Yamaha Ring Free

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raging Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yamaha Ring Free
    Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 8:25am
Raging Bull View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt
Big Sexy

I have 2007 225 Honda, done 1200hrs.

Ive just done a 1200hr service and am thinking of shock treating it with Yamaha Ring Free as well.

I’ve never used it before and the instructions don’t say how much to use for a shock treatment.

Can anyone who’s used it let me know how much you used and what process you used to do it?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 9:34am
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There is a heap of threads about shock treatments with Seafoam and Ring Free  on thehulltruth Bull. Never done one myself but probably not a bad idea.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raging Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 11:22am
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt
Big Sexy

So many I don’t know which way to do it!

Some talk about doing it under 2500 rpm, different amounts of fuel and ratios of fuel to ring free, different amounts for different engines and some start talking about ring free and then morph in to sea foam.

I’m thinking of tipping a bottle of ring free into a tote and driving around until I empty it then changing the oil and filter. On the bottle it just says to consult your Yamaha dealer regarding the shock treatment.

They say on the bottle to use it as an additive/at 30ml to a 37.5litres (1oz to 10gal) so a 12oz bottle would treat 450 litres and my tanks 400l so close enough?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 2:37pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Had a look. 2oz/gallon and 64 gal of fuel seems to be the accepted wisdom for a shock treatment. I think the 1oz/10gal is the normal treatment ratio for continuous use.  Do it just before an oil change as the oil will need changing after. Carry spare plugs as they may need changing also.

64 gal = 240l and about 10 bottles of Ring Free so that wouldn't be cheap. I would look at running maybe 4 x 25l tank fulls with the 2oz/gal type ratio and see if that does the job. I suspect that the ratio is probably more important than the extra litres of treated fuel. I don't know that using the maintenance dose will remove much carbon.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raging Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 2:58pm
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt
Big Sexy

Might try a couple of totes at 2oz Gallon and then change my oil.

I saw a video of someone’s oil after they ran 2oz to the gallon and used 6 gallons, it was pretty ugly. If my oil was like that after 1 tank I don’t think I’d want to run it for too long before changing the oil. I’d have to run for 7-8 hours to use 240l.

Will get through 2 totes in a couple of hours so I’ll start with that.

Cheers Tagit
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 3:31pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Let us know how you get on. I have pulled down a number of engines with quite high hours on them and the carbon build up has generally not been too bad. I wonder if our fuel might be a little better than some of the US stuff.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raging Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 7:02pm
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt
Big Sexy

Reason I was doing it was I adjusted the valve clearances as part of a service. After adjusting them I thought it would be a good idea to do a compression test. When I checked they were mostly around 190. Lowest was 175 and highest was 210.

Mixed 2 tote tanks with 22 litres or 6 gal of fuel with 12 oz or 60ml ring free in today and went and burnt up 44l of fuel.

Got it home and did another compression test and all cylinders were around 200 except the one that was high last time (#6) was 225 this time.

Checked the spark plugs that were black last time (150hrs old) and they were clean as this time.

I changed the engine oil and this is a sample of what I took out, looks like carbon settling in the bottom.

Looks like it worked?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 10:21pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

200 is good at 1200 hours. The dose obviously worked and yep that looks like carbon settling out of the oil although I doubt that is all carbon. Interesting about the plugs as most people say that the decarb messes the plugs. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 2:27pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Gawd my 225 has done over 2000hrs, my coffee it trolling...
Using this stuff might be scary.

But in saying that, many mechanics tell stories of gummed , clogged cars, give them a good thrashing and most of it gets removed.
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...