Bareboat Launch Hire

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bareboat Launch Hire
    Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 7:52am
Nathan View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi All,

I would love to take the family out for a week on a launch. Buying one is beyond my scope at the moment, although there does seem to be a large number of them sitting on moorings, and for sale.

I see some online for rent, but asking $1000 per day. Just cant afford that cost.

There must be the opportunity to rent one off an owner; contribute to their cost of ownership. Has anyone done this? Any suggestions on the best way to go about it?

I am Auckland based.

Cheers
Nathan

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dagwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 8:01am
Dagwood View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

For money to exchange, the vessel would have to be under a MNZ approved MOSS (Maritime Operator Safety System).

I think most owners would baulk at the complexity and $$ involved for what would be little gain by comparison.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 8:10am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Have a chat To Tagit on the forums here.
 Sure he can sort something for you, and if not piont you into the right direction
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Don18025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 9:10am
Don18025 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nathan, Dagwood is correct.
The challenge of going through MNZ MOSS system plus the challenge of insuring the boat for the voyage......this is why it is so expensive.
I am a launch owner, and the extra cash would be great, but as soon as take money for the use of my launch I am breaking the law, unless under MOSS.
Years ago you could hire self drive yachts, trailer sailors and small launches - but the compliance issues have been a challenge.
But I did a quick Google search and this yacht is available from $390 per 24 hours (mid winter) up to $520 in summer - good deal it looks. https://www.deckedoutyachting.co.nz/listing/liberte-bareboat-charters-32ft-beneteau-oceanis-320
I suggest contacting Tagit, he may have a deal for you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 10:38am
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

How big is the family? Where do you want to go? I might be able to do something for you on a 32fter for a weeks trip. 

As the guys say, anything that isn'tin survey is illegal and will invalidate their insurance! Gets pretty risky at that point.

Bottomline is that anyone charging much less than $1000/day isn't making any money unless it is a really old boat. Even then it is a tight equation. On the other hand, if you owned a launch and had it sitting in a marina you can easily clock up $40k plus in real costs. Cost of money, depreciation, berth, insurance, maintenance - it adds up fast. So if you only used it say 25 days a year (which is actually quite a lot) it will cost you well over $1k per day. Just feels different because you aren't writing $100 cheques each time.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2018 at 10:20am
Nathan View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks for your replies.

That is a shame. Will have a look at that one Don.

Tagit - family is 2 adults and 3 kids 14/12/10

I know what you mean about launch costs. Cost of buying is not too bad, but when you start to go down the path of associated costs vs actual time to use it, it is a big luxury.

Cheers
Nathan
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2018 at 1:38pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Might be a dumb question, but what if I (hypothetically, I don't own a launch) were to sell you a small share in my launch for, say, $14000, and after you used it for a week you decided you hated it so sold the share back to me, taking a massive loss, for $7000?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2018 at 2:52pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If noting went wrong, no one would know. If someone died or was injured in an accident that got investigated, the owner could end up with a hefty fine or in jail. MNZ and the judge won't buy the fake deal unless it is really convincing.

Nathan - shoot me a PM with approx dates and where you want to go. I will check if I can help with a good deal and PM you back.