Mixed bag of Unusual fish for Auckland

Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mixed bag of Unusual fish for Auckland
    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 at 12:03pm
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yesterday in the mid point between Little Barrier and Omaha in 52m we got a real mixed bag of top table fish and not your normal catch.
Mostly on sliders and micro jigs but a few on a dragged bait. On the flats with reef structure maybe 1-2km away. Was under a raft of sitting birds mostly sea gulls.

2 x John Dory
9 x Big Blue Cod (released another 20 smaller ones)
2 x Terakihi
5 x Good Sized Pig Fish
1 x Big Porae
6 x Snapper
4 x 2m+ Sharks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2018 at 12:22pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

mixed bag alright,nothing wrong with pig fish,nice white flesh very kelpy taste but  I like them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2018 at 12:37pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That really is a interesting and unusual catch. Maybe different species are returning to the gulf,and filling a gap in the food chain.?
Am hearing of more blue cod being caught here and there in places where previously there seemed to be none.
Terakihi--wouldnt it be great to see those in the gulf in numbers. Habitat seems ideal for terakihi. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2018 at 1:40pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not unusual at all used to get that in a similar area years ago Joker on ledger baited rigs
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2018 at 6:42pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well done Joker.
Used to be lots of blue cod round Leigh. Old man used to chuck em back cause they weren't snapper. We used get some real big ones too outa our old starcraft and 4.5 seagull out towards ti point mathesons side. Was a real population of them back in day. And one of them bit my ear on scuba in goat island many years ago... more aggressive fish than snapper. Neva been bit by snapper underwater, although don't trust ones at knights snorkelling with my kids.
Don't think I'd throw big blue cod back though... call it evolution! Definitely one of my favourite fish battered. Thanks to my modern experiences at fish n chip shops.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rowboat bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 7:50pm
rowboat bob View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yeah I fish Jellico Channel a bit and that's a fairly normal mixed bag minus the usual Gurnard, scorpion fish, Perch, Golden Snapper, kahawai, and Trevs. I've also caught Hapuka and Kingi's there. I usually get a 6 or 7 species mixed bin but possible for that to be 15 or so.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingfishers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 6:49am
kingfishers View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Second that Muppet, Have fished that area a few times. The main catch had been Terakihi above (35cm) ones and Trevs along with big blue cod. Hardly any snapper.. Terakihi love the red zebra lumo..

Image result for red zebra jig

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Not unusual at all used to get that in a similar area years ago Joker on ledger baited rigs
"My mind has gone fishing, ask all questions tomorrow"