Rio 12wt GT line

Page  <1234>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 4:52pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

How long a splice how much fly line inside the braid ?
Some cool stuff being shared .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 5:40pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah thanks GuysThumbs Up

clear and concise, im on track now! 
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piscisfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 7:42am
piscisfly View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Legacy Legacy wrote:

About that much and that much LOL! 

I'll have a look tonight at the ones I have done previously and let you know.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 8:34am
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks!
I’m probably going to go with 200lb hollow jigstar , zap a gap and aquaseal.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 10:19am
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The other thing I have done is inserting a piece of 100 - 130 lb braid inside the dacron loop and then blind splicing this.

The 130 braid will never break, but has the dacron as a cushion.

It's overkill - but this was an introduction to chasing dogtooth on fly. The fly lines used to break before the connections.

Just wish there were those 75lb core fly lines back in the day - we might have evened the score a bit more.

Edit: @Legacy - mate, you don't need huge lengths of splices.
I'm happy with about a minumum of 5cm, but usually have about 7cm in total. It acts very much on the Chinese finger trap principal.
Also, the superglue at 3 spots makes it bullet proof as does the whipping.
"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piscisfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 10:40am
piscisfly View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Jaapie, thanks for that. With the 'braid' inside the dacron do you mean PE/GSP?

I have previously done that as well but was unsure if it added any value as the PE braid isn't spliced into itself, and being extremely slick, pulled out quite easily. I found the real strength was in the outer braided dacron loop.

Maybe I did it wrong?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 11:56am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I find it important to bind the end furthest away from the loop to the line first and then pull it tight, real tight and then apply super glue, then complete 2 more binds. That gives a powerful loop which I then stress test over a 9" nail driven into the top of a post in my fence. I don't usually have much more than 10cm of line stuffed into the braid. The finger trap works on the principle that the harder you pull, the tighter it grabs. 
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 12:33pm
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by piscisfly piscisfly wrote:

Jaapie, thanks for that. With the 'braid' inside the dacron do you mean PE/GSP?

I have previously done that as well but was unsure if it added any value as the PE braid isn't spliced into itself, and being extremely slick, pulled out quite easily. I found the real strength was in the outer braided dacron loop.

Maybe I did it wrong?

Yes mate - Gelspun.

The reason we use the heavy stuff is because it has a bit of body to it and isn't insanely thin.

I was also undecided whether it added value, but it was the way it was done then. I have mostly switched to just plain dacron loops now and have found them to be reliable and insanely strong. Always make sure you test them as Nick says - I use a screwdriver and pull the crap out of it to check and have never had one fail.

Oh, just one other thing when using dacron, always colour your connections and don't leave it that fluoro yellow.

I understand what you are saying about the GSP being very slick and sliding out, but once you have the tag ends coming out of the dacron, it shouldn't when you add a tiny drop of superglue on 3 separate spots in the join and whip it with flytying thread ....... usually monocord.

I hope this post is clear and understandable.

Good luck mate.
"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 12:40pm
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Snuffit. Snuffit. wrote:

The finger trap works on the principle that the harder you pull, the tighter it grabs. 

Agreed Nick, but just remember that its only tightening on the plastic coating to your strong inner core.  Hence my comments previously about the shear strength of the plastic coating.  I'm not sure what that strength would be, and if the loop (finger trap) would cut through the plastic coating first but wouldn't be a bad idea to do some destruction testing to get an idea as to how much length you need to get up to the strength of these 50-75 & 100lb core lines.  

Personally id use 300mm as a starting point.  No such thing as over-engineering in my opinion. Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piscisfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 12:41pm
piscisfly View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

That's great! Thanks Jaapie.

I have also tested my braided dacron loop connections in a similar manner to Nick, and on fish, and they are, as you said, insanely strong!

The only reason I am going to try braided Kevlar is for the additional abrasion resistance when fishing amongst the coral.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 2:36pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

One other thing.... I make my loop bigger than the factory job as well. That way I can cats paw an up to 130lb leader loop on loop-to-loop and snug it. Factory loops generally wont allow that bulk to pull through (bulk being leader loop knot). The cats paw distributes the weight of the fish's pull better than a simple loop to loop. I know what I'm trying to say - does that make sense???? ConfusedBig smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piscisfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 3:01pm
piscisfly View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Great idea Nick(the cats paw connection). It made sense once I googled it! I have always just done a standard loop-to-loop connection, which, as you said, does put a lot of pressure on a small part of the loop.

I will definitely do this in the future. How many times do you go through the fly line loop?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 3:13pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I go twice Warren, it snugs in nicely.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piscisfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 3:29pm
piscisfly View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Snuffit. Snuffit. wrote:

I go twice Warren, it snugs in nicely.

Thanks mate. I'll be trying that tonight!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piscisfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 7:37am
piscisfly View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Legacy Legacy wrote:

Hi Legacy,

checked my braided loops this morning. The splice on all mine are between 5-7cm (coincidentally the same as Jaapie suggests) and the amount of flyline stuffed inside the other end is 7-10cm.

With the coating of aquaseal the pressure is distributed evenly over the flyline coating which I believe gives the connection great strength.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 7:50am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Such awesome info guys. Could we see some photos with instructions or a video tutorial? It's very hard to follow without a visual reference.

Thanks in advance.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote reel crayze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 8:04am
reel crayze View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Jofly Jofly wrote:

Such awesome info guys. Could we see some photos with instructions or a video tutorial? It's very hard to follow without a visual reference.

Thanks in advance.

What Jofly said please.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 10:36am
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'll see how time goes and try put something up.

EDIT: Add a tutorial.

Righto fella's,

Hope this is easier to follow.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 1:48pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I've a couple of lines arriving in next week, will put up a step by step (subject to remembering to!)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 5:27pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Heck for GT's don't you just need some anchor cable?
The Auckland Swoffer
www.AucklandSwoffer.wordpress.com
Page  <1234>