Gamefishing Updates - Whangaroa - 18/19

Topic Closed

Page  <1 234
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 8:33pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We had 5 days of zilch.Lots of skippies so live baited as well as trolled.
Late morning we has our first strike on our Marlinstar Tomahawk - the same lure that's had all the action for last 3 years.
Unfortunately, after 35 minutes and 30 metres from boat, the hook pulled.
When we checked the lure/hook, I saw the point was slightly bent over so it wasn't a deeply penetrated hook-up...bugga
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 8:43pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Unlucky Roy but fishing has been hard for most. 
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 1:38pm
reel crayze View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Not much to report after a "flying" trip to Whangaroa.

I left home 6am sunday and arrive in Whangaroa 6pm monday totally knackered. Had the tuesday on shore trying to recover thinking i am getting to old for this Embarrassed

Had a couple of days on the water fishing Stevies to Taheke area for zip. Day 3 i see a boat gridding an area and thought i might hang on the outside of them, then there is a couple of gannets diving near them.. next minute they are hooked up and had a successful catch and tag release. i continue working the area, they leave and i see a couple of gannets a km away, so i head over there and see a marlin working a very fast moving bait ball. Its the first time i have ever seen this and the excitement level is up near the clouds.  I work the area pulling alongside the bait one time hoping the bait will come under my boat but it doesnt. I get no bites and either the bait ball gets eaten or it goes elsewhere ... i dont know. I do however have you guys yelling at me "dont leave fish to find fish" so i keep working the area for quite a while for no result. 
Couple of days trolling wider and further south and still nothing to show for it.
It is monday and the weather has started to blow a bit . I boat pass the boat ramp and the ramp carpark is very vacant. I head out on the leeward side of Stevies and think it maybe a tad rough out there and it is. However i get to the 88m mark and i see a free jumper a 100 metres away. I again work the area and a couple of times see the marlin swimming near the boat.. i am trying very hard just trying to will the fish to bite my lures but ****ting myself if it does bite the lure how do i get on then ? In a big boat it would of been rough in a 6m boat it is very rough !!! All the while i have Peter Pakulas "hook it and then worry about it" banging away in my head ! I dont have to worry about trying to land it as it doesnt bite my lures.
The forecast i have been given is for more rough weather all the way to friday, i have to leave sunday. I pull the boat out monday evening. I start the long trek home 7am tues morning to avoid the Auckland traffic which i do, phew, arriving home noon wed. The first thing i did when i got home was check swellmap.. it was a 1 or 2, i think for once i may of got it right !

It was always going to be a short trip but once again i was beaten by the weather and once again i got zipped. 

So my solo marlin ambition has yet to be achieved, full credit to those guys that achieve that. I find it going out day after day esp in rough weather getting bashed around mentally and physically taxing. Maybe it is the age thing again LOL . Northland I will be back.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 8:30pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bloody nice write-up. Sad you didn't get one but console yourself with this fact. you saw more action than most have lately. That sort of commitment you deserve one and when it comes it will be all the more sweater. 
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 8:26am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We fished that area for a week, 2 weeks ago and saw bugga all but did have a marlin on for 30 minutes off Cavallis
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 9:33am
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We did a few days in that area also and saw only 2 fish. One got bill wrapped and jumped off. Other was a nice 130kgish fish we released. Hardest fishing I can remember.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 6:31pm
swordfishsteve View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Ok heads up guys got my #19 solo marlin today. Just happened to be nice Blue Marlin est 200kg tagged & released   in 180m off wekarau. Yeah boy Cheers Swordfish steve
REEL REPAIR GUY - Swordfishsteve, That Is Who I Am and That is What I Do : See More At :www.reelrepairguy.co.nz
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 7:30pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Niccccccccce Steve. Thumbs Up
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 7:34pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I heard our Jakespitsville was hooked up and fighting also!
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 9:09pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by swordfishsteve swordfishsteve wrote:

Ok heads up guys got my #19 solo marlin today. Just happened to be nice Blue Marlin est 200kg tagged & released   in 180m off wekarau. Yeah boy Cheers Swordfish steve

Good size fish especially solo! Awesome
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 9:29pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

👍Nice one swordfishsteve👍
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 2:10pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well done that is a lot of fish solo, especially with some big fish like 200 kg blue, awesome!
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 5:06pm
White snake View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

That's another level.well done steve👍
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 5:40pm
reel crayze View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Congratulations Steve, 19 solo is a great effort.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 7:21am
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That will of been a great fish to deal with Steve.
Very satisfying I'm sure.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 4:32pm
swordfishsteve View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Heads up guys, just returned from 6 days to 3 Kings from Whangaroa, had 11 strikes, hooked 8 fish, boated or tagged 7. Including 4 striped marlin tagged, 1 Blue Marlin Tagged, 1 Broadbill Boated 238 kg, 1 Big Mako released, all on lures. Best area was yesterday in 1000m east side of the 505 then south to 500m off Wekarua, we tagged 2 from 4 strikes. Beaut 21.2 Blue water there, lots of life, very fishy area. Swordfight was something very special for angler, 3.5 hrs on 25kg of drag in chair, 12.45am to 4.15am , awesome fish, very happy angler. Blue Marlin was in 145m off Surville Cliffs, 2 more striped Marlin tagged right on top of Magnet King Bank. So fantastic trip for me a skipper, made my season memorable to say the least, go get them boys! Good luck over Easter cheers swordfishsteve

REEL REPAIR GUY - Swordfishsteve, That Is Who I Am and That is What I Do : See More At :www.reelrepairguy.co.nz
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 5:16pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sounds like good fun
Got my very first stripy on a lumo sprocket at Compass Rose
Page  <1 234