Perth Fish Prices

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Perth Fish Prices
    Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 8:21am
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just got back from a couple of weeks in Western Australia. While we were there we stayed in Fremantle a couple of nights and went to the Fremantle Fish Market. We have nothing really to complain about in NZ with respect to what we have to pay for fresh fish.

Red Emperor - $74.95/kg
Dhufish - $89.95/kg
King George Whiting - $59.95/kg
Pink Snapper (same as our snapper) - $64.95/kg

Baramundi - $54.95/kg
Goldband Snapper - 58.50/kg
Spanish Mackeral - $39.95/kg
Salmon - $46.50/kg
Tuna - $29.95/kg
Mullaway - $39.95/kg

Western Rock Lobster - $92.95/kg

Cooked Tiger Prawns - $29.50/kg
Cooked Crabs - $30.95/kg

Also the price they pay for fish at the local fish & chip shops is horrendous, we stayed with some friends in north Perth at the end of the trip and after a days fishing we went and got some fish cooked at the local fish and chip shop and saw these prices Dhufish - $17/piece, Pink Snapper - $13/piece can't remember any other prices.

We went fishing one day and got 2 nice Dhufish (3.5 kg and 7.4kg), some trevally (same as ours but they call them Skippy over there), a Sampson fish about 7 kg which was released (not overly good eating), a couple of small snapper about 35cm which were released as the size limit is 50cm and a fish they call Black Ass as it has a black ass. 

With respect to daily catch limits we are so lucky in NZ, they are limited to 2 Dhufish per BOAT per day and 1 per person, they are also part of the Demersal Finfish bag limit which is 2 per person (Demersal fish are all your bottom dwelling fish and include snapper, John Dory, Coral Trout, Emperor species, Hapuka, Bass, Bluenose etc) and 3 pelagic fish which includes Sampson fish, kingys, all your mackerals, mahimahi etc.

On our last night we took 10 pieces of Dhufish down to the local fish and chip shop and got them to cook it for us, this would have cost us $170 if we had bought their Dhufish. Dhufish is similar to bluenose to eat but not as good, very nice battered but eaten fresh rolled in flour and fried in butter as we had it the day we went fishing it is nice but not as good as our bluenose. Our friends said that the WA snapper do not taste as good as our NZ snapper and generally our NZ fish taste a lot better than the average WA fish.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 8:45am
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yea I used to live in Perth.  I was shocked as to how cheap kai moana is when I moved here to Queenstown.

I still tell people how expensive it is over there and i know they think im making it up.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 9:59am
John_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Stayed with Son & his fams start Sept for week.... Sth Perth- Cockburn
They measure from nose to end of the tail not the V....

Limits though wicked... wouldn't mind knowing comms limits & size
saw some very small Barramundi fillets....

Charters found one for $170 half day... Jazz charters, a guy at Anglers Tackle store recommended them...  might give it a go nxt time, I'm over there... Just cause fishing diff area (country)  LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 10:51am
Titanium
Titanium

John there are some charter boats that operate out of Hillary's which I went on 20 years ago which were quite good, I presume they are still operating.

All along the Perth coast there is a reef system about 1km offshore, inside this the water is <10m. My friends do a bit of soft baiting in this shallow water and get quite a few snapper and Dhufish, but it is all done on the change of light in the morning, as soon as the sun is near to coming up the bite shuts down completely.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 11:09am
John_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Marligator Marligator wrote:

John there are some charter boats that operate out of Hillary's which I went on 20 years ago which were quite good, I presume they are still operating.

All along the Perth coast there is a reef system about 1km offshore, inside this the water is <10m. My friends do a bit of soft baiting in this shallow water and get quite a few snapper and Dhufish, but it is all done on the change of light in the morning, as soon as the sun is near to coming up the bite shuts down completely.

That would explain the 5.30am boat leaves... Can understand why fish go off the bite in shallows.. 

