Dumb newbie questions

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote otdrmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dumb newbie questions
    Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 6:06pm
otdrmn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Have been looking at getting in to swf for a while and have some newbie (possibly dumb) questions:

1) left hand or right hand reel - I’m a righty and would hold the rod in the right hand to cast

2) thinking alvey 425b matched to 10wt rod - thoughts on this setup

3) what line would you recommend (thinking fast sinking), is there a particular colour that stands out better than others

4) fluorocarbon leader - recommended length and size

5) recommendations on and essential reading or YouTube channel to watch

6) best place to buy a setup? I’m in Akld but not afraid of purchasing within NZ and shipping.

Will be fishing the shallows and banks around the kaipara harbour from a centre console.

Thanks in advance for any advice and suggestions.

Regards

G
The 4 R's ~ Rods, Reels, Rifles, Rooting
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 7:46pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Gidday Graeme, my thoughts as follows... others may differ...

(1) What ever hand you are comfortable winding a fly reel with. Technically speaking you are supposed to use the opposite hand to which you cast with. I don't. I cast with my right and reel in with my right. I pass the rod to my left hand to fight fish. Bad form apparently, but works for me.

(2) There some excellent cheap fly reels on the market these days that are of great quality. I personally wouldn't bother with an Alvey. Check out some of the Redingtons. 10wt is a good choice for what you are doing.

(3) A full Intermediate line would best suit the fishing situation you described.

(4) Yes, learn a good joining knot like the Slim Beauty and construct staged leaders that might be 40lb/25lb/16lb or similar.

(5) Screens don't help... go fishing Smile

(6) Rod & Reel I suppose or Westgate Hunting and Fishing.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote lucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 11:03pm
lucas View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I may have a spare 10wt lying around I’m willing to sell. Send me an email to [email protected]

If you’re mostly fishing in less than 3m of water you can go past an intermediate line, even fish my poppers on one. Really good allrounder.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 8:17am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

2) thinking alvey 425b matched to 10wt rod - thoughts on this setup 

I've got one of those on a 12wt rod and it's a bit heavy on that.  The Alvey is a good solid reel, but really heavy compared to other fly reels.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 11:23am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm from the UK and they taught you to wind with left hand if you are right handed.
Always looks odd swapping hands to wind but if it works for you.....
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 6:55pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

i wind with the left but if i get tired rolling in one of them Aituaki bones i just flip the reel around 180 degress and wind back wards with the right. I try not to let anyone see me doing it :).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 8:19pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Clearing line on a fast running fish is one of the skills that you need to learn for good saltwater fly fishing. I hold and control the disappearing fly line with me left hand and then, when everything comes up tight I pass the rod across from my right to my left and continue fighting the fish with my left arm/hand and wind with the right. It all happens quite unconsciously and never have any problems. But yes, it is the 'wrong' way to do it!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 10:13pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I also cast right handed and wind right handed. I have no idea why it supposedly matters. Just do what you are immediately comfortable with.

Not sure if you are entirely new to fly-fishing or just SWF? If you are new to fly-fishing in general the best thing you can invest in is a day or two of casting lessons from a pro.  It will spare you a lot of frustration and if you do it over a couple of days of guiding you will learn even more and most likely catch your first fish too.