Ocean Signal RescueMe PLB

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RiceOwl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ocean Signal RescueMe PLB
    Posted: 30 Oct 2018 at 8:12pm
RiceOwl View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi All,

I'm in the market for a PLB and have ID the Ocean Signal RescueMe PLB as the one I would like largely due to it's size as I do a lot of kayaking and outdoor activities so always good to have a backup.

The one I am looking at is:

Anyone currently own this model and have any thoughts on it? Also i see this is registered with AMSA Canberra, is that a concern? i.e. Does it need to be registered with NZ SAR or anything like that? Just not wanting to buy a dud but this is at a good price.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2018 at 9:20pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have one, no issues. Registered here no problem. NZ purchased though, don't know if Auz units would be different but I doubt it. Registration info in the packaging might be for AUz too though but you should be able to work through that. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Metal Float Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 10:47am
Metal Float View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I have an Aussie brought one - my understanding is that they will respond and contact rescue services no matter where you are. I use (carry) mine overseas as much as in NZ - even day trekking when on holiday but also in some of the most remote locations you can imagine. No issues but I haven't had to trigger it (almost a few times) and size is a big benefit. Signal life reflects the size but still reasonable. When I'm with others with PLB we often make sure that if there's an event we will stagger when we trigger each PLB. I will buy another in a years time when my battery is due to expire and carry two on remote trips for a few years. 

Is the Garmin InReach Mini also an option?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 11:14am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I would buy an NZ coded unit. I don't think you can register a unit coded for another country in NZ. Having said that, I have a British coded/registered unit. I was concerned that rescue would not happened, or be delayed should I need to use it. NZ retailers weren't too helpful on this issue as you can imagine. I contacted the Joint Rescue Coordination Centre New Zealand and this was their reply.

If your PLB is activated within the New Zealand Search and Rescue Region (NZSRR) we automatically get a copy of that alert and will act on it without delay.

The country of registration will also get a copy of the alert.

We would contact them initially and seek information for people you have registered as distress contacts.

We treat every distress notification as real until we find out otherwise.

Quick access to information allows us to plan our response better.

You could perhaps add a note to your UK registration that you use your PLB in New Zealand and contact should be made direct with RCCNZ.

Make sure your NZ contacts (including your own)numbers are included in the registration – we will try calling direct in case there has been an accidental activation or you happen to be in mobile phone range.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Metal Float Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 1:31am
Gold
Gold

Not sure about buying in one country and registering in another. Mine is both brought and registered in Aussie with NZ contacts - no problem. A friend with an Aussie registered one accidentally set it off on CXI (Kiritimati Island) and his contact in Samoa got the call within 3min. A CXI contact number was passed on and they contact him within 5-6min to confirm it was an accident. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 4:09pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Anyone got any further thoughts on PLBs?  I am slowly migrating to Tutukaka and plan to buy one - if i fall out of the boat up here it might be a while until another boat comes along.  I guess the issues are

- size, weight and comfort while fishing
- cost
- battery lifetime 

I guess you replace the battery after however many years - does that cost much?

Hope, like the coastguard, I never use it.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 4:23pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm interested you can fly with one? My batteries on my EPIRB have just expired. Last few days I have been going thru the process of trying to find replacements. NOT EASY. Found some exact ones in Aus but they won't/can't ship - because they are a No Fly item.
I brought mine back from Vanuatu without batteries. Could source no replacements via there and NZ not helpful either. They want to sell you a new unit. In the US the batteries are a total of $28.
Mine is NZ registered and purchased - but all the contact details are in vanuatu. No issue.
Regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote SkippersMate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 9:05pm
SkippersMate View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

The PLB be it an Au or NZ coded one, is a global use item. NZ law requires NZ coded ones to be registered in NZ, although over 30% are not. Internationals / Au ones have no requirement.

If you have an International / Au coded one, as stated previously from Maritime NZ, you get the same service level as any beacon that is activated. All global MCC (Maritime Communication Centres) talk to each other.

NZ and Au beacons are the same as they must comply with AU/NZ standards. The pouch attached to some brands, like the Ocean Signal, must stay attached as it is it that provides the PLB the ability to float. Add it to the size of the Ocean Signal and it is not that small.

Re battery replacement, the cost by many of the brand's replacement centre are high. The battery is unique to the PLB as each manufacturer must supply the "registered" battery to each unit. They are the ones that have to carry the performance liability, hence why you cannot replace it yourself.

Re air travel - depending on age and brand, most can be carried on aircraft. Best to check with each airline.

