Rio 12wt GT line

Page  <1 234
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 1:10pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Awesome Warren, yeah once freight is added to ADH prices it gets ugly. keen to hear how you go.
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cheeko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 1:18pm
Cheeko View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Snuffit. Snuffit. wrote:

I kind of agree with what Craig says about kingis. But the fact is the line is called "GT" and we blew a few of them up on the target species as in factory loops going south. In the picture below you can (just) see the jury-rigged "cnut loop" Embarrassed that we ended up tying in the terminal end of our lines. 4 anglers on that trip and without exception we blew factory loops. Not just Rio but SA & Airflo also.

A close up of the aforementioned cnut loop. When nothing else would hold this did. Bloody ugly though and I had to have the rod rigged up all week as the knot is too big for the guides LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 2:12pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

LOL Yep, that will stop them Thumbs Up

Another way to do it is to sleeve dacron or hollow braid over 150mm of the fly line tip and then tie a double granny in this sleeved portion and connect heavy leader by threading through the pre-tightened granny and tying a uni knot around the sleeve and pulling the whole lot together. You can actually get this sort of knot through your guides, but it is not pretty. It is very very strong. The only problem with it is that the uni knot might be hard to tie in place with some of the leader sizes you guys are talking about.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 5:29pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

'Neccisity, the Mother of all inventions', right thereLOL,

to think we all probably started on silly trout and now where targeting species that requires knots like that!
Cracks me up.
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote craignzcd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 11:00pm
craignzcd View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

how come such a big knot....my normal welded loop on my 12wt tropical outbound short was well against the 50lb GT I got....still looks fine today....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 8:17am
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Suppose it comes down to how hard you have to go on the fish hey? Open flats and you can let the fish run and wearing itself out, where as in coral country you have to go flat out hard on them, in close with no stretch in the system. Horses for courses as it were.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 9:24am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That's the one Fraser.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 5:22pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

yip it sounds like hand to hand combat in a minefield to me!
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 8:09am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Woo-boy! Just got a couple of SA Amplitude Big Water Taper#12 lines in. No factory loop and the braided loops provided are industrial. 

Lines are thicker than the usual, that'll be the 100lb core. Now to cast one.... Nuke
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 8:43am
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sounds like your on the money then Nick!   Let us know how it goes bro.  Hopefully the thicker line doesn't make it harder to cast into a strong breeze?  That being said, it is a 12#.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piscisfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2018 at 7:28pm
piscisfly View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Awesome Warren, yeah once freight is added to ADH prices it gets ugly. keen to hear how you go.

Nick, the Kevlar braid arrived today and looks to be pretty good. I got the 300lb version and it is similar diameter to 130lb hollow braided dacron. It is not super hollow but I was still able to insert the 550gn Rio Leviathan floater no problems. Making loops won't be an issue at all.

They have 200lb as well but I think that the hollow core will be too small for 12wgt lines.

$42.70AUD incl shipping for 100ft. Will get a truckload of loops out of that.......
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 6:46am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cool mate, can I ask where you bought it?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piscisfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 7:31am
piscisfly View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Cool mate, can I ask where you bought it?

Here you are mate:

https://www.wellsystackle.com.au/_products//TerminalFishingTackle/RIGGINGToolsMATERIALS(BaitOrLures)/Tuf-LineKevlarAssistHookLine100Ft-305M-667-20698-.aspx

Shipping is $13.70AUD Express International to NZ.

Edit: for some reason the link doesn't display correctly so copy the url above into your browser.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piscisfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 7:36am
piscisfly View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Woo-boy! Just got a couple of SA Amplitude Big Water Taper#12 lines in. No factory loop and the braided loops provided are industrial. 

Lines are thicker than the usual, that'll be the 100lb core. Now to cast one.... Nuke

Nice! I have 3 of the older versions of their 100lb lines and they are actually thinner than my Rio 550gn Leviathan Floater with only a 70lb core. But then the SA lines are only 450-475gn too.

Are the supplied loops braided mono? I used the supplied braided mono loops recently and the front one got chewed up real quick.....hence the Kevlar braid hunt.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 8:50am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah I rigged one line up using only the front loop supplied by SA, did my own back loop. Thanks for the link, i'm onto it! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piscisfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 9:19am
piscisfly View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yeah I rigged one line up using only the front loop supplied by SA, did my own back loop. Thanks for the link, i'm onto it! 

Thumbs UpThumbs Up
Page  <1 234