Tow vehicle

Page  123 5>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tow vehicle
    Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 11:41am
Coutta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Morning All
Looking for a bit of advice.  I'm looking at buying a VX Landcruiser 80 series. I've got a Senator 620 HT which I regularly tow from Rotorua to Tauranga and also for doing trips/holidays etc now I'm retired. I'll be looking at keeping the vehicle for a decent amount of time. 
Are they getting a bit long in the tooth (like me) or reliable enough for what I want?
Any input appreciated.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 12:06pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You can find reasonably low Km (130k - 160k) fresh off the boat imports in the market but they come at a pretty price, upwards of $25k in most instances. I got mine with certified 134k Km on the clock and apart from some well documented issues (water leaks around sunroof, window rattles & window relay that gave up) its been as solid as a rock. Worth having big end bearing and wheel bearings looked at with pre-purchase inspection. 

(Edit: I'm talking the deisel model, petrols cost a lot less)
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jackel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 1:01pm
jackel View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

At those prices north of 25K wouldnt you be better getting into a Ranger or Colorado at least the technology is of this decade. Sure the Landcruisers are tough and proven but for my money I would go more modern.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote White snake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 1:08pm
White snake View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Agree with you jackal.imports are not what they seem.dodgy kms and underlying issues.i know this is not always the case but I have heard of some horror stories re imports.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 1:24pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You're on the right track, get the Cruiser.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spear-time Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 2:02pm
Spear-time View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Had a 95 landcruiser for the last few years and just upgraded to a ranger. Completely different class of vehicle. Landcruiser are expensive if they break. For towing duty the ranger does a better job.
life begins where land ends
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 2:33pm
Coutta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yeah, listening about the newer technology.  Got an 09 Ssangyong at the moment and even though it tows and drives real well, I did an auto at 80k and a turbo at 112k. Looking for something that will go the distance without breaking the bank.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 2:40pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Got an 09 Ssangyong at the moment and even though it tows and drives real well, I did an auto at 80k and a turbo at 112k.

The pre , about 20011/12 had serious issues with boxes, post then gone to merc running gear.. all good.
 Thnu only have a 2.2T / 2.5T rating, thu pull 3t + npsWink
 The Rexton is rated 3.5T.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jackel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 3:04pm
jackel View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Not meaning to be a smart a--e but a Ssangyong is not a Ranger or Colorado. Not saying they are unbreakable but in another class to the other cheaper stuff. I have been in a Colorado towing a 7.5m heavy aluminium boat with inboard and three people in the ute. We towed up from Little Huia ramp to south auckland and thats pretty steep. Unbelievable pulling power and decent economy to boot. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 3:35pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not taken that way at all, fair comment.
but a Ssangyong is not a Ranger or Colorado.
 Agree thats why I have added the tow ratings.
If putting in order.. and a long steep hill out the back of Whitford.. 90km at the bottom, not thrashing the hell foot hard down, just sensible.. same boat same loading

Our bighorn (3.5T) slows to about 70/72..
 The 2L 2013 ssangyong (2.2T) workmate  around 76/78km 
The Colardo about 82
 the older model hilux 84/85

The new hi lux 87/88 km

And note tow rating doesnt always mean oris for towing on the road...more pulling something out of a mud hole at 2 or 3 km/hr. 
 M8 has a D max.. recons great getting thru the bush, hauling stuff on the farm.. but crap towing heavy stuff on the road when compared to other vehicles. .. I think the bighorn fits more into... and maybe the newer nissans also

So how heavy is a Senator 620 HT?
Recon all the following a little on the high side
 hull 850/900kg (?) 
motor 220kg  (?) 
200l fuel  150l  (?) 
batteries gear, 150  (?) 
Trailer 500 (?) 
 Total  2100/ 2200 kg (?) 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 4:18pm
Coutta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Empty about 1800kg according to Senator.  Add aux outboard, fuel and the rest of the bloody expensive gear needed to go fishing I'd guess at about 2t.  Like I said, the Ssangyong pulls it no worries. If anyone has towed through the gorge on HW 36 they'll know what I'm taking about.  Just looking at reviews on Holdens and other utes, seems they all have their problems for some owners.  The only big advantage I can see is resale.
Still like the old cruisers though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 5:07pm
puff View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