Thx
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 11:37am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've seen crayfish for $129/kg in Auckland Fish Market, with paua not far behind. Most fin fish that I've seen sold anywhere doesn't look very fresh. The fish behind the counter in Pak 'n Save, Countdown etc often turns my stomach LOL

Funnily enough, we are considering a move to WA/Perth. I think the fishing in southern WA is much like northern NZ in terms of species, but not as good, that's my assessment anyway. Having said that, once you start going north, you have access to tropical and game species. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 11:49am
Titanium
Titanium

MB - we went for a beach fish down the south coast and did very poorly but it was 2 days after a 5.7 earthquake in the area and probably explains why fishing was so hard. They said the surfcasting is usually very good for kahawai (they call them salmon which they get to 20 pound), trevally and herring with a few other species thrown in as well. Some beautiful beaches down there with crystal clear water and white sand, we fished Point Anne which is a bit like Great Exhibition Bay (for water quality and sand). The fishing out from Albany is good but the weather is the problem.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 11:57am
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cockburn and Warnbro sounds both close midnight this coming sunday for 3 months as Snapper spawning goes into top gear.....Fishery is pretty healthy as a result of this conservation.
"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 1:26pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Marligator Marligator wrote:

MB - we went for a beach fish down the south coast and did very poorly but it was 2 days after a 5.7 earthquake in the area and probably explains why fishing was so hard. They said the surfcasting is usually very good for kahawai (they call them salmon which they get to 20 pound), trevally and herring with a few other species thrown in as well. Some beautiful beaches down there with crystal clear water and white sand, we fished Point Anne which is a bit like Great Exhibition Bay (for water quality and sand). The fishing out from Albany is good but the weather is the problem.

Cheers. I have done a bit of fishing over there, mainly for sharks off the beach. Didn't land one, but had some almighty hookups LOL

Did a charter out of Dunsborough (I think). Got a dhuie Smile

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 3:11pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

There is no denying that Fish & Chips is an expensive meal these days. Perhaps not only in Perth. I have lived in WA some 38 years now after moving here from NZ in 1980. Some observations and feedback from other comments made follow.
The prices shown in the OP are in my view on the expensive side compared to other sources. It is difficult to strike an overall markup as prices fluctuate from species to species however generally I believe you could discount these prices by 30% or more if you shopped around. If you were to buy frozen then more discount again.
Clearly there are differing views with respect to which fish are the best eating. A poll on a local fishing site produced the following results when asked what was the best tasting fish in WA. The top eight only.
Baldchin Groper              Â Â 16%
King George Whiting          12%
Coral Trout                        10%
WA Dhufish                      7%
Breaksea Cod (Black arse)     7%
Red Emperor                        6%
Robinson Sea Bream          6%
Sand Whiting                        5%
Pink Snapper polled 2% and Blue Eye Trevalla (Bluenose) 1%.
To be fair Blue Eye Trevalla is not commonly caught here and probably rates low because of that. I have caught numerous Blue Eye Trevalla and have found them (as have others) extremely difficult to cook and for that reason I don't rate it. On the other hand Baldchin Groper, WA Dhufish and Pink Snapper I find are quite easy and forgiving to cook and I would rate them in that order.
Do NZ snapper taste better than WA snapper? I don't know, it's been a long time since I tasted NZ snapper. They say the colder the water the better tasting the fish, perhaps that has something to do with it?
Yes the daily fishing bag limits are very restrictive compared to NZ. This wasn't always the case. The commercial fisherman have since been excluded from approx. 100 kms/ miles/nm (not sure now) both north and south of Perth and the fish numbers are showing significant increases which is great.
As Titahi has mentioned earlier there is an area called Cockburn Sound where pink snapper are currently aggregating to spawn. This area is about to close for 4 months. It should close a month earlier imo as it cops a flogging in Sept. Hundreds of boats every day taking fish about to spawn. In addition fishing for demersal species (bottom feeders including all the sought after species) closes for 2 months from mid October to mid December each year.
It is very seldom that I buy Fish & Chips from a shop. Home cooked Fish & Chips are so much nicer and cheaper and you know what fish you are eating.
Hi to Fraser Hocks, I met you and your wife at the Adelphi Bar one Friday years ago and had a chat about having a fish together.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 5:09pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

OK, enough about fish & chips, please tell us about the fishing Fish Addict Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 6:35pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by MightyBoosh MightyBoosh wrote:

OK, enough about fish & chips, please tell us about the fishing Fish Addict Smile

