Fish - pain

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fish - pain
    Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 5:58am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote SufixRockMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 8:31am
SufixRockMan View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Regardless of the science, you gotta be a pretty cruel c**t not to iki the fish prior to binning it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote notalloyit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 8:50am
notalloyit View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Fish kill to eat. be humane when keeping fish or releasing.
BNS Design & Print LTD 0800 733 000   for all printing needs, special rates for website members. Free freight NZ wide.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 8:55am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I am pretty sure they feel pain and the same with insects. As SRM says iki your fish. If you fish livies as I do then I guess we are going to get some heat about that. it's rather challenging to be a kind hunter or killer
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote waynorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 10:07am
waynorth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

If you fish livies as I do then I guess we are going to get some heat about that.

Yes using livies and targeting fish you have no intention of eating - 2 areas where anti's can at least get some traction.  
treat fish like fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 10:08am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I kill fish and release fish that I don't want (which I'm sure as I can be will survive). I don't purposely go out to catch and release. Whatever you do, I think you should treat every fish you catch with respect, it's a knife to the head, or a quick release. This applies to everything, pigfish, kahawai, scorpion fish etc. A fish flapping around on a hot deck is not acceptable in my opinion.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Clifftastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 10:36am
Clifftastic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

My pain - financial, relationship, hook impaling incidents, sunburn, joint stress from unforgiving hulls in rough seas and genuine tears when the hook pulls on the 'one' - far outweigh the swift pain the fish feels.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 10:37am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I was rather surprised the author did not iki his fish too. Surely such an expert should know that is a quick as death as they will get.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 6:36pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Here we go rodeo is under pressure because it’s not enjoyable to the bull, duck shooting is getting a hard time. People on tv cooking programs have been taken to task br cutting a live crayfish in half. Now fishing will go the same way.

Have you ever heard a lettuce scream in pain
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 6:48pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That is exactly what I say Kandrew. I am sure veges don't feel to great pulled from the ground then skinned, boiled, roasted or grilled. They are living too.

The need to fish is a primeval thing I reckon, the instinct of a hunter I guess.

You can get very carried away on these matters.   
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 6:54pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well rodeo is deliberatley cruel to mammals.... just for fun.  Bit like fox hunting.

i am 100% sure fish have (limite) intelligence, react with fear and pain, but have no idea what the concpets of "apin" and "fear" mean to a fish.  A snapper used to crunching up crabs is not likely to notice a hook in its mouth.  It will notice being pulled in a diectin it wants to go.

Live baiting is a real ethical problem.  I used to use live crabs a lot fishing for smoothhounds which all got put back.  Yes, i did ponder what i was doing.

Bottom line of course be good to the fish, iki them quick.

Can't see any of this stopping me going fishing though, so what does that make me?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 7:09pm
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Rubbish - they cant feel pain. 
The number of fish that I've hooked in the arse ... and they still run away. If I were hooked in the arse the last thing I would be doing is running away from whoever is pulling.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 7:15pm
puff View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Joker Joker wrote:

Rubbish - they cant feel pain. 
The number of fish that I've hooked in the arse ... and they still run away. If I were hooked in the arse the last thing I would be doing is running away from whoever is pulling.

😂😂😂
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 7:16pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You also see fish survive horrendous wounds of various things that no mammal would survive. 

Tough critters for sure and that is why they survived for millions of years. 

I have no issue with live baiting there is one certain thing in the ocean one way or another you eventually get eaten. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 7:23pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes fishing is a primal thing, hunting and gathering. The need to ate to survive.

My old dad always said, boy if you don’t ate, you don’t sh-t and if you don’t sh-t you die!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 10:07pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Vegetables should have rights too
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 9:39am
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Any animal we eat probably doesn't like what we do to them. If you eat a fish you save a chicken. Eat a couple of chickens and save a lamb etc etc.If you assume that fish are at the less intelligent end of the food animal spectrum then best to eat them rather than more of the other options. Fish caught on a line gets dispatched quickly and onto ice. Fish in a net gets crushed, drowned, dies slowly etc. Catch your fish by line to minimise the hurt.

Other than that go vegeterian and start worrying whether plants have feelings.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 6:39pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Tagit Tagit wrote:

Any animal we eat probably doesn't like what we do to them. If you eat a fish you save a chicken. Eat a couple of chickens and save a lamb etc etc.If you assume that fish are at the less intelligent end of the food animal spectrum then best to eat them rather than more of the other options. Fish caught on a line gets dispatched quickly and onto ice. Fish in a net gets crushed, drowned, dies slowly etc. Catch your fish by line to minimise the hurt.

Other than that go vegeterian and start worrying whether plants have feelings.

I'll buy that argument.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 6:58am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes plants do feel pain and smell, feel, talk, look after their young and share food etc as per science at this link https://youtu.be/Un2yBgIAxYs

Life is tough in general - kill eat to survive including plants fish animals bugs etc etc.

Just be humane about it. Fast and with less pain as possible. Particularly commercial who kill in mass.

Live baiting is a natural situation small fish eaten by big fish just manipulated in our favour - I’m more concerned of the balloons and rubber bands etc
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb