Tips for first trip out?

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ecko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tips for first trip out?
    Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 12:50pm
Ecko View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi everyone

Me and a mate bought a 5.3m fibreglass last week and are yet to get out on it.

Sunday is looking like the goods so we are hoping to launch at Gulf Harbour (as it seems a safe ramp for newbies to launch at).

We've both got boating experience and fishing experience however haven't owned our own boat before (always parents) and haven't been out for quite awhile except for on charters.

We have no Spot X's or local knowledge so if anyone has any general tips or specific tips to the area that would be highly appreciated!

We are planning on drift fishing softbaits.

Cheers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote miahd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 1:18pm
miahd View Drop Down
Content Manager
Content Manager

Reports into the NZFN office indicate there's been some good action just east of Tiri, between the island and the start of the cable zone (be careful where you drop your lines!)

Another good spot to try is to drift in 26m to 21m, parallel to the bottom end of Kawau - just cruise along on long drifts, try some different soft-baits and slow jigs to see what's working on the day.

I like to use CMap Embark to plan where I'm going to go before I head out - it's free and super simple to use. Here's the Kawau area pinned on the map.
Editor @ NZ Fishing News Magazine.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote miahd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 1:35pm
miahd View Drop Down
Content Manager
Content Manager

Also, as a reasonably fresh skipper (I too am used to going out with other skippers, despite having spent years on the water), my biggest thing when going out was to make sure I wrote myself a checklist on my phone of all the things that others would usually do so I didn't forget them until they just become second nature.

Double check everything and take your time getting down the ramp if you're not used to it.

It took me a good couple of tries to get my boat/trailer exactly where I wanted it when I was launching/retrieving. The biggest thing I learned was to trust that my trailer was moving as a turned the car down the ramp, rather than waiting to see that it had moved (like I was actually doing) and ended up fishtailing my way down to the water LOL

I might be telling ya how to suck eggs, but if not, then there ya go :)

Editor @ NZ Fishing News Magazine.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ecko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 2:10pm
Ecko View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks Miahd that's hugely helpful!
Any and all advice appreciated. We will give that a shot!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 2:18pm
the demon View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

10-12 meters between shag and tiri , limit last week .All the other boats were out wide 40 meter mark . Down load navionics on your blower , zero  in around tiri and heaps of marks for you to try . Good luck
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote White snake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 2:34pm
White snake View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Also maybe consider going for a couple of test launches when the ramp is quiet so you know your system works.We have all been new to this game at some stage and some people forget the mistakes they made through trial and error.Nothing worse than being the guys in the line of boats holding up the process with an audience watching.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ecko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 3:07pm
Ecko View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by the demon the demon wrote:

10-12 meters between shag and tiri , limit last week .All the other boats were out wide 40 meter mark . Down load navionics on your blower , zero  in around tiri and heaps of marks for you to try . Good luck

Navionics on my blower? This has gone right over the top of the head!

Thanks Demon, we will definitely bear those tips in mind. Much appreciated!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 3:15pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You can download the Navionics charting software onto your Android or Apple phone. Useful if you don't have a chartplotter or want to look at charts at home etc.
Assuming that you have a fishfinder, use it! This time of year in the area you are going to the fish are starting to concentrate a bit so drive around until you see fish sign and then fish there. There are plenty of fish in that wider area to find.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bigred1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 4:28pm
bigred1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The navionics app on my phone (use an iPad for big screen) and an old fish finder is all I ever use now (and 1/2 the time I don’t even use the sounder). Well worth getting. Borrow a longline and throw that out so you get something to come with, nothing more depressing than coming home empty handed for weeks on end while you learn. The app tracks where you go so you can find it again if you go for a look about.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 4:44pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Right now, if you use the fishfinder, and are patient enough to only fish once you find fish, you should have a good day every day. If you stop where the fish might not be you can waste most of your day fishing for nothing, or you might get lucky. This is one of the best times of year to be fishing. Take a sabiki and grab a Jack Mac to put down near the bottom as a livie. Kingfish often hang with the Snapper schools around now.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 6:21pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Navionic for sure on you cell
 looks like this with much more
http://webapp.navionics.com/?ticket=ST-1493511625rNKBQNGYg0-pXbHduqG#boating@10&key=l%7Bn%7DEqdhj%60%40

