Boat trailer tyre pressure

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat trailer tyre pressure
    Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 11:31am
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A manufacturers plate on my trailer says to inflate to 60PSI. I have previously used the same as a car at around 35psi.

I thought this cannot be true so did some googling and yes it is correct. Boat trailers need a lot of pressure.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote White snake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 11:34am
White snake View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi joker.i have a rayglass 2500.Be around 3t icl fuel and a bit of gear.i run mine at 50 psi.tows well
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote paw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 1:14pm
paw View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Have a look on the tyres , should have written on them the maximum pressure to inflate them to
sleeping is a symptom of caffeine deprivation
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 3:05pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Joker Joker wrote:

A manufacturers plate on my trailer says to inflate to 60PSI. I have previously used the same as a car at around 35psi.

I thought this cannot be true so did some googling and yes it is correct. Boat trailers need a lot of pressure.

When you and the boy come back to base with a bin full of big workup snaps and kingies,  you need that extra firmness in the tires!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Coochdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 4:42pm
Coochdog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

What paw said check your tyres rating first.
Most (maybe not all?) boat trailers run 8ply LT- Light truck tyres so can handle alot more juice.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 4:56pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A tyre has a qweight rating also. This rate rating is at the max tyre pressure..
 As the pressure drops so does the weight rating...

I have previously used the same as a car at around 35psi.

Trailers SHOULD have higheer rated ciommercial vechile type tyres.. hence the higher pressure weight rating than Std radial car tyres
 Trailers/ van tyres are very different to 'car ' tyres.
 you can run commercial tyre on a car but not the other way around...

A manufacturers plate on my trailer says to inflate to 60PSI. 

We are assuming that the default tyres that the trailer manufacturer specifies are still the type on the trailer..
 IE never has a tyre blow out, wear out and been replaced..

Which is were this post applies

Have a look on the tyres , should have written on them the maximum pressure to inflate them to

My duel axle runs at about 50lbs.. uit tows well at 40 and up.. below that due to weight and flex on the walls they warm up, but still tows well.
Also of note, the tyre rating /I have at full pressure, I can blow out 2 tyres, one each side and still have the weight of the trailer / boat withing the tyre rating.
 If it is a front tyre blown.. that needs to be removed as when it eventually shreds, the wire will cause the tyre behind it to puncture.
 If a rear tyre, then needs to be removed as debris can be a hazard to following vehicles as it flys off.

The balance of weight between the 2 axles needs a little more on the front wheels, and square or slight toe in, to enable good tracking behind the vechile... A combination of load position and axle positions.
 The rear needs a slight square toe out.. this is so you have steering on the rear axles to enable good reversing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coochdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 5:48pm
Coochdog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I have a triple axle trailer if the middle tyre blows out do i have to remove it?or just keep the pedal to the metal...

Sorry Steps couldnt resist,im just being a prick!? To tell you the truth
im a single axle type of guy.

You do have a weatlh of knowledge that is apreciated.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 6:30pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You do have a weatlh of knowledge that is apreciated.
 Some of it is because I have screwed up and need to find out why..
 Then as one gets older, one gets sick of screw ups, fixing screw ups and finally finally  learns to read instructions and/ or ask questions , talk to people who actually know what they are doing AND why..
 And how do you know if the person you are talking to actually knows?
 'professional?, got a lot of letters leters their name?
 Nope.
 Do a little research, and while asking question throw in a couple that you know the answers....
 And chat to that 'grumpy' old craftsman...and listen.
 They are not grumpy.. they like top pass on their craft secrets...but because they actually do know their stuff.. do not tell them how someone else does it or says...they know they know their stuff.. and thats when they get grumpy and close up.

PS my trailer hooks right  just enough to be a pain in the butt when reversing and no boat on. One side is square  and the other has a slight toe...
And thats how I found out about the trailer alignment, distance from hitch to center trailer axle and between wheel ratios... then combine that with distance from hitch to vehicle rear axle (the later from others posts here)Thumbs Up..  

Balance on trailer.. I wanted to tow at any speed , up hill down hill, around cnrs and never have any worry.. which also incudes downward weight on hitch.

The new ssangyong towed the boat like crap...the big horn perfect...knowing the stuff, using bathroom scales, measuring ball heights, taking into account the different rear spring rates I was able to determine the ssangyong hitch needed to be raised 42mm.
 And the funny thing.. when consulting the 'professional experts' and told them because the hitch was low the weight on the hitch was far too light.. they could not figure that one out... from around 75/80kg to 12 kg..
Was only able to raise 36mm.. has a very slight sway around 98km/hr going downhill  a long straight on a wavey country road.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 7:29pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

"Steps". has a very slight sway around 98km/hr going downhill  a long straight on a wavey country road.

Hmm  wonder why the speed limit is 90??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 7:31am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

And you have never broken any law in your life, even for just  few seconds right?
 The perfect goody goody..
 Any other piont to the post other than to troll?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 10:41pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Back to tyre pressure
I'm naughty and run car tyres, reasonable quality ones, habent had a blow out for years, (touch wood)
Yes, my boat weigh 2t, but so does a falcon full of people..
As for pressure, I run at 40, it uses less fuel than at 30.
I Will, upgrade to commercial tyres next year when I build a new trailer.

Tow bar weight...
It is an issue..I fitted oscillating suspension to my trailer, it immediately towed better.
The tow hitch height doesn't matter so much
The large 4x4s, tend to have a shorter tow ball to back axle length than utes. This makes for more stability when towing.
I discovered this while towing my boat with an amarok.
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2018 at 8:54am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The tow hitch height doesn't matter so much 

Under normal setups
None or too little weight on the hitch will made the trailer push and sway/ jackknife with little warning.
 on a duel axle trailer, if weight setup for a given weight, then a different vehicle/ height, say lower, or even softer rear suspension on the vehicle then weight decreases dramatically over even a couple cms..
ie .. wind the jockey wheel up and the hitch doesn't go to the ground.. the weight is pivoted on the front axles.. nil weight on hitch.. you can change rear wheel without a jack.
 PS you can also change wheel just using the jockey wheel.Wink
But the new tie made not be able to be fully inflated.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2018 at 9:32am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Me - single axle - 2 tonne boat - commercial tyres at 45-49 PSI.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb