Tow Vehicle

Page  <123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mad Brian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2018 at 7:52am
Mad Brian View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Big -Dave Big -Dave wrote:

Just to throw something else in to the mix..a diesel ford territory, they run a 2.7 l v6 diesel, 170kw, and pretty economical too. I believe it is a jaguar sourced motor.
There is the Nissan path finder too. (Based on the ute)
If going euro, a mechanical warranty is a must..

As for the cruiser, perhaps a wee tweak on the turbo boost pressure and wind the injector pump up a bit, lots do it with surprising results.
I did it to my patrol, as well as a 3 inch exhaust, total change..blows up the Coromandel hills with 2 tonne plus on it.

Thanks Big Dave. I will have a look at the Territory is the Nissan Pathfinder the STX model?
Have heard of them tweaking the Turbo and Injector pump but to be honest my Cruiser has done 380k and it could lead to other problems might do it to a fresher motor apparently they chip them but if spending around the 30k mark I would prefer to get something stock standard that does the job.
I use to blast around in hotted up cars and bikes but ended up spending lots and had more repairs. Now 62 and just want a hassle free existence and to go fishing and fish some other areas a couple of laid back road trips.Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2018 at 7:58am
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Interesting observation there Raging Bull.
I may have just that problem, will be keen to check out when I get home.

As for tow vehicles I'm still using my 80 series cruiser to tow the 7.5 southern and she's a heavy unit.
Does I think ok.
But I have at times had ynot tow it with a late model ford ranger.
Holy cow, you don't even know it's on the back.
That is a great tow vehicle, drives like a car and tows very well indeed.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mad Brian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2018 at 7:59am
Mad Brian View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Stonefish Stonefish wrote:

I have a 2005 Land Rover Discovery 3 as my everyday vehicle and tow wagon, it tows my 6.7m Surtees like its not there. The electronic air suspension makes hitching easy as. Great car to drive day to day as well. But they do have a few reliability issues and I’ve had a few issues, wouldn’t consider owning one without mechanical breakdown insurance.

Thanks Stone Fish I have looked at the Discovery but did read in some reviews that there were a few reliability issues so have taken them of my list.
Funny enough I was looking at those mechanical insurance last night as a friend had mentioned them awful lot of things that they won't cover and small print would have to be careful I think. Consumer doesn't recommend them at all due to the exclusions and problems people have had getting payouts.Unhappy
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mad Brian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2018 at 8:13am
Mad Brian View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by feeder feeder wrote:

Mad Brian, is your trailer not braked, if so why not, no way should that weight push a cruiser or a prado around.
By the way, that model Colorado has 500 nm of torque and is best in class for towing.

Cheers

Thanks Feeder you are right 500nm for the auto I think the lesser is for the manual which is unusual.
No naughty me not braked went out yesterday to Hoskins trailers to see about getting mine re galvanised and brakes added early next year.
I probably over described it in the fact it pushes it around more you are aware that its there on the Prado with the Landcruiser you don't have any of that at all very solid on the road and due to weight and brakes on the Landcruiser confident it would pull up no problems as long as you not driving like a lunatic. When driving with Prado I just little more cautious good distances between other vehicles and never use to go to fast.
But yes should have brakes especially if towing with lighter tow vehicles I need to find out were you can get them weighed so I know exactly the weight I'm dealing with as am only making a educated guess at present as I figure most people do.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mad Brian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2018 at 8:23am
Mad Brian View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by MATTOO MATTOO wrote:

Interesting observation there Raging Bull.
I may have just that problem, will be keen to check out when I get home.

As for tow vehicles I'm still using my 80 series cruiser to tow the 7.5 southern and she's a heavy unit.
Does I think ok.
But I have at times had ynot tow it with a late model ford ranger.
Holy cow, you don't even know it's on the back.
That is a great tow vehicle, drives like a car and tows very well indeed.

Thanks MATTOO yes the Rangers do tow well from what I have seen.
But I'm fussy old bugger and don't want a ute for me I hate them others love them. I like all my rods and bits and pieces nice and safe inside locked up easy to put in and get out no knocks or bumps lock and leave.
Regarding the Rangers that is what started me down this path I looked at them and thought what makes them so good it boils down to KW power NM torque and gearing and of course 4x4 if retrieving from beach or difficult ramps. I need the 4x4 as the launching in Tairua by new Marina can be challenging at certain times when they dredged it there is now a lot of soft airreated sand watch a few tractor get stuck at times.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stonefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2018 at 10:22am
Stonefish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Mad Brian Mad Brian wrote:

Originally posted by Stonefish Stonefish wrote:

I have a 2005 Land Rover Discovery 3 as my everyday vehicle and tow wagon, it tows my 6.7m Surtees like its not there. The electronic air suspension makes hitching easy as. Great car to drive day to day as well. But they do have a few reliability issues and I’ve had a few issues, wouldn’t consider owning one without mechanical breakdown insurance.

