Whitianga Fishing Charter - More Photos Added

Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whitianga Fishing Charter - More Photos Added
    Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 10:00pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Saturday 10/11/18 6am to 3:30pm

Dad’s Army booked Epic for the day.  2 of us rocked up at Whitianga Wharf at 6am armed with Uncle’s sabikis, some squid and a bucket for the livies.  Fishing was pretty slow and after an hour we had only 15 in the bucket including a couple of spotties (rejected by Capt Chase).  We introduced ourselves when Epic arrived and Chase helped with berley and our catch rate went up immediately.  The rest of dad’s army arrived and manned the sabikis from Epic and pretty soon the livies were flying in.  Chase was looking after the livies, keeping them off the concrete, and ferrying them to the live bait tanks regularly.  The charter was from 7am, but we spent about another hour at the wharf.  We had very well stocked bait tanks, and fresh coffee from across the road, so all good when we left just after 8.

About 9 we started fishing, live baits only, 2 at a time, and we used the supplied gear, which was clean and worked well.  The first customer was a rat, and after a short tussle it was sharked.  We only got the head back.  Fishing was steady and all the guys caught kingies, 76 to 103cms, maybe up to around 14 Kgs.  There were some great arm-stretching tussles, but no-one complained when their turn came around.

The first one I hooked was only medium, but it gave me a good mauling before I got it to the boat.  3rd and forth kingies were about a metre, and both fought hard.  Around 10:30 it slowed and we went thru long periods of inactivity.  We moved spots and it picked up again immediately.  The wind moderated and the kingies kept on coming.

By this time we were catching and releasing, enjoying the kingies but starting to think of something else for the bin.  We moved spots again and targeted snapper from 50m down to 120m.  All we caught were 3 golden snapper for about an hour and a half's effort.

Chase gave us the scenic detour on the way back, stopping to feed some big snapper near Cathedral Cove.  He called the fish smoker guy who met us at the wharf.  Chase filleted our fish and looked after us well all day - top effort!

All of us loved the day and we vowed to do it again next year.  The smoked kingfish arrived in Auckland this evening.

Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 11:02pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great report, Geoff. Sounds like a fantastic day on the water with your mates. Even just legal kingies pull pretty hard, fish over a metre would be plenty to handle, and it must be amazing when a really big one comes long.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 6:55am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

👍Great report👍
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 11:13am
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Nice report Geoff and sounds like a fun day out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snapper14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2018 at 2:14pm
snapper14 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Good report. 

We are coming up for the Kings of Coromandel in a week or so and staying at Cooks. 

Any intel on if there are livies in the area other than at the wharf?

Cheers

If a man goes nowhere and theres no one there to see him, did he ever leave?

Munter - Outrageous Fortune.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2018 at 5:19pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Hi snapper 14

I asked the Epic skipper and he said out in the middle of Mercury Bay.

I would go about 3km north of Cooks Beach and work from there.  If you have a fish finder it will help.  It's possible he meant further out from there.  You know how it is when someone vaguely waves their hand - the direction is not that clear.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snapper14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 12:50pm
snapper14 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks a heap!! Appreciate the help and info.

Good luck to anyone else going up for the competition!
If a man goes nowhere and theres no one there to see him, did he ever leave?

Munter - Outrageous Fortune.