Sharpening Filleting Knives

Page  <123
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 5:30pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Drop one of your knives off here Smudge.. I will put and edge on it and go from there.
Neighbour just picked up the svorde.. Thought the edge was "scarry sharp"..
Basic convex edge
2 sheets wet in dry on a foam backing.
Skill level 2% of a stone

MB Iives a little further away to be practical
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 8:38pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I agree with MB and Smudge, it's a bit demoralising when you can't get a sharp knife. I've tried and tried with my Svord on sandpaper pinned to soft foam etc. But that convex edge defeats me, so I've given up on the Svord.

But for my standard edged knives I get a really sharp edge on my Spyderco rig which is something like a Lansky - my Victory carbon steel, Victory stainless etc. 

I definitely only cut using the tip and first part of the knife, and get a really nice clean fillet on a whole bin of fish before cleaning the knife, sharpening again, and wiping oil on it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 9:38pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I admit, I don't have the drive or passion to be anywhere near a perfectionist with my knives.
I get them to a usable point, and hack away.
I doubt I will starve.
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 9:50pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Big -Dave Big -Dave wrote:

I admit, I don't have the drive or passion to be anywhere near a perfectionist with my knives.
I get them to a usable point, and hack away.
I doubt I will starve.

Big smile
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 9:52pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Drop one of your knives off here Smudge.. I will put and edge on it and go from there.
Neighbour just picked up the svorde.. Thought the edge was "scarry sharp"..
Basic convex edge
2 sheets wet in dry on a foam backing.
Skill level 2% of a stone

MB Iives a little further away to be practical

Thanks for the offer Steps, I do a reasonable job but just not 100%. Besides my son works at the local butchers as an apprentice and he can do them real sharp. I just wish I could.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 12:14pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This op recover is going to be around 12 weeks before can think about getting back into the boat fishing..
Dave.. drop in again when passing next TK
head down this way for a cuppa,

Bring the knives I will show you how and get them up where you want.
 My victory/ green river used to be on a stone, one by one converted all to convex...because they keep the edge far longer and if got a big pile fish. only takes a couple seconds to get that edge back.

Where as on a honed edge once the burr has gone..steel only re shapes the burr, not sharpens, one has to re stone to re form the edge from the break off of the burr, then reform the burr.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 3:50pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It would be awesome to watch you sharpen a convex, Steps. 

I'd be interested to know what you think of the wet & dry and mouse pad sharpening technique in this YouTube video. The guy rambles a bit at the start, but shares your view that convex edges stay sharper longer and once he gets around to actually sharpening, it looks fairly simple.
One thing he doesn't mention is the angle between the sandpaper and the knife. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 9:30am
feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Electric for me, one pass on the coarse stone and one on the fine stone, that's good enough for 20 snaps, pin bones and all skinning, Victorinox knives (the best).

By the time the purists have got their knives sharpened my fish will be finishedLOL.

Cheers
The only bar to frequent is the Kawhia Bar
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 4:28pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ask any butcher or profeassional knife hand, chef or even a home cook, as to the diference in the quailty of the finished product between sharp knives and a rough edge that cuts because it is no more than a fine saw edge.

Once one starts to use a well edged knife to fillet fish , carve a roast , slice a tomato, one will never forget that experience.

Its not a "purist" thing at all.

Classic example given above, my neighbour, a well know personality and fisherman, far far more experienced than my self, who his m8s have given their knives to him to put and edge on for many yrs...then he uses my victory fillet knife going thru a pile of good sized snaps an KY..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 5:34pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MightyBoosh MightyBoosh wrote:

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Originally posted by MightyBoosh MightyBoosh wrote:

My fishing buddy uses a $2 bait knife for most of his filleting. The fact that it cost $2 indicates how old it is. The blade is about 3 inches long and stiff. There is not a scrap of meat left on a fish frame when he is done with it and he's damn fast! I've just seen him fillet a marlin with the same knife. Skills over equipment! 
Here's a little I know about knives.

1:  It is a polarising subject

There you go, proof! Big smile

I'm not polarised, I don't have those skills. Still looking for the holy grail and I've been through a pull-through knife sharpener, an electric knife sharpener, a Lansky system and now a whetstone and still not really satisfied. 

Andy have you been shown or taught how to do it or reading/videos and DIY perhaps?

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 9:55pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm using a whetstone at the moment. Learnt from the University of YouTube. Don't get me wrong, I can sharpen a carbon steel blade so that it can knock a snapper fillet off without difficulty (and I guess that's all that matters), but I wouldn't describe it as scary sharp.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 11:26am
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I got one of these off Aliexpress for under $40nz - brilliant
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 12:17pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Does that have the option to sharpen sissors?
 I ask because it is very similar , thu not as robust built, and the scissor sharpener my Dad had.. an old tradesman barber 
 I still have the stone rod part but missing the lower clamp part.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 1:11pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Here is what I use to convex/ strop our knives

Bit of high density sponge.. cnr of a red shed yoga mat or free sponge packaging. if got to buy the yoga mat about $9
 A  clipboard clip from $2 shop to hold the papers to the foam.
 Couple sheets of wet in dry paper.
 If starting from scratch on a knife a 600 grit
 Then 800
 Then 1200
 For maintenance just 1200
 About $1:50 each..
 A glass of water  free ish
 Maintenance 1 to 2 week intervals a sheet of 1200 will last for 4 kitchen knives, 3 filleting knives 2 bait knives around 3 to 4 months.
 About  1 to 2 mins per knife, even after 20 odd snapper.
 This is pretty much start of scary sharp, shave hairs on arm cleanly.
 Sry it just goes that sharp  cant do much so it doesnt.

And to take next stage.. scarry scarry sharp

leather barbers strop 
no idea what these cost today, would not be hard to make out of a couple scrap strips thick leather 
Rouge.. maybe $5 or $!0 for a block that will last more than a life time. 
couple teaspoons of paraffin/ kero near to free (not in pic)
 This finish take 2 to 3 minutes if so wish.

Page  <123