Thanks Stone Fish I have looked at the Discovery but did read in some reviews that there were a few reliability issues so have taken them of my list.
Funny enough I was looking at those mechanical insurance last night as a friend had mentioned them awful lot of things that they won't cover and small print would have to be careful I think. Consumer doesn't recommend them at all due to the exclusions and problems people have had getting payouts.Unhappy

Yeah I was a bit dubious when signing up to it but it’s actually been a lifesaver. I’m with Autosure and haven’t been denied a claim, they can be a bit anal about the excess they charge though, sometimes charging 2 if there’s a couple of parts needing replacing.
But mine has paid for itself several times over, had to have it towed from Te kaha to Tauranga once as well, all paid for.
6.7m Surtees PureFisher - "Kraken"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mad Brian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2018 at 10:46am
Mad Brian View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Raging Bull Raging Bull wrote:

My old cruiser was similar to yours going over the hills to Tairua.

My transmission bloke noticed when he too it for a drive that it didn’t feel like it was reving properly.

He got it back to the shop and checked out the difference between the travel in the throttle when using the exalerater peddle and by hand.

Turns out the exalerater peddle wasn’t going down far enough so we bent that a bit and he adjusted the throttle and it was like driving a new truck.

Mine used to seem to take ages to change down gears when going up hill and wouldn’t kick down when ya put ya foot down to try and pass etc, it did after he fixed it.

Your cruiser should be more than capable of getting up those hills with a 5.5m tinny, I was towing a 3ton glass boat.

Other thing to check is the extra cooler, when I got mine it was fixed direct to the radiator, same bloke pulled it off and there was mud caked inbtween the two so there was no air flow. He fixed it to a bracket in front of the radiator and it worked a treat.

I had a prado before the 80 series cruiser and it was great too, I just felt the 3 ton boat was on the high side of its good health.

I now have a Ranger and it’s amazing, pulls like a school boy and drives like a car, apart from having the turning the circle of the titanic. But then I did go from a 25 year old cruiser to a new ranger so not a fair comparison really, I’m sure the new cruiser would be wicked, but I could only afford a new ranger or a 10 year old cruiser that had 200ks on it.

Thanks Raging Bull. Yes we have played around with cables and linkages and even a solenoid and yes big improvement but still a slug up that hill. I have taken a 1998 100 series with 180k $30,000 ouch for a drive big improvement but still a 4 speed transmission and until I get my boat behind it not sure of how much a improvement it would be up hills and still a 20 year old vehicle and with all chatter about Diesels polluting am also worried the Govt will put some sort of restrictions on older less efficient diesels.
My boat is a 5.8 Surtees hardtop with a lot of extra bits and pieces so a lot of windage and weight significantly heavier than the 5.5.
Yes I would probably go for a Ranger but a ute doesn't suit my particular needs.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phantom Menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2018 at 12:47pm
Phantom Menace View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I don't have a Touareg but a mate has.  He tows a FiGlass Warrior (over 6m - maybe 6.5m? ) with ease.  His is petrol though.

The air suspension makes hooking the trailer up easy.  He's got a very steep driveway so the full low range comes in handy for creeping down ... 

He wasn't looking at Touaregs but saw one at a dealers while looking at other vehicles and ended up with one.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mad Brian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2018 at 1:28pm
Mad Brian View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Phantom Menace Phantom Menace wrote:

I don't have a Touareg but a mate has.  He tows a FiGlass Warrior (over 6m - maybe 6.5m? ) with ease.  His is petrol though.

The air suspension makes hooking the trailer up easy.  He's got a very steep driveway so the full low range comes in handy for creeping down ... 

He wasn't looking at Touaregs but saw one at a dealers while looking at other vehicles and ended up with one.

Thanks Phantom Menace. I would only go with the diesel myself as cost of running the petrol one would drain my reserves. But yes the gearing in the Touareg is good there is a good review on them in Trader boat towing a big Rayglass that they accidentally backed over the edge of Omaha ramp and it didn't even hesitate pulling it back out over a reasonable drop off.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SpearPoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 10:08am
SpearPoint View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

What about an Izuzu MU-X?