How much are you going to spend Coutta?
To be fair I’d say the rangers and Colorado Ssangyong etc are toys compared to a cruiser, as they need more time to prove their longevity and reliability....
Toyota reliability.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishy11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 5:43pm
Fishy11 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by puff puff wrote:

How much are you going to spend Coutta?
To be fair I’d say the rangers and Colorado Ssangyong etc are toys compared to a cruiser, as they need more time to prove their longevity and reliability....
Toyota reliability.....

Um...Ermm The Ssangyoung maybe, the others simply no.
Both the current gen Colorado and Ranger have been around since 2011 and have proven they can do the biz, thousands of examples around with high k's still going strong.
Toyota reliability? maybe in the 80'sLOL current gen/new hilux is dogsh*t compared to those two.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 6:27pm
puff View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I disagree.... driven both ranger and Colorado...and others
Got mates with both, One had a Hilux before and is going to return to it after he gets rid of his ranger...
Far to many problems with the ranger...
but we’re not here to bang on about it...
Let’s answer coutta question...
A land cruiser has legendary reliability and towing, that is why they hold there value and are sort after...
Be interesting to see how these highly strung diesel utes with every last bit of hp squeezed of of them will last...
I’d personally by a 3l Prado.... way better than any Ute as we have discussed many times before...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 6:54pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Owning Cruisers is addictive, I'm up to number 5.
Yes the new generation of utes are powerful, just don't get carried away with all the bolt on crap. A Cruiser owner will laugh at a ranger with every accessory known to man kind on it. The funniest thing I see is low profile mud tyres, pointless!!!
Puff is correct, they squeeze every last hp out of those engine's. Not a recipe for reliability.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishy11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 6:57pm
Fishy11 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Obviously living in a dream land... the new Hilux's are plagued by major issues. Don't believe me, go ask anyone actually in the know, heck even do a quick google.

Ranger has been the best selling vehicle of any kind in NZ for a number of years. As i said, there's thousands of rangers/ colorados in NZ with high k's still going strong, not like they've only been out a year or so. I've driven all the current gen utes bar the latest version of the Amarok(previous ones were crap though), my old work had a heap of Colorados and never had a issue. The new Triton is also pretty decent.
Ranger and Colorado both make more torque than all toyota landcruiser models besides the 4.5L Twin turbo(but obviously would use a heap more fuel). Heck they even make more torque than the 4.5L single turbo landcruiser. Most of the modern utes are making 100+nm more than most land curisers, prados etc and absolutely dump on them as far as towing and fuel economy goes. Get them chipped and you're talking even more torque and better economy than standard. That's not anecdotal b.s, that's provable facts and figures.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 7:01pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I don't recall seeing any rangers at the 4x4 Nationals other than the carpark.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishy11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 7:02pm
Fishy11 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

This whole thing of Toyota is more reliable than anything elseLOL You guys are seriously like a cult. It's all emperors clothes b.s.
For the record, a 10 year old land cruiser is only worth what's it's worth because people like you buy into the hype, also makes a difference when the vehicle was 30k or something more new than most of the current utes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishy11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 7:06pm
Fishy11 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by kitno kitno wrote:

I don't recall seeing any rangers at the 4x4 Nationals other than the carpark.

And? Thought we were talking tow wagons not the best comp 4x4Ermm
Keep talking anecdotal garbage thoughLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 7:10pm
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Y60 safari is the ducks nuts,or newer GU,engines are used for forklifts,civilian buses and other vehicles. TD42 of turbo equivalent. Regular services at 5 thou kms,trans cooler,overdrive lockup solinoid. I don't.know why people buy the newer hyped up "tow wagons". There is no replacement for displacement.
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Page  123 5>