Admin: not sure if I can submit this - please adjust if need be- https://www.skippersmate.co.nz/distress-beacons/plb-new-zealand

Is size and weight the issue? https://www.skippersmate.co.nz/2017/08/28/plb-weight-comparison-chart

If I can help anyone, please let me know. I'm more than happy to talk to you. I have supplied both beacon types into NZ for over 7 years now.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 7:35am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Anyone got any further thoughts on PLBs?  I am slowly migrating to Tutukaka and plan to buy one - if i fall out of the boat up here it might be a while until another boat comes along.  I guess the issues are

I have brought Accusat pocket series .. As now crossing bars.
 Was thinking a auto float one for the boat.. but was thinking along the lines.. Boat would be reasonably easy in most cases to see...and if I or use are separated in surf..

Has a good pouch that goes on my belt and sits well just a little behind...no probs standing or sitting fishing or even while driving..
 It also as a lanard that my arm fits thru while crossing a bar...
 Battery is 2020s some time..

Spent a lot of time , months talking asking what to go for/ type etc.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jackel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 10:20am
jackel View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I would go straight to a ACR PLB, with built in flotation (not a pouch). I think that its pointless having a PLB that you have to remove from a buoyancy pouch to activate-You would then risk dropping it. For land SAR no problem, but I'm sure there would be far too much going on, should your boat roll on a bar without having to play around with a non buoyant PLB. 

I would also buy a NZ registered one, yes the AUS are cheaper but any delay in the signal detection and contacting NZSAR could cost your life. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Metal Float Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 1:02am
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by jackel jackel wrote:

I would also buy a NZ registered one, yes the AUS are cheaper but any delay in the signal detection and contacting NZSAR could cost your life. 

Delay?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 8:00am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi RiceOwl, i have a rescue me PLB. Great for Kayakers or small boat owners like myself. They are connected to the floating pouch by strong nylon cord. To activate the unit it stays connected to pouch at all times, so you will not loose it. Also the back of pouch there is a belt loop for attaching to yourself. As seen on Big Angry Fish Show they where them on arms. Buy one you won't be dissappointedBeer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 8:17am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Re air travel - depending on age and brand, most can be carried on aircraft. Best to check with each airline.

My EPIRB is a GME MT400. The batteries (2 D cell) contain more than 2 gm Li. Prohibited Fly item - Dangerous Goods class.
Smaller units may be OK, but the common EPIRBs are not. Unfortunately.
Alan

Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 8:26am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

SG yep that what I have.. poor descriptrion in my 1st post above ..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Metal Float Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 12:01pm
Gold
Gold

It terms of replacing batteries, mine expires at the end of next year. Instead of paying the hefty replacement cost, I'll replace it and carry two so I can set them off sequentially but won't rely on the out-of-date item.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 10:50am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That thought crossed my mind also.. for when the time comes.
Chatting to a couple others, thats what they do..
If cant get to 1 can get to another..

A resent experienced boat that rolled on the Waikato bar, was unfortunate not to be able to get to their beacon...
It was the delay in contacting CG on the way in that alterted... Everything else , jackets etc was text book .. no one hurt or lost.. 

Marine Deals  have their xmas discounts running for beacons at the moment..if considering now is the time to do it.
 Also most other shops  will meet the marine deal prices ..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 8:39pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Fish City Albany do it at about the same price- popped in for a look today.

I will go for one of them if i can persuade someone to buy me it for Chrimbo....

...else i will buy one for the wife and she can get me a new rod, reel or both....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SkippersMate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 1:53pm
Bronze
Bronze

What delay?

Both organisations are made aware of the activation. Also, you can buy both Au and NZ coded from Australia. The NZ coded ones can be registered with Maritime NZ.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SkippersMate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 2:08pm
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Metal Float Metal Float wrote:

It terms of replacing batteries, mine expires at the end of next year. Instead of paying the hefty replacement cost, I'll replace it and carry two so I can set them off sequentially but won't rely on the out-of-date item.

Just remember they each have a minimum transmission time of 24 hours, so the need to set the second one off would not be needed. If on the other hand you share the second one with someone else on board, then have two two activated with each person will help search and rescue located both.

Keep your registration trip plan with Maritime NZ up to date highlighting both PLBs are assigned to a different person along with their emergency contact details for both.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SkippersMate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 2:22pm
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Snappa Geoff Snappa Geoff wrote:

Hi RiceOwl, i have a rescue me PLB. Great for Kayakers or small boat owners like myself. They are connected to the floating pouch by strong nylon cord. To activate the unit it stays connected to pouch at all times, so you will not loose it. Also the back of pouch there is a belt loop for attaching to yourself. As seen on Big Angry Fish Show they where them on arms. Buy one you won't be disappointedBeer

If you ever buy a secondhand PLB, checkout what brand and model you are getting with the attached flotation pouch. There is a possibility the flotation pouch has been cut off from the PLB by the previous owner. As the new owner, do you know if it has a built in buoyancy chamber?

Which ones have the attached flotation pouch:
Ocean Signal RescueME
ACR ReQLink
McMurdo Fast Find 220

Built In Buoyancy Chamber - flotation pouch not required
KTi Safety Alert SA2G
ACR ResQLink+
Page  12>