Raymarine Dragonfly Pro?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Raymarine Dragonfly Pro?
    Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 1:27pm
Bigeye View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Can anyone tell me how the Raymarine Dragonfly Pro performs in the saltwater? And how well it shows up fish?

Lots of reviews from the US in the freshwater, but cant find much info of it been tested in NZ conditions.

Looks like a good value for money unit. Will be putting it in our 4.6m Ali boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 1:46pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I use the 7 inch Dragonfly Pro - brilliant fish finding chirp performance. Check out some screen shots.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 3:37pm
Bigeye View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Cheers mate. Just what I was after. What fish where those? Quite a school there.

Also how does it go when boat is going at speed? Say around 20knots?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 4:45pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Kahawaii mostly mate in all 3 shots - the middle one you can see the anchovies or bait in top third of picture.
To be honest im not looking for fish at 20 knots - 90% sounders cant do that .Normally get a reasonable bottom reading and can tell any rises etc pretty easily - but when very rough can lose bottom.
When jigging in lakes - van easily see sinker and the 3 trout flies 2om down!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 2:58pm
Bigeye View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yeah as long as it can hold the bottom when motoring I'll be happy
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 4:51pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The only problem with Redfinger's finder is the 'guarantee you'll hook that fish' button sometimes goes on the blink. Tongue

But it certainly has great clarity, from personal experience in his boat, and he's seen plenty of finders through Fish City.
I went with a Garmin, but that was partly because of the height the Raymarine sits when mounted on the boat dash, which meant it would be exposed to spray in my little runabout.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JeffKelly73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 7:15am
JeffKelly73 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I have the dragonfly pro 7 with a CPT downvision sonar. Excellent fishfinder, you can't go wrong - I only use in saltwater.

Take a look at the Axiom. A bit more than I can afford at the moment, but looks amazing: https://citimarinestore.com/en/78-raymarine-mfd-chartplotters-gps
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 10:41am
Bigeye View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

The Axiom looks like nice units, but don't think I need all the features they come with like 3D sonar etc. Would maybe look at them if there 2D sonar was far superior to the Dragonfly.

Mainly just looking for good chirp sonar performance in shallow water.   
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 4:19pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yesterdays shot while at anchor with berley pot at 19m. Fish above and below it.