The SUV version of the D-Max, that should do the job, be reliable and you should be able to pick up one a few years old in your budget.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 10:50am
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mad Brian,
That reason of storage is why I still have the cruiser.
Also I can sleep without folding myself up to do so.

If I could just get the driveabilty of the ranger with the outright tough nature of the cruiser at a 90 s price tag I'd be sweet.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mad Brian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 12:59pm
Mad Brian View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by MATTOO MATTOO wrote:

Mad Brian,
That reason of storage is why I still have the cruiser.
Also I can sleep without folding myself up to do so.

If I could just get the driveabilty of the ranger with the outright tough nature of the cruiser at a 90 s price tag I'd be sweet.

Yes MATTOO you are on to it thats exactly what I've been thinking.
I took a 98 100 series done 180k out the other day drove heaps better than my 80 series more like my old 96 Prado that had done 160k. The 100 series turbo/intercooled 150KW power 430NM torque but still 4 speed transmission.
But again you are looking at $30,000 for a 20 year old vehicle which is really hard for me to digest, when you can get a Touareg that 2015 done 150K and is exceptional to drive good weight on the road and exceptional build quality Im not going bush bashing. But I still haven't been able to confirm put that tow bar on the front yet which is going to be a decider for me.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mad Brian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 1:00pm
Mad Brian View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by SpearPoint SpearPoint wrote:

What about an Izuzu MU-X?

The SUV version of the D-Max, that should do the job, be reliable and you should be able to pick up one a few years old in your budget.

Thanks SpearPoint I will have a look and check out the specs.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 3:20pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Would like to add a comment into Raging Bulls solution to power down on his old landcruiser.

I tried it and found play in the cable.

Made that simple adjustment and boom, she kicks down easy now, what a difference and can't believe I didn't think of it myself.

Thanks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mad Brian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 3:45pm
Mad Brian View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

Glad you got something useful, if only to reinforce your gut feeling. No point getting a big Landcruiser fit to tackle the Northern Territory if it's not what you need for your circumstances. Fairly rudimentary vehicle, and perfect for some people.

You're right, some of the comments went from banter to unnecessarily nasty in that thread, you'd think they were on opposite sides of the Middle East solution - not tow vehicle opinions.

I have an early Hilux SR5 and it's great for my boating and family needs, which includes beach launching. But I only have a small ali runabout that you hardly feel like you're towing. Blasts up long hills. But while it rides well on the motorway etc, it's nobody's idea of a great cruising vehicle on winding roads. Nothing like what I imagine the vehicles you're talking about ride like.

The only thing I'd add is to get an opinion from a VW owner about the cost of parts, servicing etc. I've heard European can get expensive.

I found downloading relevant chapters of the Dog & Lemon guide was useful. Doesn't cost much, and they give a colourful opinion on vehicles which includes known common faults, issues.

Thanks Tamure Kid I have just joined the Dog and Lemon reviews.
Down loaded a couple of reports which were informative so have now moves away from Touareg based on comments made regarding reliability. Have asked them if they have any recommendations regarding tow wagon to help narrow my search down otherwise purchasing 20 - 30 reports on every different vehicle could be expensive.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 4:05pm
puff View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

A later 3l d4d Prado must be around the 30k mark, will be a different beast than your older Prado....
What I like is the Prado is always in 4wd and as you mentioned you can store all your gear inside.
Plus hi Lo ratio option....
Newer ones are 4wd discs as well....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mad Brian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 3:31pm
Mad Brian View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by puff puff wrote:

A later 3l d4d Prado must be around the 30k mark, will be a different beast than your older Prado....
What I like is the Prado is always in 4wd and as you mentioned you can store all your gear inside.
Plus hi Lo ratio option....
Newer ones are 4wd discs as well....

Thanks Puff yes am having another look at them theres a couple with 6 speed manuals. I go for a drive and see how they perform.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 10:05pm
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There is the Ford Everest 157 kw, towing 3,100 kg, 500 nm torque,10 speed box. But (there's always a but) it's over $80,000
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mad Brian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 7:52am
Mad Brian View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Mr Moritz Mr Moritz wrote:

There is the Ford Everest 157 kw, towing 3,100 kg, 500 nm torque,10 speed box. But (there's always a but) it's over $80,000

OuchCensored A bit out of my price bracket by about $50,000Cry
I will buy a lot ticket and keep fingers crossed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 8:49am
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mad Brian.. There is a 2016 Ford Everest on Trade Me. Done 85,254 km, They are asking $39,500
Page  <123>