Horizontal fly rod storage

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crochet Cast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Horizontal fly rod storage
    Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 6:45pm
Crochet Cast View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

In the process of purchasing a new alli boat. The boat is a 16ft centre console. I am keen for under gunwale rod storage however Long Fly Rods might be an issue. How do you guys store rigged rods on the water? Thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shilo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 8:13pm
Shilo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

If the design of the boat won't allow you to lay the rods full length, split the rod into 2 piece whilst fully rigged and wind up the loose line so the pieces are side by side. So long as you are careful not to have loose line laying around, it is a quick process to strip a length of line off the reel, join the rod and start casting.  

I have an old 14" ramco converted into a centre console and simply lay the rods fully made up along the sides.  To avoid any rod damage I lined the sides and the area they lay on (seats) with closed cell foam.  Works well for me but every boat is different.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crochet Cast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 8:07am
Crochet Cast View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks Shilo. I was thinking of bending some pvc to fit into the bow section to take the rod tips. How do you think the rods would travel with a slight bend in the last couple of feet of the tip section?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shilo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 8:36am
Shilo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I don't think a slight bend would be a problem.  More important is to have the inside of the pvc tube and where ever the blank touches the boat padded.  This will avoid any nicks or bruises from vibrations when travelling.   The closed cell foam I use is just cheap backpacking mattress from the warehouse, but thinner stuff can be found (yogi mat etc).

Be careful of the rings & tip when poking the rod into the pipe. You could always flare the end out (heatgun on the pvc and something to create the flare poked in) to make it easy to pop the rod in and avoid catching the rings.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shilo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 8:47am
Shilo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

This is all I do.  Not ideal as have to be careful getting into the boat but it works & surprisingly rod doesn't bounce around in the rough.

Just about to launch, the day is just too good not to cruise the shallows of the harbour with a 6wt and do some dirty bait fishing as backup. Big smile

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 9:58am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

It is an interesting problem CC. I have battled with it for years. Mostly I had them standing up resting against the rod holder while underway, but then would stow them flat every time we stopped to fish. Always a hassle.

My last thinking in the Zego was to create a 30 degree rocket launcher rod holder with the fly rods lined up side by side with solid rod support across the corks and again at mid-level. This allowed the tips to bounce around well away from any boat structures, but kept them low enough not to get in the way during casting. They were easy to grab and easy to put back. A bungie across the front of the corks added extra security while underway.

The only trouble is that this fly rod 'rack' completely took out one side of the boat.

It is a tricky problem with fly rods.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 5:35pm
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yea about the only real solution iv seen is to buy one of the US made flats boats that have built in rod lockers.  There the bomb but not cheap hey  

In the past iv used the Berkley horizontal racks mounted under the gunnels.  Ones like these. http://www.berkley-fishing.com/berkley-tools-and-equipment-rod-management-berkley-fishingear/berkley-twist-lock-horizontal-rod-rack/1285941.html

Sounds like your boat maybe a little short though?  Id be cautious of having tubes you slide the tips into.  I just think it could mean a snapped tip a little too easily. 

If you do store the rods under the gunnels, then make sure you make up a piece of canvas that is screwed to the underside of the gunnel and lays over the rods once in the rack.  Otherwise you will find that flyline wraps onto the rods and reels mid fishing and can be a real pain in the ass. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 5:49pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

How about making 2 saddles[timber, Nylon whatever] with each[or just 1] saddle having a clasp made from 6mm stretch cord,cable ties and a Carabiner.[hard to explain!]

that's what ive got on my skiff, works mean, can leave flyline unfurled ready to go, when a kings spotted ya just reach down unclip carabiner, pick up rod and cast!

I can post a photo if ya like the idea.
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 8:25pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yeah, Adam - I think I need a photo for that one Smile Sounds interesting!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 9:13pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Interesting thread.

I've been thinking about this for my 8" soft bait rods in my FC465. It has rod holders on the sides below the gunnels (hard cell foam ones that the rods clip into using velcro straps). Fine for setting out in the morning, but a hassle when you've started fishing and just moving to another spot, starting a drift again etc.

And I don't want to have a rocket launcher across the stern bait station etc, or place rods in the rod holders built into the gunnels (reels exposed to spray at times, rods bounce around).

So the concept i came up with sounds similar to FishMan's. It was to have a couple of lined rod holders mounted on the upper side of a flat piece of wood that's attached via a bracket to the metal pole the passenger swivel seat sits on - about 30cm from the deck.
The design in my head is that the rod holders/flat wood are on a hinge and can move from the horizontal to the vertical plane. Horizontal facing the stern when underway and rods stowed, vertical at rest or when not in use.

With fly rods, you could have them in a carved cradle, lined with foam and maybe some velcro straps over the top to stop them moving.

I know people with centre consoles who have rod holders mounted vertically behind the bow, either side of the dry storage area. Reels below the spray level, rods pointing to the sky. Seems to work, but obviously an issue if you want to cast from that area - rods in the way.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 10:18am
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yea good call Adam, I know the kind you mean.  I was going to make up one of those for our clubs boat (4.2m ali) from a cutting board from the warehouse

Problem was that when I went and looked at them, I figured it was a bit thin.  I'm sure there will be a hospitality place in Auckland that stocks thinker ones that are more suitable. 

This is the kind of thing that Adam means.   If you make them up like this, you can push the rod into the hook and the bungee holds it.  Just make sure you use light bungee for the rod tip end and stronger stuff for the butt end. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote igfafly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 11:54am
igfafly View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Talk about good timing - these just got delivered yesterday for my fly rods. Will be mounted under the gunwale forward of the console. Nicely made and should make a world of difference to our fishing.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 5:26pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice link IG!, there products are sweet and well priced,

mines a lot smaller and simpler that I custom made.
Im running a pretty small craft so have to be clever, the most important part to me is the quick release and ready to go,

give me a minute and ill do a photo shoot and post!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 5:53pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I chucked in a shot of we bycatch igot the other day!
such a photogenic fishLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 8:08pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

ClapClap Definitely not by-catch!

Good work on the rod holder too, but I bet the cleat gets sworn at a lot Smile 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shilo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 8:47pm
Shilo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Another option for those with only 1 or 2 rods or not much room are the Quick Fist fasteners.  I use them on the roll cage of my side x side for beach fishing, fast to release and being rubber doesn't damage the blanks.  For the narrow fly rod blank I have glued a strip of foam on the inside to hold it a bit more tightly, but probably not needed on a boat.  

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 8:11am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Love all the clever ways guys are solving problems.  Nice carrot FBF!!!
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 4:53pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cher,
pity they don't grow very big or fight muchTongue,frigging cool tho.

like that product Shilo, best one yet I rekon.

Craig, ,Na that cleats not been a problem YET, far enough forward to be out the way,
I have it for my drogue ty off.