How is the fishing, that's not an easy one to write a short response to.
Firstly there is the weather. Perth and other areas along the WA coast can be particularly windy at certain times of the year and this will dictate where and how far you travel in a boat. WA is not blessed with the number of islands reasonably close to the coast as in parts of NZ. About 10nm west of Fremantle there is Rottnest Island (Rotto) which is Perth's equivalent of Waiheke with lots of holiday makers and tourists. Heaps of reef and structure around Rotto to fish and dive but the area is heavily fished.
Structure is the key to finding fish here. This may be in the form of lumps, pinnacles and the like but also areas of coral which maybe flat. Hard bottom is what you need to look for. There is plenty of barren ground between the patches of ground holding fish. Snapper although fine by me are not targeted in the same way as they are in NZ. There are Yellowtail Kingfish (YTK) but not in the same numbers as NZ. As well as YTK we have Samsonfish (Sambos) and Amberjacks both close relatives of the YTK. Jigging for Sambos on spawning aggregations was popular years ago but the sharks soon learned there was an easy feed to be had. As a result you don't hear of Sambo jigging charters so much these days.
The prime fish targets would have to be WA Dhufish and Baldchin Groper (Baldies). Dhuies grow to around 25kg and Baldies to around 8kg. A 20kg dhuie is considered to be a great fish. Dhuies can be found from 5m depths to 100m. The 100m contour is in the order of 22nm west of the coast. Further out there are Eight Bar Cod (Greyband), Hapuka, Bass Groper and Blue Eye Trevalla (Bluenose). Greyband are found shallower than the others and you could start looking around 200m+ while the others are generally deeper in the 300-500m range and now you are around 37nm west of the coast.
West of Rotto there is the Perth Canyon, commonly called the Rottnest Trench. This is huge and the Grand Canyon in USA would fit inside it. Depths here exceed 4,000m. Marlin fishing available during the summer months. Blacks, blues and stripes but nothing like the numbers caught in NZ. Marlin numbers are very dependent on the warm current reaching waters off Perth and being within range of recreational craft. The comms longline for swords and tuna but this is generally more than 100nm west of the coast. If game fishing is your thing then Exmouth some 1300km north of Perth would be the place to be.
The coastline of WA is huge. Access can be difficult in remote areas and effort will generally be rewarded.
There is a trout fishery in the southwest of WA but nothing like the quality of the NZ fishery.
I've tried to give you a overall perspective. If you have any specific questions, fire away and I will do my best to answer them.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 7:37pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Awesome reply FA, thanks! I have a heap of questions, but my first is where can you go to avoid the wind? Looking at that coastline, Geographe Bay or Exmouth!?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 7:45pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Wow, Marly - I went fishing a few hundred k north of Perth a couple of years back. We got a black arse, 2 or 3 keeper snapper, a dhufish and a samson fish. That was it. The skipper reckoned it was a good day. The 2 aussies on board reckoned it was a good day. I though it was pretty sad
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 7:54pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep, it's the photos of guys proudly holding up a kahawai/salmon that worry me!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 9:11pm
Platinum
Platinum

Smudge over the 10 plus years I have frequented this site you have made it very apparent that you are a hater of most things Australian and accordingly your negative comments come as no surprise. If you want to fill your sack with fish, WA is not the place for you.

MB for the record the majority of WA Aussies don't rate kahawai highly as a table fish and most of the fish you may see in pics will be returned to the water to fight another day. Smoked fish has a very small following here. Killing billfish is also frowned upon here but that's another whole new discussion topic and I'm not going there.

My post above didn't make mention of what I would call the bread and butter species. There are heaps of those here including numerous species of whiting, Australian herring and too many more to mention.

Crays are plentiful whether diving or potting (daily limit 8 per day per person, max 24 per boat).

And the scourge of all NZers be prepared to pay boat registration fees and annual recreational fishing licence fees.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 9:23pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Only in Aussie, they'd name a fish "black arse"
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 9:55pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by kitno kitno wrote:

Indeed kitno, nonetheless the name it is very fitting. I have tried to insert an image without success however I'm sure you get the drift.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 10:02pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by Fish Addict Fish Addict wrote:

Originally posted by kitno kitno wrote:

Indeed kitno, nonetheless the name it is very fitting. I have tried to insert an image without success however I'm sure you get the drift.

Am surprised you didn't bite his arse too, FA 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2018 at 12:31am
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by MightyBoosh MightyBoosh wrote:

Awesome reply FA, thanks! I have a heap of questions, but my first is where can you go to avoid the wind? Looking at that coastline, Geographe Bay or Exmouth!?

Avoid the wind, good luck with that, I wish I had an answer. The wind patterns along the WA coast are seasonal and without islands to hide behind there is little protection from what rolls in from the Indian Ocean. Typically in Perth during the summer months the mornings will be light winds and a fresh W / SW wind will come in around midday or later (commonly referred to as the Fremantle doctor). WA's coastline is so vast each area has differing weather patterns and you need to understand these patterns when deciding where to fish when you do.
Page  12>