Rainbow trout???

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bbavs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rainbow trout???
    Posted: 24 Oct 2018 at 9:37pm
Bbavs View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi young angler here and just wondering why “majority” of the time the rainbows will follow my lure/soft bait , just follow right behind it multiple times but never hit? Am I doing something wrong or are they just smarter than browns?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2018 at 11:30pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

dunno I am trying to catch browns. same issue. I am guessing the lure doesn't look right to them
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 10:20am
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Try mixing up the retrieve.

We often get this in salt fly fishing and by speeding up the retrieve especially near the end you elicit a strike.

Not sure what goes on in their heads, but it's like the food has suddenly woken up and tries to get away.
"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 10:42am
RC17 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I think particularly on lakes we would be surprised while trolling / harling / spinning the length of time a fish would perhaps follow the lure for before striking, particularly with Rainbows. Rivers tend to be a bit different as the fish lies in wait for food so will snap it up as soon as it is presented if it looks the part. 

Used to do a fair bit of spinning on the Rotorua lakes and it was fairly common to have fish following the lure in and turning away at your feet. I would say mixing up the retrieve is the best bet way to entice a bite as previously mentioned. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 6:40pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It is pretty normal to have them follow and not take. Fishing more disturbed water can help and so can changing out your spinner/lure. I found the winged spinners sometimes worked better than 'wobblers' when river fishing. The other thing is to vary your speed. I liked to work it slowly on the swing and then do a burst of speed just as it started the up river part of the retrieve. I also used brighter spinners for Rainbows and darker ones for Browns. Although I can't guarantee that made a lot of difference, my instinct was that it was helping. We used to add extra bright reflective tape to the wings of the lures
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2018 at 8:54am
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Try stopping the lure dead and letting it hit the bottom, it's amazing how often they will simply drop and suck it in! It works more often than not, but it's hard to "train" yourself to do this as the natural instinct is to speed up (which also sometimes works)...

So in short, there is not much you can do, it's just the nature of fishing lures, often the follow is out of curiosity, aggression is the trigger you want in reality, hence why lures work best early and especially late in the season.
https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Philly123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 11:20am
Philly123 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

It is very common that fish, especially bows, are just being curious and follow the bait and there is nothing you can do about it. Just come back another day and try the same location. 
Other things to try have already been mentioned, but switching up the lure could also trigger a bite. I often switch to spinners when the fish wont bite, have worked quite well.