Gurnard with warts

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jiggy Jig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gurnard with warts
    Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 5:14pm
Jiggy Jig View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi guys,
I've recently caught a couple of gurnard on the East coast, Mangawhai/Kawau area, with whitish 'warts' on the skin.
On skinning these gurnard the 'warts' are still present on the flesh of the fish. They may be lice bites, eggs or some other type of infection. I suppose I should have taken a photo, or even sent the fish off to NIWA or somebody for identification.
Have any of you guys come across these on gurnard and does anybody know what they are? 
Has the Fukushima nuclear contaminated waste water got to NZ already ? Angry 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 6:03pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Bit like that one Jiggy?
I caught that one out from Tauranga a few years ago.
They are relatively common but I'm not sure what the cause is.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote JB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 9:14pm
JB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Was it caught close to hamilton as I heard a lot of locals around hamilton have warts due to breeding in a close circle of friends
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 11:17pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

It's a very common condition with gurnard Jiggy, especially in the summer around these parts. It's harmless and the fish are ok. Can't see I've seen one as bad as in Uncle's pic.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 11:37pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Just looked up an old thread where Pro Fish answered saying it is a condition called lymphocytis.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jiggy Jig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 11:50pm
Jiggy Jig View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Uncle Uncle wrote:

Bit like that one Jiggy?
I caught that one out from Tauranga a few years ago.
They are relatively common but I'm not sure what the cause is.

No, not that bad Uncle, fewer and whiter, but maybe the early on set.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jiggy Jig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 11:52pm
Jiggy Jig View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Just looked up an old thread where Pro Fish answered saying it is a condition called lymphocytis.
Thanks for the replies and info Smudge - good to know it's not too serious - unless you're a gurnard Wink 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wanda_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 1:05am
Wanda_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Lymphocytis -  It's a viral infection. The pathogen is usually around waiting for a chance to get a foothold on a stressed, undernourished, or otherwise ill fish.

Does anyone eat them in that condition ?  I would just kill them n throw em back.
If you think you are too small to make a difference,try sleeping with a mosquito in your tent.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 6:42am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

It seems to be more common on older, larger gurnard. As mentioned the little bumps go into the flesh as well which I find a little offputting, so if I catch a decent size gurnard I always flip it upside down and check for lumps as they seem to start on the soft skin just below the large fins. If they're lumpy I just let them go - dunno why you would kill them as I figure a slightly lumpy gurnard breeds just as well.
The other thing to watch out for is post-spawn fish which are extremely skinny and the fillets tend to be soft and textureless.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Denny Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 10:47am
Denny Boy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Does anyone eat them in that condition ?  I would just kill them n throw em back.

Wanda Ra-can I ask you please why you would kill them? This was the attitude of our forefathers who used to kill everything they caught that wasn't what they wanted. I would like to think generations past that era now have the new mindset. 
As above this little fish can still breed and populate the sea bed for you to catch some nice gurnard in the future.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Waihime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 7:48pm
Waihime View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I eat them with the bumps. Don't notice them in the flesh once the fillet is cooked