trips have done well, fish are in & hungry.
Last week we didn't get many but (8) but ranged from 45-72cm.

Today we were out early & back at the ramp before 11am with more fish than we needed.

Boats were all sitting off the Northern end of middle foul, we had a look but not much showing, motored off towards mita's foul where there was another flotilla. Half way there came across some patchy sign & tried a drop, bait didn't make it to the bottom.

Best went 75cm, 3 more around 60-65cm & all but 2 of the rest over 50cm.

Bait (fresh mackerel) out fished lure/sb 4:1 although the big guy was on a softy. Livey barley got sniffed, which surprised us. Left them hard on the bite

Have a bunch of photos but the picture function no longer works for me

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 8:44pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sounds like a great session! What does the bay fish like over Xmas/NY? My brother will be pesting around in his wind bludger and he’d be stoked to get his sons into some fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 9:03am
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yep been having the same fun around Mitas foul, but fishing the smaller pieces of foul away from it, and trying to avoid other boats. All on softies and good fish, anywhere from 35-45m deep.

Telecaster, the bay fishes allright over that period but gotta get away from the crowds, too many boats and the fish go off the bite real quick!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote waynorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 4:02pm
waynorth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

80cm/10.1kg from Saturday - same general area. Caught in 39m & came up embolised and bleeding unfortunately, so brought it home. It was the only female in a bin of good sized fish, caught on a 'poor' fishing day during the 'quiet' first couple of hours of the incoming tide. Go figure. Zman paddle tail caught the better fish, with bait producing the odd good one but plenty of small fish. While the fish are this deep & less likely to survive releasing, and there are good sized fish around, it's an ideal time for big baits/big hooks or artificials, which definitely catch less small fish.

Had to work a bit harder today, but softbaits produced a couple of nice fish in the 60's, & a good feed of nice pannies until the wind got up a bit. Good sign all through the area, so no need to hassle the charter boats Big smile
treat fish like fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 4:52pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That's a fatty. Great time to be fishing the BOI.Not excatly horrible down here in Aucks either
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 5:25pm
feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice fish, my kids did well yesterday in much the same area.

Cheers
The only bar to frequent is the Kawhia Bar
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 5:26pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah Tagit but it blows my fuel bill to smithereens leaving from Waitangi boat ramp!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 5:53pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Adam Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 2:02pm
Adam Scott View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Lolas got a bigger snapper than her brother now and joined the +20lb club
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 2:37pm
nzfishwhisperer View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Hopefully catching up with my mate Darren that lives in Kerikeri in couple weeks - we do a lot of livebaiting around there for Snaps and Kings.

I use to fish BOI's a hell of a lot when I was younger but now bypass it and head to Doubtless bay for my fishing trips - have some epic mems from there Big smile

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 12:43pm
The cook View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 12:45pm
The cook View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Interesting, can post images using chrome but not firefox.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gaff1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 12:31pm
gaff1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Was that Friday Cook ?
We got a good feed Friday evening too and threw back loads of nice nice fish
Went out last night to try dropping down some fresh maccies down for a big scrap but fish just weren’t biting like they have been recently
Tried soft baiting too and that got a few good sized ones that lived to fight another day
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gaff1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 12:39pm
gaff1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

A mate caught a little Puka on Middle Foul on Friday
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 12:44pm
The cook View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah Friday arvo, fishing was nuts.

Not surprised that Saturday was slower, always find the day of the full moon fishes well & then straight after its dead.

Funny we were talking about pup hapuka the other day & wondering if we would see any. Got them in the middle of the bay in the bait schools about three years ago & thought this year seamed similar
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 6:01pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Told and found that the pup puka were a sign that the larger schools of snaps were still not yet ready to come into bay. Waters still a bit cool down deeper but have never turned my nose up at a 5lb puka ever!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gaff1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 5:04pm
gaff1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Anyone been out ?
I hear they were biting well this morning on the middle ground
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote The cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2018 at 8:38am
The cook View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Fish still there, got to find them but when you do its all on.
Still around middle foul across to the front of Roberton, but we've been doing well out deeper heading towards the 9 pin.
Bait & jigs both working well, depends on the day as to what they like most.Best for the day last Friday went 77cm on a softbait.
Out last night, found the fish but the wind got up & drifting to quick. Still got a feed 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gaff1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2018 at 8:54am
gaff1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Good stuff mate
We got our annual work fishing comp tomorrow so hopefully we can find some fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote waynorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 5:59pm
waynorth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just back from working over the holiday break, so out yesterday for the first trip for a few weeks. Snapper are still there, but they have moved north a bit into the deeper water on and inside the Whale/9Pin foul. Pretty quiet until they came on the bite once the falling tide picked up, then no problem filling the bin. Quite a few females had undeveloped roe in them, so possibly starting a second spawn. Some on the bottom, some in mid water. Softies outfishing bait, and plenty of tail-biters - I even had a ZMan destroyed, & that doesn't happen very often. Might have been leatherjackets - we hooked a couple.

Good to see the police out there doing courtesy calls on all the boats - not hassling people just reminding them about the lifejacket rules & minimum sizes. 
treat fish like fish
Page  12>