Also throw in a spare battery/ or jumper battery
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 6:33pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

As its the first trip I would suggest fishing comes second and launching/retrieving/getting out and back safely if the priority.  It will take a while to get used to what you need to do.  Might be worth going somewhere like Westhaven at a quietish time to launch, retireive, laucnh, retrieve etc.

make a list is a good idea. Make sure the bungs are in.  Wear the lifejackets etc etc.

Re the fish, I dont go up gulf harbour way, but there are generally plenty around.  Use a drogue.  Drag a curly-tail on a worm hook: new penny or motor oil.  That normally outfishes worked SPs!

Enjoy!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ecko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 7:11pm
Ecko View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks everyone.

We are taking the boat to get a new house battery/dual battery setup installed Saturday as a precaution. Going and buying new lifejackets tomorrow.
Have just downloaded the Navionics app and looks the business.

We are well armed with SPs, kabura, sabiki and heavy tackle to livebait the Kings. Here's to hoping!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 8:15pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Take some time to find the fish on your sounder. Once you've found them, it's often (but not always!) a matter of simply dropping a slow jig and catching them. Your kaburas are a good choice, probably the easiest to fish. Stick with it if you don't catch. 95% of my fish fall to slow jigs and we are never hungry for fish! 

Drift speed is important. I've lost count of the number of times I've been out with friends who allow their boats to drift too fast, have no idea where their jigs/softies are in relation to the sea bed, and then claim that lure fishing doesn't work. You need a sea anchor in all but the calmest of conditions, and one that is big enough for your boat.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 8:19pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm less than a year into my boat owning life and I echo what others have said - Gulf Harbour on Sunday morning, with 8s on the ratings and reports of fishing going off out from Tiri - may not be the place to go for your first outing!!

There will be a queue from well before first light, and probably real pressure coming back to haul out.

Ditto re the checklist. There's a good one in Mike Rendle's book on boating in NZ. I adapted that with tips from other experienced boating friends, typed it up and had it laminated. I go over it the night before, and then it goes in the boat with me every time.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 8:52pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Relax don't worry about the queues, fish will bite all day and very often better in the arvo in spring.

Just don't do anything silly like getting too close to kayakers. LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ecko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 10:37pm
Ecko View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hello TK
Do you have any suggestions on a quieter ramp for a first trip out? I'm open to suggestions. Not overly keen to be under the pump from other fishos unnecessarily!

Would you be happy to share your list? I can PM you and email address

Thanks

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

I'm less than a year into my boat owning life and I echo what others have said - Gulf Harbour on Sunday morning, with 8s on the ratings and reports of fishing going off out from Tiri - may not be the place to go for your first outing!!

There will be a queue from well before first light, and probably real pressure coming back to haul out.

Ditto re the checklist. There's a good one in Mike Rendle's book on boating in NZ. I adapted that with tips from other experienced boating friends, typed it up and had it laminated. I go over it the night before, and then it goes in the boat with me every time.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 7:36am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Worried about backing up?
I echo the words of my father.. how to.. unfortunately he died a couple yrs later before actually showing me. So my 1st attempt was th 16' caravan into a narrow space once got to the camping ground.
1/ take it slow
2/ When stats to go wrong, do not keep going back HOPING u will get it straight again... pull forward a little..and aslightly more than you think
 2/ is where people waste a lot of time, trying to 'fix' something that cant be..

Cant find a ramp...a no exit street and a driveway.

Some trailers reverse straight, do what you want, others will hook one way or the other, espec with no load on.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ecko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 8:26am
Ecko View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I'm a confident trailer driver having been driving horse floats for the last couple of years! But still there's always that first time out pressure.

Does anyone have suggestions for a quiet all tide ramp to launch in the Greater Auckland region
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ecko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 8:29am
Ecko View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Regardless though steps thanks for your words of advice. I will certainly put it in the memory banks!
Page  12>