Taking gear on the plane - anyone lately ?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote advtracing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taking gear on the plane - anyone lately ?
    Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 1:09pm
advtracing View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

looking ahead at what needs to go in the checked baggage and what in the carry on for a island trip . i would like to carry on my stella reels as they cost a crap load,  but are they look at as a possible dangerous items ? 

good to know in advance so i can pack a few more poppers and jigs in the big bag Clap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ET487 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 1:34pm
ET487 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I have never carried my reels as carry on and i never had anything broken or stolen in the past 10 years. Not sure who you flying with but i went on Air NZ and had to buy an extra piece for my rods. So now i use 100mm pvc pipe with 2 rods and all my small stuff inside that pipe as it can be 23 kg. Poppers, stick baits and jigs also into the pipe. Just wrap in cloth or whatever. You can put alot of gear into a 100 mm pipe if want.
Just the way i do it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 1:56pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not recently, but I've had fishing line stripped from a reel in Aussie. Could be used to garrotte someone, or tie them up apparently. Heard about the same happening to others. They were letting people through with guitars/guitar strings though Angry
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 2:35pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

It can be a bit hit and miss from what I've heard. Certainly hooks or anything with hooks attached are a no no. LIne can also be a problem so to be sure it would be best to remove the spools and place them with the non carry on luggage.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote advtracing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 5:50pm
Silver
Silver

Cheers guys , good point on the line issue.
I will keep the bodies in the carry on and spools in the check in.
Hell of a bag full so far with 30 plus jigs and 20 top water poppers ...might be skint of clothes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 9:53pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Also ensure your tube length is within the length restriction for the airline before it becomes oversized as it varies per airline and destination e.g. Air NZ 1.8 m length for domestic and 2m for international
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote advtracing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 7:52am
Silver
Silver

double checking that , air Vanuatu , rod tube is 2.2m 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Polar_Kiwis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 8:59am
Polar_Kiwis View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have taken plenty or reels and small hooks and small jigs in cabin. Never been hassled about fishing line. Tell them its no different than shorts drawstring. Aussie didn't like my big poppers with hooks. I believe 6cm is the blade size but countries vary. I had to tell them hooks were smaller than 6cm.
Small braid scissors are fine in carry-on

Suggest rod tubes and get a light weight long bag. My son has one for windsurfing rigs and masts made by neil pryde. It has straps so once all gear inside you zip up and tighten all the straps. Works well.  We could then put all the rods and some clothing in it.

You can take 7kg onboard with a small laptop/man bag or handbag. Cram as much clothing into these.

Wife and I managed to bring home three new low mount rods. as well as all the gear we had taken to aussie. EG. 3 travel rods, 5 reels of various sizes, stickbaits, poppers, aji gear and some rock, surf gear. I put my reels in a pelican box and checked in inside a macpac back pack.

All within the one bag each 20-23 kg limit.

Enjoy your trip. 

Here fishy, fishy fishy.... Nom, nom, nom
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Metal Float Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 10:53am
Metal Float View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yep - reels on the plane (no issues 4-6x a yr) and rods in different lengthens of PVC to save weight and for transport. SWF rod carry-on. Tackle in the checked in - wouldn't one of those nice pretty nomad lures taken from me. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 5:00pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Also no problems with reels in hand luggage or rods in carry case in hold.
Once had an issue in the states with rod tube unit as my lock they had no key for. I had to open for them.
And if you didn't pick up on that, they have there own extensive range of master keys at most customs points so they can investigate without detriment to the luggage container.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 12:23pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

We had an issue with a reel in a carry on bag recently on the way back from Tonga. No problem on the way up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Metal Float Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 2:22pm
Metal Float View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Grunta - did they just question, question and verify it was okay, or restrict you taking it?